NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

1975 and 1985 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight

5 posts in this topic

This was the Ninety Eight that when I was a child that made me want a Ninety Eight when I grew up. I have a 1995 Ninety Eight.

This is the 1985 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight. This one of my least favorite Ninety Eights.

I was always shocked at the amount of interior room both front seat and back on these downsized C-body FWD cars. Even though this may have been considered the lower point of this line of cars and many others there was still much to keep a teenager like me very interested and entertained while growing up. I literally chomped at the bit to find out what changes the 86's, 87's onwards were going to bring. This was the time era when GM was continually improving engines and technology. The 85 3.8 125 HP V6 went from a 2 BBL carb to port fuel injection and the 4 speed THM 440 automatic was introduced a few years before in the 6000 STE. The 86 3.8 Buick V6 gained sequential fuel injection and distributerless ignition and gained 15 more HP, up to 140. 1987 saw roller lifters and 10 more HP now up to 150 and the following year saw the introduction of the famous 3800 engine designation. That engine gained balance shafts, centrally located pistons over there respective crankshaft journels, steel timing chain and gears and a further increase in power up to 165 HP. The one area that was badly affected in the downsizing on these cars was the trunk. The 1991-1996 98/Park Ave was a drastic improvement over these early C-bodies in most every way and I still see load of these cars driving around in the snow belt in Upstate, NY.

My grandfather had a ninety eight just like the 75 back when I was a kid, and I still have great memories of that of that car...

I have one of those!

Its actually roomy, I really like the car a lot and the V6 has plenty of power. I just wish the paint wasn't peeling off!

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor