Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

You'll never guess which midsize sedan wins MT's latest comparo...

19 posts in this topic

Filed under: Sedan, Chevrolet, Ford, Honda, Hyundai, Mazda, Nissan, Subaru, Toyota

toyotallcooljopt.jpg

Ah yes, the good ol' midsize sedan. Bastion of the American family car set and holder of most automaker's sales crowns, as well as that of the best-selling automobile in the United States. As pointed out by Motor Trend, only three car nameplates have held the top sales spot in America in the last 20 years: the Ford Taurus, Honda Accord and Toyota Camry.

Of course, the current midsize sedan sales leader is none other than the aforementioned Camry. Unless you've been living under a rock for the last few months, you're certainly aware that Toyota has found itself in the hot seat with numerous claims of unintended acceleration and two separate recalls that are meant to deal with such safety defects.

Besides its recent safety woes, Toyota has had to deal with constant pressure from every other automaker seeking to dethrone the Camry as the midsize sales leader. So, the natural question is whether or not the segment stalwart can maintain its edge in the face of such stiff competition and a newly sullied reputation. MT sought the answer in its latest comparo.

These days, Ford's numero-uno midsize sedan is the Fusion, which was significantly redesigned this year, and that car won the coveted Motor Trend Car of the Year Award for 2010. Also new-for-2010 (as a 2011 model) are the Hyundai Sonata, which features swoopy new duds and a high-tech four-cylinder powertrain, and the Subaru Legacy, which is the only model in the segment to come standard with all-wheel drive.

Though not all-new for '10, the Chevrolet Malibu and Nissan Altima are certainly perennial power players in the midsize sedan segment, and as such were included in MT's comparison test. With introductions out of the way, who do you think could have grabbed the top spot in Motor Trend's comparison test of these seven leading midsize sedans? Hint: See the photo above. Suffice it to say... we were a bit surprised. Click here to see for yourself.

In related news, the boys from Inside Line have gone a slightly different route with a much smaller midsize sedan comparison, pitting the 2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2010 Mazda6 and 2010 Honda Accord together in a winner-takes-all fight. Click here for the results.

Do you agree with either MT or IL, or would you rank them totally differently? Have your say in 'Comments.'

[sources: Motor Trend, Inside Line]

You'll never guess which midsize sedan wins MT's latest comparo... originally appeared on Autoblog on Wed, 17 Mar 2010 16:55:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Read | Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=EjyX300ATUY:PMTSK2XEBTI:wF9xT autoblog?i=EjyX300ATUY:PMTSK2XEBTI:V_sGL
EjyX300ATUY

View the full article

Camry doing that well is surprising. Fusion and Sonata near the top makes sense, I thought the Sonata would win. Although Edmunds picked the Sonata over the Accord and Mazda. Accord seems to be slipping a little bit, but it goes to show how competitive this segment is. Looks like the Malibu is poised for Avis duty at this point.

This is a load of BS and I'm sure this proves that Motor Trend is on the take. There as SMK pointed out the Hyundai is better. Also, the Fusion is better too. The Camry is dated and dangerous.

No surprise..the Camry has long been, and will long remain America's favorite FWD generic sedan. Genericans love Camrys.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

10 magazines could have ten comparos and 10 different cars could win.

the midsize class is really competitive now. buy what you like, not what the geeks tell ya.

1. Malibu

2. Fusion

3. Accord

4. Camry

5. Altima

999. Sebring

That's IT! I'm canceling my subscription! oh wait, i did that 20 years ago. mvrmnd.

"It excels at nothing" and yet wins first place. My brain is full of fuck right now.

1. Malibu

2. Fusion

3. Accord

4. Camry

5. Altima

999. Sebring

More like...

1. Fusion
  2. Sonata
  3. Mazda6
  4. Accord
  5. Malibu

9001 Sebring

I think we can all agree that the Avenger/Sebring is by far the worst entrant. The Galant is probably the second worse. Personally I like the Sonata and Fusion in this class. The Accord is good, but too generic and bland. Mazda 6 looks decent.

I think it's worth remembering that company woes mean nothing to the ratings of the car. If that were the case, all domestic entries would have low scores just for being connected to bankrupt organizations.

The Galant is probably the second worse.

Holy God, I completely forgot that vehicle existed.

"It excels at nothing" and yet wins first place. My brain is full of fuck right now.

1. Malibu

2. Fusion

3. Accord

4. Camry

5. Altima

999. Sebring

The Mali? Why? The Fusion beats it BAD, hands down.

Holy God, I completely forgot that vehicle existed.

Whuts a Gay-lunt? Sounds liek a ferrin jab.

Galant really is not a terrible car. But it probably is close to rear in this segment. 5/60 warranty though.

I was BSing with a friend the other day who is also a GM fan and he said he had some interest in the Mazda6 because of good reviews .....but then he sat in one.....

I have driven many of the cars in this segment and honestly to me, only the Sebring drives badly of all the ones I have tested. And that is only when comparing in mind. If you have not bought new in 8 years and you drive a Sebring you may think its the best thing since sliced bread.

i have already cooled on the new Sonata. I fell out of love with styling that really wants to be a toyota knockoff. And, the interior is indeed kind of cheap....although all the cars in this class have interior cheapness in spots.

The fusion probably covers most of the markets bases and is the most balanced in the overall portfolio. I like it, but i won't put it exclusively at the top. honestly i probably would enjoy the spunkiness and personality of the malibu more than a fusion.

after spending 900 miles in a new 2010 altima rental and thinking how i was simultaneously impressed with how livable and competent it was and how dull and unexciting at the same time, it really made me think that there are so many good cars in this class and yet none have passion and soul. they are consumer devices.

I sure hope that Regal excites me. Not holding my breath.....just cautiously hoping. driving cars in this class make you want to step up to a lacrosse, 300, or taurus if you can swing the payment.

The Passat is probably the best driver in this class from my test drives but the hitch is that the Passat is not a 20,000 dollar base car or a car that can be had for 17 grand like the Fusion or Malibu can. Not even the Honda did anything for me. The Malibu has a spunk that is admirable but it doesn't even cover all the bases.

The Camry wins with MT because it is novacaine for the masses. MT always gravtitates to not sticking its neck out and simply following consumer sentiment from like 2 years before hand.

Edited by regfootball

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0