NewsFeeder

GM unveils three futuristic, urban EN-V concepts

19 posts in this topic

Filed under: Concept Cars, China, Hatchback, GM, Electric

envconceptsgm.jpg
GM EN-V concepts - Click above for high-res image gallery

Today General Motors unveiled a trio of EN-V concepts that showcase the automaker's idea for a new global, urban mobility vehicle. Developed in conjunction with its partner in China, Shanghai Automotive Industry Corp., the EN-V concepts build on last year's P.U.M.A. project that was developed with help from the balancing-on-two-wheels experts at Segway. Each of the three EN-Vs, which stands for Electric Networked-Vehicle, sports a different design. Why three? The various shapes demonstrate the flexibility of the electric drivetrain and are supposed to express three different characteristics: Jiao (Pride), Miao (Magic) and Xiao (Laugh). Jiao (the bubbly blue one) was designed in Austrlia by Holden, Miao (the blocky black one) was designed at GM's studio in California and Xiao (the streaky red one) was designed in Europe.

The EN-V concepts are GM's solution for the congested urban centers in which we're all likely to live by 2030. Their all-electric, two-wheel drivetrains take care of the emissions problem. They're also fitted with the latest GPS, vehicle-to-vehicle connectivity and an array of sensors and cameras that allow fully autonomous driving. The effect of all this tech is less congestion on city roads and the virtual elimination of accidents. Zero emissions, zero traffic jams and zero accidents - the future's looking bright!

Lithium ion batteries will take each EN-V up to 40 miles on a charge, which isn't that hard considering they only weigh 1,100 pounds. And since they're each less than five feet long, up to five times more of them can fit in a parking lot than your average car of today. Do they look as fun to drive as a Porsche Cayman? No, but driving a Porsche Cayman in a congested city center isn't all that much fun anyway. If we all end up living on top of each other, these little electric runabouts might be the best way to go.

The EN-Vs will be on display at the SAIC-GM Pavilion at the World Expo in Shanghai beginning in May. Feel free to follow the jump for GM's official press release that talks more about what our crowded future will look like and how the EN-V will help.

Gallery: GM EN-V Concept

en-v-1_thumbnail.jpgen-v-2_thumbnail.jpgen-v-3_thumbnail.jpgen-v-4_thumbnail.jpgen-v-5_thumbnail.jpg

[source: General Motors]

Continue reading GM unveils three futuristic, urban EN-V concepts

GM unveils three futuristic, urban EN-V concepts originally appeared on Autoblog on Wed, 24 Mar 2010 10:06:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=gRcCyC0G9KA:IeSIfRIiGpc:wF9xT autoblog?i=gRcCyC0G9KA:IeSIfRIiGpc:V_sGL
gRcCyC0G9KA

View the full article

camino. i know what you mean... seems like a "personalized rail system" would be better. many many 2-4 person "eggs" on a track to stop ever block or 2.

but the accidents in these could be horrible...or just have a few people and pick them up and move them, like i've heard geo-s and beetles have had done to them.

Why are we all doomed to live in 1800s tenement housing? Very defeatist if you ask me.

Why are we all doomed to live in 1800s tenement housing? Very defeatist if you ask me.

It's just extremest blabbering to justify the silly concept. People who think that everyone will be stuck living in a metropolis anytime soon needs to get out more.

To all you doom and gloom types, how many of you have actually been to China? With these concepts, GM is designing new transportation solutions to local conditions, rather than forcing unsuitable vehicles down clogged hutongs and alleyways. This clearly isn't designed for American interstates.

In fact, this seems like the modern replacement for "vehicles" like this... which have served Chinese cities well:

600W_Electric_Rickshaw_CE.jpg

Instead of labeling it "defeatist" or feeling ill, how about thinking outside the box or outside your home country. The automobile isn't for everyone.

Edited by pow

To all you doom and gloom types, how many of you have actually been to China? With these concepts, GM is designing new transportation solutions to local conditions, rather than forcing unsuitable vehicles down clogged hutongs and alleyways. This clearly isn't designed for American interstates.

In fact, this seems like the modern replacement for "vehicles" like this... which have served Chinese cities well:

600W_Electric_Rickshaw_CE.jpg

Instead of labeling it "defeatist" or feeling ill, how about thinking outside the box or outside your home country. The automobile isn't for everyone.

The article predicts that we will be living in such conditions here in the near future, that makes it defeatist. China was never mentioned.

Such a future disgusts me at the extreme.

The article predicts that we will be living in such conditions here in the near future, that makes it defeatist. China was never mentioned.

Right, I wasn't saying this is a terrible product for congested (poor) cities, I was referring to the prediction that we're all doomed in this country to such conditions. But as China industrializes people will bolt for the suburbs there as well.

Well, that's Autoblog for ya...

GM's press release says something else. These vehicles have Chinese names, they're designed in concert with SAIC, and they're debuting at the Shanghai World Expo.

Right, I wasn't saying this is a terrible product for congested (poor) cities, I was referring to the prediction that we're all doomed in this country to such conditions. But as China industrializes people will bolt for the suburbs there as well.

Yeah, because rich Hong Kong is such a spacious, sprawly suburb...

Somehow, I seriously doubt it.

Put some Pontiac badges on one of them for Excitement!!! As far as the US goes, such vehicles could give Chevy some models below the Spark in the future.....I could see them zipping around the congested urban cores of NYC or Chicago...one of these would solve Samedei's urban parking problems.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Look at population models - the country is slowly draining into the city. Personally I really don't care about where I live. Could be the country, a hick town, or a metropolis - wherever my life takes me. However I live in Toronto, the largest city in Canada right now, because that's where my job is.

Some people have been watching Blade Runner way too much.

Look at population models - the country is slowly draining into the city. Personally I really don't care about where I live. Could be the country, a hick town, or a metropolis - wherever my life takes me. However I live in Toronto, the largest city in Canada right now, because that's where my job is.

In the past, I've lived in the country (rural Ohio), in small towns (a dying coal/steel town, Midwest college towns and a Florida beach town), and various metro areas. I find major cities/suburbs fit me the best for my life and career--that's where the good tech jobs are, the diverse restaurant selection is, and all the other amenities..no way could I go back to rural or small town life.

one of these would solve Samedei's urban parking problems.

It would... but I'm not so sure about it being a two wheeled overgrown Segway. I'd expect I'd need to see some pretty impressive video of the thing staying stable over potholes, ruts, braking hard and accelerating hard before I'd buy into it. Its hard enough to maintain stability and control with four wheels in NYC, let alone two.

As far as the dystopian city future, I don't see an alternative future. Small town USA is on the decline and the jobs are in the urban centers... of course, when we talk about urban centers, we're not talking about 1800s style tentaments (i.e., which end up going for $3500+ a month in NYC, btw), but more like Gibson's future urban center, in which the entire northeast is a megalopolis know as 'The Sprawl'... so you'll have suburban McMansions converted into duplexes and triplexes. The rich will control you... letting you run in a hamster wheel for $1... but they will charge you $0.99 to live in the hamster cage.

As far as the dystopian city future, I don't see an alternative future. Small town USA is on the decline and the jobs are in the urban centers... of course, when we talk about urban centers, we're not talking about 1800s style tentaments (i.e., which end up going for $3500+ a month in NYC, btw), but more like Gibson's future urban center, in which the entire northeast is a megalopolis know as 'The Sprawl'... so you'll have suburban McMansions converted into duplexes and triplexes. The rich will control you... letting you run in a hamster wheel for $1... but they will charge you $0.99 to live in the hamster cage.

The future's so bright I gotta wear shades. :)

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead