avant1963

Sport Trac SVT, GT and LS are dead

19 posts in this topic

Ford Motor Co. has scrapped plans to build a high-performance version of its Explorer Sport Trac pickup and will halt production of both the Lincoln LS sedan and Ford GT sports car this year.

Posted Image

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic...30367/1121/AUTO

We knew that the GT was only a few year thing, the LS is a damned shame, and the Sport Trac adrenaline, which I was able to sit in last year during press days at NY, was a great SVT addition, but alas, it is dead.

And I fear the Town Car on a FWD platform. It gives me the shakes.

Ford Motor Co. has scrapped plans to build a high-performance version of its Explorer Sport Trac pickup and will halt production of both the Lincoln LS sedan and Ford GT sports car this year.

Posted Image

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic...30367/1121/AUTO

We knew that the GT was only a few year thing, the LS is a damned shame, and the Sport Trac adrenaline, which I was able to sit in last year during press days at NY, was a great SVT addition, but alas, it is dead.

And I fear the Town Car on a FWD platform.  It gives me the shakes.

I thought the SVT Sport Trac was on trac. Is this 100% or should I try to find out something from the guys at the plant?

Yeah the redesigned Sport Trac debuts for the 2007 model year; its on hiatus for 2006. Too bad about the SVT version and Lincoln LS sedan-I really would've liked to see its genuine, cancelled replacement-I bet it would've given G35 and CTS, its prime competitors, a run for the money. Now we just get a bunch of bland front-drive cars like Zephyr and MKS. And GT-how about a production version of the GR-1 concept, except called Anaconda, a sort of Corvette/Viper-fighter Ford's never had.

The LS became great with its midcycle freshening as the debut car was lacking a bit in different areas. Needed a real name, but still sad to see it go.

The Zephyr and 500 are also available in AWD> thats better than even RWD.

In any case, as long asp ower and handling are kept in check, it doesnt really matter what side of the car drives the wheels.

LS would've done great with a redesign. It looked great, but the style really was around for way too long, especially for a Lincoln.

The Zephyr and 500 are also available in AWD>  thats better than even RWD.

In any case, as long asp ower and handling are kept in check, it doesnt really matter what side of the car drives the wheels.

The Zephyr isn't offered with AWD...not yet.

For my next car, I'm seriously considering a used LS. I love the way they look, it's RWD, and and it's a little more practical than if I got a coupe. I've read to avoid some of the earlier builds because they had problems with brake rotors warping and rear wheel bearings wearing out, plus some other nagging little problems. But it sounds like it's a great driver overall and you can find them pretty cheap now.

The Zephyr and 500 are also available in AWD>  thats better than even RWD.

Well, we've beaten this dead horse enough around here.....but the fact of the matter is that there is a fundamental difference in steering, handling, and driving feel (regardless of power levels) between a FWD and RWD vehicle.

AWD only happens to lesson the difference.....not negate it. MOST FWD-based AWD systems still favor the front end for torque delivery...as is the case with the AWD Zephyr and 500.

So you can't generalize to say AWD is always better than RWD. Too many factors weigh in to make that case....

For my next car, I'm seriously considering a used LS.  I love the way they look, it's RWD, and and it's a little more practical than if I got a coupe.  I've read to avoid some of the earlier builds because they had problems with brake rotors warping and rear wheel bearings wearing out, plus some other nagging little problems.  But it sounds like it's a great driver overall and you can find them pretty cheap now.

I had a 2000 LS V8 that I bought a couple years' old and it had 60K miles on it at that time.

It was a GREAT car and felt, drove, and sounded like new. Very problem-free too....

What a GREAT feeling, driving, handling, sounding car. It really felt like it could compare with the Europeans.

I test drove 3 different Lincoln LS 5 speed manual v6's......I wish the v6 had been better. rest of the car was pleasant.

Nice car, small trunk, and ultimately i wanted to bypass the RWD fiasco for winter again after my tbird debacle.

and the ultimate realization was if i really wanted a RWD car bad enough to put up with the hassle of it around here, than just get the 3 series or 5 series or CTS and call it a day.

ultimately the new Lincolns on the P80 (550) chassis will prove to be quite capable....so no big loss

Edited by regfootball

I figured when the Thunderbird was gone that LS was on it's way out also. The Sport Trac SVT was no big loss...kind of pointless.

Edited by moltar

I saw one of those Golf's at the VW dealer last nite, will the Zephyr be replacing the LS?

I think a production version of the MKS concept will be replacing the LS...the Zephyr is below the LS in the line.

the MKS will be the LS replacement, its on the P80. The Zephyr is the chick Lincoln, built on the (chick) Mazda6 platform.

The Zephyr will get the 3.5 upgrade and maybe more. The MKS will pack v6 and v8 heat also.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.