Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

Report: GM working on more powerful V6 for 2011 Camaro?

15 posts in this topic

Filed under: Coupe, Performance, Chevrolet, Ford, GM, Rumormill

020camarov6joyopt.jpg
2010 Chevrolet Camaro V6 RS - Click above for high-res image gallery

Ford has certainly upped the ante in the Mustang/Camaro wars for 2011. Chevrolet may have the upper hand in V8 power (Camaro is rated at 426 horsepower, Mustang GT at 412), but the base 'Stang now uses a 305-hp V6, boasting slightly more power (one horsepower, to be exact) and better fuel economy (31 miles per gallon) over a comparable six-pot Camaro.

Even though the 2011 Mustang V6 only carries a touch more power and efficiency, Chevrolet isn't going to just sit back and take it all in stride. An inside source has told Automobile that the Mustang's top honors may be short lived, and that details on the 2011 Camaro will arrive in the very near future. We don't think that General Motors will have much trouble cranking out a couple extra ponies from the Camaro's 3.6-liter V6, but can it surpass the Mustang's 31 mpg highway rating? Consider our interest piqued.

[source: Automobile]

Report: GM working on more powerful V6 for 2011 Camaro? originally appeared on Autoblog on Tue, 23 Mar 2010 13:30:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Read | Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=M2MMGL85spw:iQa9AQXkVjA:wF9xT autoblog?i=M2MMGL85spw:iQa9AQXkVjA:V_sGL
M2MMGL85spw

View the full article

Nice to hear that they're not taking this lying down. IIRC, the 3.6 DI is good for up to 320hp, possibly more.

I too am interested to see what the MPG figure is.

I think the weight is going to be an issue for fuel economy, but no reason Chevy can't slam the Mustang on power.

We have yet to see much of what they can do with the V6 yet.

I think this V6 war is only the a peek at the future. like it or not.

We already know they can go 420 Hp with a turbo 3.69 at near the same MPG at the 305 HP 3.6 engine. Now spot that in a lighter car.....

Edited by hyperv6

Ok don't shoot me for this but maybe the Camaro should the XFE treatment (weight loss, higher gearing, ect)

or maybe and this may get me killed but what about a new base camaro with the LNF:

what was the power in the old stang' 6?

People bought those by the dozen i can't see why that wouldn't work

(I would never buy one though just saying women and poseurs might would)

Edited by CanadianBacon94

"2011 Camaro V6: 306 horsepower, 32 mpg!"

But seriously, I love this old war. It's been going on since 1967, and is part of Americana. Long live the Camaro and Mustang!

But seriously, I love this old war. It's been going on since 1967, and is part of Americana. Long live the Camaro and Mustang!

Absolutely!

That's a competition I can care about - I'd like to see it happening on road courses as well.

Absolutely!

That's a competition I can care about - I'd like to see it happening on road courses as well.

yes.

road courses... that have to be a big suspension difference... doesn't the camaro have to lug around a "ghost person" more than the mustang? ~200 lbs can be a killer, if all else is practically the same. i'd still like to see it though.

Heck yeah!

Well, there are two simply ways to squeezing more more from the 3.6:-

(1) The current 3.6 DI engine (LLT) packs 11.3:1 compression and is designed to run on 87 octane. If GM goes to 91 octane, it can easily push compression to 12.3:1 and get about ~12 more hp with no other changes (~0.5% power increase per 1% increase in static compression).

(2) The Current 3.6 DI is also tuned with a power peak of 6400rpm. This is relatively low compared to the 3.0's 7000rpm. A new camshaft optimized to delivery peak power at ~6800 rpm will increase power to ~320hp with no change in torque delivered at the power peak. This will also move the torque peak from 5200 rpm to somewhere between 5400rpm and 5600rpm. High, but not unacceptably so if the linearity of the torque curve can be preserved.

Or, they can do both and end up with somewhere around ~335hp.

Well, there are two simply ways to squeezing more more from the 3.6:-

(1) The current 3.6 DI engine (LLT) packs 11.3:1 compression and is designed to run on 87 octane. If GM goes to 91 octane, it can easily push compression to 12.3:1 and get about ~12 more hp with no other changes (~0.5% power increase per 1% increase in static compression).

(2) The Current 3.6 DI is also tuned with a power peak of 6400rpm. This is relatively low compared to the 3.0's 7000rpm. A new camshaft optimized to delivery peak power at ~6800 rpm will increase power to ~320hp with no change in torque delivered at the power peak. This will also move the torque peak from 5200 rpm to somewhere between 5400rpm and 5600rpm. High, but not unacceptably so if the linearity of the torque curve can be preserved.

Or, they can do both and end up with somewhere around ~335hp.

Can the peak torque be increased the same ratio as power increase while attaining the same flatness as mentioned in (2) while not sacrificing the power and fuel consumption?

More power doesn't really matter that much when the Camaro is 400+ pounds heavier than the Mustang. Even with 320-330 hp, the Camaro will likely be slower. A Nissan 370Z has 330 hp and it does 0-60 just as fast as the 420 hp V8 Camaro. GM needs to work on getting the Camaro's weight down. A more powerful V6 would be nice though because the CTS could use it, and the CTS is also heavy, and needs more power to compensate.

More power doesn't really matter that much when the Camaro is 400+ pounds heavier than the Mustang. Even with 320-330 hp, the Camaro will likely be slower. A Nissan 370Z has 330 hp and it does 0-60 just as fast as the 420 hp V8 Camaro. GM needs to work on getting the Camaro's weight down. A more powerful V6 would be nice though because the CTS could use it, and the CTS is also heavy, and needs more power to compensate.

If that's true for the CTS, than it's also true for the 5-series and the E-class as they are all within 150lbs of each other. The E-class being only 50lbs lighter than the CTS but waaaay down in power V6 for V6.

So start demanding that those other two cars go on a diet too.... you can't pick on just one just because you have a beef with Cadillac over.... well... everything they ever do.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0