NewsFeeder

Next-generation Toyota Camry revealed in patent filings?

23 posts in this topic

Filed under: Spy Photos, Sedan, Toyota

camrypatentpics000opt.jpg
Toyota Camry patent filings - Click above for high-res image gallery

Toyota may be having some brand image troubles, what with all of the bad press it has been getting lately, but we mustn't forget that the Japanese automaker produces many of America's most popular cars, including the best-selling car in the U.S., the Camry.

Those keeping close watch will remember that the Camry received a very minor facelift for the 2010 model year, with the car receiving more Corolla-like styling, albeit in a more substantial package. However, one of our tipsters sent us these United States Patent and Trademark Office filing images of what appears to be the next-generation Camry, possibly slated for the 2012 model year. The sedan's dimensions don't seem to have changed too much, and the overall styling theme is still very conservative - in fact, it looks more milquetoast than the 2010 model that is presently in dealerships. The front fascia ditches the angular design of the current car for a smoother, more traditional design, and we see more pronounced taillamps out back, likely using LED strips like those on the 2011 Avalon. If anything, the vehicle in these images looks similar to the ASEAN market Camry that was retouched last year, but it is still clearly different.

Timing-wise, we wouldn't expect to see the official reveal until later this year or even early next year (2011 Detroit Auto Show, perhaps?). In the meantime, click through the gallery below to see the patent filing scans from all angles. A tip of the hat to RPB!

[source: United States Patent and Trademark Office]

Next-generation Toyota Camry revealed in patent filings? originally appeared on Autoblog on Fri, 12 Mar 2010 20:00:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=GmDXUXJrDyw:VVRCL9nWfT4:wF9xT autoblog?i=GmDXUXJrDyw:VVRCL9nWfT4:V_sGL
GmDXUXJrDyw

View the full article

Really? That's it? That's what they're trying to sell as an all-new model, the current car with a new nose, ass, and probably a new interior? Consider the gap between Detroit and Toyota closed after the NG Malibu and Fusion debut.

EDIT: Before anyone says, "Durf-hurf this is just the Aurion, Autoblog didn't do research," ask yourself, "Why was this filed with the U.S. Patent Office if they weren't going to sell it here?"

Edited by whiteknight

It's probably a cheap `n easy refresh. Which is fine by me because the Taiwanese front and rear ends are much better, and make fix the only real aesthetic faults with the Camry we get.

The Taiwanese Camry is getting a refresh, guess what it looks like?

rc-112478.jpg

rc-112479.jpg

rc-112480.jpg

rc-112482.jpg

rc-112485.jpg

rc-112493.jpg

rc-112490.jpg

rc-112491.jpg

If this is what we're getting I'm fine with that. I like it. The front and rear ends no longer look like they are melting.

If this is what we're getting I'm fine with that. I like it. The front and rear ends no longer look like they are melting.

By the time it gets here, though, the Camry will be extremely stale versus the all-new Malibu and Fusion.

I'm expecting to read some embarrassing reviews.

Well the current car is only four years old. It's got another two years to complete an average life cycle.

That being said, the Camry is already a midpack car, it's that reputation that makes them sell, and we all know what's been going on lately.

Autoblog is wrong about it being a "next gen" car though, but then they called the Avalon redesigned, which it most certainly is not.

Well the current car is only four years old. It's got another two years to complete an average life cycle.

That being said, the Camry is already a midpack car, it's that reputation that makes them sell, and we all know what's been going on lately.

Autoblog is wrong about it being a "next gen" car though, but then they called the Avalon redesigned, which it most certainly is not.

Why would you say the Avalon is not redesigned? It already received a MCE 2 years ago. It was ridiculously subtle (the MCE for the current Camry was bolder than the Avalon MCE). I mean, I wouldn't call the redesign drastic--it's evolutionary.

Since when do the automakers file images of upcoming product with the patent office anyway?

This and the Malibu are the only examples ever attributed to that source I have ever heard of.

What's going on here?

Since when do the automakers file images of upcoming product with the patent office anyway?

This and the Malibu are the only examples ever attributed to that source I have ever heard of.

What's going on here?

With Chinese copy spree, it started in EU. Many MB and BMW drawings have been leaked like this.

Why would you say the Avalon is not redesigned? It already received a MCE 2 years ago. It was ridiculously subtle (the MCE for the current Camry was bolder than the Avalon MCE). I mean, I wouldn't call the redesign drastic--it's evolutionary.

Because most of the sheetmetal is still the same. It has new front and rear fascias and a new dash. that's about it.

Yeah there's no way that's an all new model--the styling is virtually identical.

there's really only one thing they would need to get a patent on for a new camry....

i think i found those photos here

Edited by regfootball

Sorry, I looked at it last night and immediately fell asleep at my computer. Just woke up. Yes it is a consummate bore, but a more pleasant consummate bore than the current car. And we all know all carmakers say a model is "all-new" and "redesigned" even when it has the lightest restyling.

And the Durango.

The Durango ate my baby.

I just hope this one does not drive itself. I guess the bigger concern is not having other drivers getting drowsy at the sight of this majestic beast.

Congrats Toyota, you managed to make the Camry even duller than it was before.

I didn't think this car could get any blander or more forgettable; I've just been proven wrong. With Toyota's overhyped quality/reliability rep blown to bits, is there anything about this car that stands out from the rest of the mainstream midsize sedan class? Why would I choose this car over a Fusion, Malibu, Altima, Mazda6, or 2011 Sonata (all of which look more attractive to me from an exterior design perspective)?

It looks like a cleaner design than the current, which is more like a giant blob.

Autoblog fail. I've seen this "next-generation" Camry everywhere in Asia. It's much nicer than the ones made for the US.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor