Sign in to follow this  
Variance

Geneva Preview: New Audi allroad to Make Debut

5 posts in this topic

Geneva Preview: New Audi allroad to Make Debut

Date posted: 02-03-2006

INGOLSTADT — Audi's new allroad, a four-wheel drive crossover wagon derivative of the A6, will be unveiled at the Geneva Motor Show later this month.

The car hasn't changed much from the allroad quattro concept shown at last year's Detroit show. The car has subtle SUV styling and a variable air suspension that can give a higher ground clearance, but it isn't a true off-roader. Audi's forthcoming Q5 small SUV will fill that niche.

Audi has built around 100,000 first-generation allroad quattro models at its plant in Neckarsulm since the beginning of 2000, considerably more than originally planned. The concept was one of the first crossover vehicles, combining the A6 Avant's wagon body with off-roader looks and Audi's quattro permanent four-wheel-drive system.

What this means to you: It had been rumored that the Q5 would replace the allroad, but Audi has decided there is room for both crossovers and SUVs in its rapidly expanding range, so the popular crossover moves into a second generation.

Link: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=109167

Just when you think Audi has it right.. they start making derivative models. I thought the Q7 would be the replacement for the Allroad. They're approximately the same size and they serve the same function. On top of that, they look very much alike.

I think VW PAG needs to get it's act together because I have a feeling the execs may be starting to ruin the only good brand that they have.

Well, I think I would get the Allroad over the Q7, mainly because the Q7 is a hulking beast. However, I probably wouldn't get either anyway.

I thought that Audi wasn't going to do another allroad due to their new SUV's. Let's cross our fingers and hope that Audi doesn't do what Mercedes-Benz is doing with their models, as in waaaaaay too many that don't even make sense to boot. VAG to me seems confused all of the time, not just now, but in the past. To me, without Audi, VW would have died because to me it seems as though VW had only air cooled engines, and they were failing, and to make the first Passat, they badged an Audi, yes?

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this