Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Goodbye Fleetwood...

2006 GMC Envoy SLT 4WD (Summit White, Ebony Leather)

844712141.jpg

Friday night, I traded-in the '96 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham and took delivery of this GM Certified '06 GMC Envoy. I gotta to say that while I loved the FWB, and wanted one for many, many years, I'm a truck guy true-and-true and could not be happier now that I'm back in a GMC. After our leasing experience with a 2005 GMC Envoy SLT 4WD (August '05 - June '08), I missed the Envoy the last year & a half and have been searching one out. Enter caddycruiser (Derek) and his recommendation of Pointe Pontiac-Buick-GMC in southern NJ (way south!), and two-three weeks later I take delivery.

Friday night was the beginning of the nor'easter, and I left my camera at home, so I didn't get a shot at delivery like I always do with my vehicles. Saturday's 60+ MPH winds and rain did not allow for picture taking, and family errand yesterday put that on the back burner too. Enjoy the dealership's picture for now :P

I know not everyone here likes or admires the Envoy, but it is something I'm happy to have in my fleet again and it puts me back in to a truck-based (BOF) SUV - which I couldn't be happier driving :)

2006 GMC Envoy SLT 4WD (Summit White, Ebony Leather)

844712141.jpg

Friday night, I traded-in the '96 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham and took delivery of this GM Certified '06 GMC Envoy. I gotta to say that while I loved the FWB, and wanted one for many, many years, I'm a truck guy true-and-true and could not be happier now that I'm back in a GMC. After our leasing experience with a 2005 GMC Envoy SLT 4WD (August '05 - June '08), I missed the Envoy the last year & a half and have been searching one out. Enter caddycruiser (Derek) and his recommendation of Pointe Pontiac-Buick-GMC in southern NJ (way south!), and two-three weeks later I take delivery.

Friday night was the beginning of the nor'easter, and I left my camera at home, so I didn't get a shot at delivery like I always do with my vehicles. Saturday's 60+ MPH winds and rain did not allow for picture taking, and family errand yesterday put that on the back burner too. Enjoy the dealership's picture for now :P

I know not everyone here likes or admires the Envoy, but it is something I'm happy to have in my fleet again and it puts me back in to a truck-based (BOF) SUV - which I couldn't be happier driving :)

Congrats to you sir!! I am so happy for you. You drive your Envoy with pride.

That looks like the Solstice caddycruiser posted a photo of in an earlier thread.

But ANYHOO... congrats on the Envoy! Many happy miles to you, sir.

It is! And it's still there...and I still want it! I think it could fit right in the back of my matching white Avalanche...

Sad to see Roger's Fleetwood go, especially on trade, but glad he got to experience my great little hole in the wall of a dealer in way south Jersey and made a deal on a CPO Envoy like he wanted to have again. We're Summit White truck brotha's now, heh :AH-HA:

Or at least the full two years Rodger seems to keep cars....:neenerneener:

Now it is your turn Mr.

Seriously :AH-HA: Come on now, make it 3, make it 3.

Oh, and Roger & I have discussed our "new car itch" at length for some time now, but I think my flipping still beats his #'s by a long shot...hah...

Overall, he lived up up to what may have been expected. Leased new GM after new GM, always had the eye to owning a Fleetwood, found the holy grail of one and at my recommendation, to go cheap (enough) and used, and see how it worked. It worked, but just wasn't him and didn't answer enough of the family demands. Happy Envoy :booyah:

Edited by caddycruiser

Oldsmoboi - you're too funny!! And it's been 3 years on average due to leasing :P I think this one will be with me for a long time, since I plan to use it a lot for family duty and make many happy memories taking it on trips (I can't wait to bring home the new baby in it in July).

caddycrusier hit the nail on the head... after leasing new GM vehicles for 10 years and buying (financing) a few in between (that I didn't end up keeping), and trying to make an older Caddy work for my as a daily driver, I determined that new-ish was what I really wanted - especially since that was what I was accustomed to in the long run - and it had to be a truck or truck-based SUV to satisfy my needs. I considered a Pontiac Torrent GXP, but the back seat wasn't wide enough for a soon-to-be family of five, and the Buick Rainier I found (silver) sold before I could get out to see it. Ultimately though it was my love of GMC that made me decide on an Envoy (I searched CPO Yukons, but there were none out there in my price range). The Envoy is nice in that it's larger than the GMT-355 crew cab trucks but not quite as large as the GMT-800/900 SUVs (but close). As much as I've wanted and have always loved the Fleetwood Brougham, I just couldn't make it my own and accept it as my driver for the next 2-3 years. I am sad to see it go, but have been happy with the Envoy since driving off the lot with it Friday night. And as I've known for a long, long time, I am a truck-guy deep down inside and will never be satisfied with a car as my daily driver.

To all that wished me congratulations and many happy miles with the Envoy, THANK YOU!! :metal: I know my Automotive Attention Deficit Disorder (AutoADD) has been in over-hyper mode the past few years here with many posts asking about particular vehicles, but with the addition of the Envoy to my fleet I think that will be the check system I need. I know I'll always want something else, but the Envoy gives me what I've been craving in the long run.

I will post more pictures within the next week, as the weather is forecasted to improve in the next day or two, and the recent flood waters recede from my favorite picture-taking spot :lol:

I still like our choice in colors (or lack thereof) most of all :AH-HA:

Picture shoot coming in time. Envoy meet Avalanche. ADD will continue, but like with my Av, I think we both now have something that checks off enough boxes on the "I've always wanted one" card to keep up appeased for longer than usual.

I think we both now have something that checks off enough boxes on the "I've always wanted one" card to keep up appeased for longer than usual.

I'd like to agree with you, but I know how my AutoADD works!! You may have your ultimate machince for now, and while the Envoy satisfies all that I need from a truck/SUV at this time, I still desire a Sierra Crew Cab 4WD. What's stopping me from getting a brand new one is my fianances. Maybe by the time the Envoy is paid-off my situation will have improved and I can then get a Sierra, but you are correct in that the Envoy satisfies me now and for the foreseeable future :lol:

Maybe by the time the Envoy is paid-off my situation will have improved and I can then get a Sierra, but you are correct in that the Envoy satisfies me now and for the foreseeable future :lol:

It's always "for now" :AH-HA:

If it weren't, GM & others would be in trouble without people like us.

Happy for you Rodger I probably inspected many of the parts used to build her. GM Truck & Bus Moraine was 90% of the work we did till the plant shut down & we did too. One point of failure is the Chimsl (body colored 3rd brake light surround)the brass nutserts come out of the plastic body and become a surf board & 65mph. I75 is littered with them here @ the Crossroads of America :smilewide: That's the only silly thing I can think of that they went through 3 suppliers & all had the same results. Most sorts were very short term the plant was on their suppliers in a heartbeat. Every bit as high quality build as Hondas Marysville or East Liberty plants I know, in & out of them for 5 yrs.

It's always "for now" :AH-HA:

If it weren't, GM & others would be in trouble without people like us.

You've got that right pal!! And before anyone says otherwise, I specifically looked for a GM Certified vehicle to purchase; while not counting as part of GM's monthly NEW vehicle sales, I figured it still helps them out somehow (and in the process keeps their dealers in business vs. buying a used Envoy from a non-GM dealership). GM got plenty of money from me between May of 1999 and June of 2008 with new vehicle sales (6 GMAC SmartLeases, 3 GMAC loans), and as soon as my situation improves I can see another 'new' GM vehicle gracing my driveway :)

Happy for you Rodger I probably inspected many of the parts used to build her. GM Truck & Bus Moraine was 90% of the work we did till the plant shut down & we did too. One point of failure is the Chimsl (body colored 3rd brake light surround)the brass nutserts come out of the plastic body and become a surf board & 65mph. I75 is littered with them here @ the Crossroads of America :smilewide: That's the only silly thing I can think of that they went through 3 suppliers & all had the same results. Most sorts were very short term the plant was on their suppliers in a heartbeat. Every bit as high quality build as Hondas Marysville or East Liberty plants I know, in & out of them for 5 yrs.

Thank you for the information. Is there anything I should have the dealer do to check on the surround? They're willing to fix anything I find wrong by this weekend, and then the GM Cerified Bumper-to-Bumper warranty will be used afterwards until March '11 (or 12,000 miles) - that doesn't automatically mean they'll willingly cover certain repairs though. Is there a TSB # I can reference, or a recall notice available, on that particular issue? Do you think my unqualified self can check it out first - would it be noticeable to a novice mechanic-in-training? :lol:

I took some pictures of the Envoy yesterday but fell asleep before being able to post them here. Expect to see them tonight :AH-HA:

Awesome shots, Roger, awesome!

I wish I had checked out that truck the day I actually spent at Pointe not long ago. Looks like it's in incredible shape, like honestly new, at least in pictures. Great. Catches my eye, for sure. Nice Pointe advertising too--I actually kept the sticker on my G8, because I liked them so much--wanted to advertise :AH-HA:

Awesome shots, Roger, awesome!

I wish I had checked out that truck the day I actually spent at Pointe not long ago. Looks like it's in incredible shape, like honestly new, at least in pictures. Great. Catches my eye, for sure. Nice Pointe advertising too--I actually kept the sticker on my G8, because I liked them so much--wanted to advertise :AH-HA:

Thanks for the picture compliments. The picture on the bridge is from my favorite "picture spot" (the same place as the brick wall shots). If you look past the bridge you can see water... that's 6.5 feet above flood stage for that area!! Normally the water is not noticeable in pictures, one of the reasons why I wanted a shot on the bridge. There's a dam about 20 feet past this bridge - well, there was a dam there!! Because of the water being 6.5 feet higher, the water is flowing right over the top of the dam. Attached are some pictures I snapped while there of the dam covered by the flood water.

I gave the Envoy a quick bath tonight, concentrating on the wheels and wheel wells because of yesterday's photo shoot. The red clay/mud from the parking area of that park was wet and it covered the inside of the wells with a thin & noticeable layer, plus the tires looked muddy and there was read clay/mud spalsh-up on the fenders (not nice looking for a truck riding around with dealership tags still!). Other than a few hairline scratches in the paint, there's one small dent in the black metal trim on the bottom of the driver's door trim. Not sure how it got there, interesting story I'm sure, but for a 4 year old truck it's in great shape (one of the reasons I wanted to snap it up). Having only 34,942 miles when I took delivery (about 12k less than average for it's age), and apparently female-owned (previous lease; can tell by the original "1" setting of the memory seat :lol: ), a lot of my neighbors think it's a new or leftover '09 model (they're surprised when I tell them it turned 4 y-o on March 6th).

And as I washed and dried the truck tonight, I contemplated removing the "Pointe" dealer decal off the back. I've done that with every other dealer decal on all my other vehicles (unless I caught them before one was put on), but don't mind if they leave a dealership license plate frame on though for some free advertising. I left it for the time being, but will remove it before I wash, clay bar, and wax the Envoy this spring.

post-418-12688842401157.jpg

post-418-12688845556003.jpg

post-418-12688845771355.jpg

Edited by GMTruckGuy74

Nice :AH-HA:

I left my Pointe sticker on for a while, I should have said, for the first few months then it came off too. The Atlanta dealer one came off my Av already, since it was peeling.

And yes, nice truck. Just washed mine last night too. Got home, it was still bright and the white was looking crusty. Basic white can be a bit annoying to clean, but you can see the grime and just gotta keep washing. Shades of silver are still easier, but white is a classic.

WOW!!!!

Nice, Roger ... CONGRATULATIONS! Looks great. :)

Cort | 36swm.IL | "Mr Monte Carlo"."Mr Road Trip" | pig valve.pacemaker * NoreastrTrek.Aug2010 *

WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"The tide's gonna turn & it's all gonna roll your way" ... Dolly Parton ... '9 to 5'

Great looking SUV! I love the color combo and the updated chrome wheels they had on the SLT for the last few years. Wishing you many worry free miles with the smooth 4200 Vortec powered GMC!

Thank you! While I've never owned a white vehicle, and was not out specifically looking for white, I do like white on trucks and the paint on this truck is in phenomenal shape for being 4 years old. It's bright and clean and looks very nice in person. I purchased the Meguire's clay bar kit this past weekend and will give the truck a full-detail over spring break in less than two weeks. The 4.2 Atlas I6 engine was a very good engine in our leased 2005 Envoy SLT 4WD (it gave us great service during its 34 month, 44k tenure), and was one of the reasons I wanted another GMT-360. The 17" chrome rims were new on the Envoy for 2006 and are re-capped Oldsmobile Bravada (and Buick Rainier) rims - though I prefer the new-for-2007 18" polished rims better (and will likely look for a take-off set at this year's car shows).

WOW!!!!

Nice, Roger ... CONGRATULATIONS! Looks great. :)

Cort | 36swm.IL | "Mr Monte Carlo"."Mr Road Trip" | pig valve.pacemaker * NoreastrTrek.Aug2010 *

WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"The tide's gonna turn & it's all gonna roll your way" ... Dolly Parton ... '9 to 5'

While not as unique or offers the presence the '96 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham did, I am much happier with the Envoy and look forward to taking it on road trips soon (with the FWB, I was not as confident taking it on long distances). Thanks for the compliment!!

As far as the Chimsl they had me torque the factory Torx head bolts into the brass inserts to I believe 20" lbs (converted from metric specs) DON'T OVER TORQUE if this works the Factory was happy

Best of luck and enjoy I sure would

Congrats, Roger!

Glad to see you back in your natural habitat: a GMC!

Thanks! Me too... 21 months since the last GMC and truck, so my patience paid off :) I just didn't feel right being called "GMTruckGuy74" without owning a truck :P

Looks great!

Thanks!

As far as the Chimsl they had me torque the factory Torx head bolts into the brass inserts to I believe 20" lbs (converted from metric specs) DON'T OVER TORQUE if this works the Factory was happy

Best of luck and enjoy I sure would

Thanks for the info on the Chimsl. I am definitely enjoying it so far. I was initially excited about the new '10 GMC Terrain, but the back seat width is not accommodating for three across (especially with one child booster seat, a soon-to-arrive infant carrier, and one adult and/or tall teen), and cargo space is limited in the rear area. Add in the fact that I want the V6 engine, AWD, and the SLT-2 package (all expensive options), and considering that it's not really a truck-based SUV (lower ground clearance, lower towing rating, doesn't have that 'truck' presence - when compared to an Envoy), it made my decision to find a CPO Envoy easier. I still like the Terrain and will recommend it to people that need a decent-sized family of 4 hauler, but for now it's not the CUV for me.

• 4 weeks later...

Congrats, good to hear you're happy.

That being said someday that 96 Fleetwood will be a coveted classic while the Envoy is just another SUV.

Still, I do love those Atlas INLINE-6 motors.

I think the Fleetwood sold again...no longer on the dealer site...hope it has a nice new home...

I even showed my father, who no longer drives his white/red '93 but still complains about it, and got a "how much? Where? I'd buy it..." It's all in the black. When he first wanted one of these cars, he had to have a black one "just makes the car" but every one was trashed. Ended up with the pristine white one, then I got a silver one...shame. Who knows where that car will turn up next...

Congrats, good to hear you're happy.

That being said someday that 96 Fleetwood will be a coveted classic while the Envoy is just another SUV.

Still, I do love those Atlas INLINE-6 motors.

Me too (Atlas 4200 I-6), one of the main reasons for getting another GMT-360 was because of my affection for that motor.

I get what you are saying about the Envoy being just "another nameless" SUV on the road in comparison to the FWB, but even though I was channeling you when I bought it last August, it just wasn't cutting it for me as a daily driver. Now if I could have kept it as a third car/occasional use vehicle, then it would have been fine, but finances don't allow for that now.

I think the Fleetwood sold again...no longer on the dealer site...hope it has a nice new home...

I even showed my father, who no longer drives his white/red '93 but still complains about it, and got a "how much? Where? I'd buy it..." It's all in the black. When he first wanted one of these cars, he had to have a black one "just makes the car" but every one was trashed. Ended up with the pristine white one, then I got a silver one...shame. Who knows where that car will turn up next...

I hope so! It looked so sad parked in the back of the dealership near all the other non-frontline used vehicles, during the two times I saw it on return trips to the dealer for service. As much as I love those cars, my heartstrings weren't pulled the way they were when I had to turn in my '01 Sonoma Highrider and '05 Envoy SLT (lease termination). I was glad to see it, but didn't have the regret I thought I would upon seeing it again the first time. Here's hoping the new owner continues to take care of that very original Caddy FWB.

• 3 weeks later...

:hijacked:

RuRoh! I might be going the other way but still in white! Tonight I test drove a '91 Caprice wagon.... it's in great shape with 111k miles and it would do well for me as a work vehicle (since I already have experience with the FrankenWagon) He's asking $2200, I might offer him $1800 on friday.

The old gen small block is easier & cheaper to maintain but is thirstier with fuel. That said it must still be awfully clean for you to contemplate purchase. That price is kinda high for around here, are they going that high where you are Olds?

It's a 2 owner car and the current owner has owned it for 10 years. I'm not that concerned with fuel economy because it just going to be rumbling the few miles from my house to my various apartment buildings.

It is in very clean shape. Everything works.

What do you think I should offer?

Hell yes their great cars haul things out of the weather& their a car (which I prefer) very comfortable roof rack of a usable height. Scope out C/L for prices in your area & offer something reasonable if he's high. I do understand prices are up after $4clunckers hell they want $1K for some cars with blown engines & almost any truck with problems. Good luck on your purchase in fleets they go 1/2 million miles.

Who was it that had the Caprice ex taxi with over 300K miles it was Orange even this goes WAY back! Before 2005 I think.

• 3 weeks later...

1d7b1f46.jpg

Awesome plate, GMTG!

And Olds ... you buy that Caprice?

Cort | 36.m.IL | "Mr Monte Carlo"."Mr Road Trip" | pig valve.pacemaker * NoreastrTrekRT=Aug2010 *

MCs.Caprice | models.HO.legos.CHD.RadioShows | RTs.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"Look what you've done" ... Restless Heart ... 'Fast Movin' Train'