Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

BMW Officially Reveals the 5-Series Touring [60 High-Res Photos]

24 posts in this topic

BMW Officially Reveals the 5-Series Touring [60 High-Res Photos]

This is officially the release of the 5-Series Touring (see our previous post here) and the car's exactly what you think it is in every way: a station wagon version of BMW's 5-Series, and a damn sight prettier than the postmodern 5GT.

That means that just about anything available on the 2011 5-Series saloon (Variable Damper Control, 8-Speed Sport automatic gearbox, EfficientDynaics technology) will also be offered on the wagon.

The four engines at launch will be the 520d (184HP 2.0L diesel), 530d (245HP 3.0L diesel), 523i (204HP 3.0L petrol), and 535i (306HP 3.0L turbo petrol). Being a touring model, it's obviously meant to be a more utilitarian take on the 5-Series.

Taking this into consideration, everything needed to get the kids to the vet or the dog to school is available: split-folding rear seat (40/20/40), luggage cover attached to the rear hatch, unique opening rear hatch window, load-leveling suspension, and roof rails (available in matte aluminum, matte black, or gloss black).

The Touring 5-er's storage space has grown by 60 liters to 560 liters (19.8 cu ft) with the seats up, or 1,670 liters (59 cu ft) with the seats folded down. Also, BMW seems to have fixed the issue of the rear seats' lean-in to the cargo area.

If necessary, the seats can be fixed in a more-upright position, adding 30 liters (1.06 cu ft) of space in the rear, while keeping the rear seats functional and straightening your kids' spines. They call it "Extended Storage"; I call it a free trip to the chiropractor.

Like other upcoming BMW models, EfficientDynamics plays a key role in the car's...efficiency.

That means Start/Stop tech, a gear shift indicator for those people who can drive with two feet, and, "completing the panoply [Noun: a magnificent or impressive array] of BMW's...EfficientDynamics package are Brake Energy Regeneration, Active Aerodynamics, Low rolling resistance tires, Electric Power Steering and lightweight engineering throughout the vehicle."

With the newest generation, BMW debuts a few 5-Series Touring firsts: "The BMW 520d Touring is the first 5 Series to come with Auto Start-Stop, reducing the engine idle period when coming to a short stop". The Touring can also be fitted with "four-wheel Integral Active Steering", which helps cut the turning radius.

If you live in Europe, BMW's latest executive tourer goes on sale in September.

link:

http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2010/03/bmw-officially-reveals-5-series-touring.html

nice. BMW still hasn't gotten fully debangled yet though.

nice. BMW still hasn't gotten fully debangled yet though.

And yet the Bangled 7-Series set sales records for BMW in that segment, traditionally dominated by the Mercedes S-Class... Interesting :AH-HA:

>>"If necessary, the seats can be fixed in a more-upright position, adding 30 liters (1.06 cu ft) of space in the rear, while keeping the rear seats functional and straightening your kids' spines. They call it "Extended Storage"..."<<

:roflmao:

-- -- -- -- --

Not that long ago, BMW pulled the 5 wagon from the U.S. market for terrible sales - this is the same thing in the same segment!

Oh well- looking forward to the CTS vs 5 wagon tests.

Edited by balthazar

>>"If necessary, the seats can be fixed in a more-upright position, adding 30 liters (1.06 cu ft) of space in the rear, while keeping the rear seats functional and straightening your kids' spines. They call it "Extended Storage"..."<<

:roflmao:

-- -- -- -- --

Not that long ago, BMW pulled the 5 wagon from the U.S. market for terrible sales - this is the same thing in the same segment!

Oh well- looking forward to the CTS vs 5 wagon tests.

The new 5 wagon isn't coming to the US because of terrible past sales. Too bad, because it's a far more intelligent vehicle than a heavier, slower, thirstier, more cramped, and more ponderous SUV.

This looks like a great car. Too bad that this, like the Scirocco, won't be sold stateside. :(

Hmm let us see. Which one wins the beauty and utility contest.

This?

2011-BMW-5-Series-Touring-20.jpg

Or This?

BMW-5-Series-Gran-Turismo-08-lg.jpg

10-4 on the no U.S. sales.

Is the wagon expected to weigh 5300 lbs like the GT ??

For refefence; that's more than a '76 Eldorado convert. with a cast-iron 8.2L V-8.

For refefence; that's more than a '76 Eldorado convert. with a cast-iron 8.2L V-8.

Pretty close - 4,938 lbs. Gives like 21 mpg on Highway. Yay for matching the fuel economy of Silverado which is some 600 lb heavier and has two less gears to play with and much more capability. (I got SMK bug of comparing apples to watermelons).

5000 lb 5-series wagon = The Ultimate Steamrolling Machine.

WTH is going on over there ?? Is there ANY aluminum in it??

With all the plastic, it must have 10 miles of wire in it.

I do not know. And people bitch about Acadia weighing too much (4,732 4x2, 4,936 4x4). This one weighs as much as an Acadia, which is a much larger vehicle. The BOF Silverado 4x4 single cab starts at 4,600 lb.

I cannot comprehend how did the vehicle gain 800 lb over the 5 wagon? Heck it is as much as the X5 (5,335) and X6 (5,269) lbs.

To GM's credit (or discredit) it uses lower quality steel which will gain weight to have more structural rigidity. But that should not be an excuse for the technologically advanced car manufacturer like BMW!

Either BMW's structure is as hard as a moose's dick during mating season, or it is sandbagging people by not using high strength materials.

The previous gen (Bangle) 5 series had an aluminum front structure, IIRC. It was costly to make and costly to repair, I think they don't have that on the new generation..

The previous gen (Bangle) 5 series had an aluminum front structure, IIRC. It was costly to make and costly to repair, I think they don't have that on the new generation..

It wasn't the structure. The body panels which were made of aluminum were bad to mold or fix. It is the same hydro-forming technology GM has been using in pickup panels and was used in Pontiac Solstice.

It's a shame we won't see it here. It is a beautiful wagon.

Nope, instead we get the GT. :palm:

The wagon makes more sense than the Gran Turismo or X6. Those vehicles can't go offroad and don't have that much cargo space, so you might as well just get the sedan or wagon and have better handing, acceleration and fuel economy. The new 535i sedan is over 4,000 lbs, BMWs are getting heavy, which is a potential weakness of theirs. Because BMWs are known for being light and nimble, especially the 90s ones. The next generation XK is going to be all aluminum, Jag just keeps looking better.

The wagon makes more sense than the Gran Turismo or X6. Those vehicles can't go offroad and don't have that much cargo space, so you might as well just get the sedan or wagon and have better handing, acceleration and fuel economy. The new 535i sedan is over 4,000 lbs, BMWs are getting heavy, which is a potential weakness of theirs. Because BMWs are known for being light and nimble, especially the 90s ones. The next generation XK is going to be all aluminum, Jag just keeps looking better.

BMWs haven't been known for being particularly light for quite some time. They're just known for holding their weight well, I suppose. Consider the e39. My 540/6 weighs in at about 3740. The e39 originally came out in 95 as a 96 model. The e39 touring was definitely heavier than this. At least 4000 lbs I believe. I'd say the weight of vehicles today has gone through a somewhat reasonably gradual increase in relation to content. It could even be considered a relative decrease depending on how you look at it.

Meh...looking at the numbers again, 5000 lbs is horrid for any car. Absolutely awful.

Edited by Nick

No, Z-06 was talking about the 5-series GT, which indeed weighs 4938 lbs with the twin-turbo V8.

The new 5-series wagon weighs waaay less at 3780 lbs for the four-banger diesel to 4067 lbs for the turbo inline-six. Much of the suspension and exterior, including the doors, are made from aluminum.

The GT is a 5 in name only; it's actually a hatchbacked version of the 7. Both cars share the same interiors and wheelbase.

5300 lbs is for the X6 coupe-truck-thingy, not the GT (a "progressive activity sedan.")

Edited by pow

Dear BMW, please burn the GT with fire and replace it with the wagon. At least it isn't an ugly, pointless, useless turd.

Signed,

Anyone blessed with the gift of sight.

It wasn't the structure. The body panels which were made of aluminum were bad to mold or fix. It is the same hydro-forming technology GM has been using in pickup panels and was used in Pontiac Solstice.

No, the E60 had an aluminum structure from firewall forward. The new F10 has reverted back to a conventional steel monocoque with aluminum body panels.

Dear BMW, please burn the GT with fire and replace it with the wagon. At least it isn't an ugly, pointless, useless turd.

Signed,

Anyone blessed with the gift of sight.

I seriously recommend you do not comment further until you see one in the metal, because I swear your disgust will grow exponentially after that :P

That thing is beyond ugly...

I seriously recommend you do not comment further until you see one in the metal, because I swear your disgust will grow exponentially after that :P

That thing is beyond ugly...

Wholehearted Yes.

Saw it in Detroit Autoshow. Good Lord - it is worse than watching corpses with cutaway muscles.

No, the E60 had an aluminum structure from firewall forward. The new F10 has reverted back to a conventional steel monocoque with aluminum body panels.

I stand corrected.