Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Hybrid Lincoln to debut in New York

11 posts in this topic

Hybrid Lincoln to debut in New York

Bryce G. Hoffman / The Detroit News

Ford Motor Co. will unveil a hybrid version of its Lincoln MKZ sedan Wednesday at the New York International Auto Show, according to people familiar with the company's plans.

It will be the first luxury hybrid offered by the Dearborn automaker, which was the first U.S. manufacturer to bring hybrids to market in 2004.

Ford already offers hybrid versions of the Ford Fusion and Mercury Milan. The hybrid Lincoln MKZ will be built off the same platform.

Other than the gasoline-electric powertrain and different badging, it will be identical to the regular gasoline version of the midsize sedan.

"I thought they should have done it before," said Chris Lemley, who owns several dealerships in the Boston metropolitan area. "I'm glad they're doing it now."

He believes Ford may be able to take advantage of consumer concerns over recent recalls of competing products from Toyota Motor Corp.'s luxury Lexus brand.

"It depends on how fast they can get it to us," Lemley said. "I'm also hoping that it will be priced competitively."

That will be key, according to analyst Jim Hall of 2953 Analytics LLP in Birmingham. While he said the new midsize sedan will fill a noticeable gap in Ford's hybrid lineup, he is concerned it will offer too little differentiation.

"It's basically a Fusion, and that's my concern," he said. "They better have something that makes it better than the drive train in the Fusion."

He and other analysts also point out that Ford's ability to get hybrid powertrains from its suppliers is limited. Adding another model does not mean the company will be able to add sales.

"All it does is reallocate it," Hall said. "But it does reallocate it to a car they can sell for a higher price -- theoretically."

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20100327/AUTO01/3270318/1148/auto01/Hybrid-Lincoln-to-debut-in-New-York#ixzz0jR28KvFs

Cool, a Versailles Hybrid.

Cool, a Versailles Hybrid.

What would be cooler is if Lincoln actually went back to using names for their vehicles instead of the meaningless MK(?) designations.

Do luxury hybrids really make much of an impact in the market? If it does, then I say go for it. If it doesn't, is it really worth taking limited resources from the established Fusion and Milan hybrids to do it?

I will say that this luxury hybrid will be much more attractive than what Lexus is peddling, though. The HS 250h is just hopelessly ugly.

Edited by cire

The MKZ interior isn't nice enough... and it feels too much like the Fusion, but otherwise, this would walk all over the HS250h if you only look at specs.

...Do luxury hybrids really make much of an impact in the market? If it does, then I say go for it. If it doesn't, is it really worth taking limited resources from the established Fusion and Milan hybrids to do it?...

afaik the batteries are the bottleneck limiting sales numbers

so IF the MkZAP gets Lithium...

The lux hybrid segment is growing, as far as models, quite fast. I think hybrid as status is still a valid purchasing reason and if you can cruise in comfort and with frugality then it is the best of both worlds.

Ford to show off Lincoln MKZ hybrid today

BY BRENT SNAVELY

FREE PRESS BUSINESS WRITER

Ford said today that it will introduce a hybrid version of the Lincoln MKZ this fall and plans to market the vehicle as the most fuel-efficient U.S. luxury hybrid.

The 2011 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid is to be revealed at a news conference today at the New York auto show.

Ford decided to develop a hybrid version of a Lincoln because of increasing interest in hybrids among luxury car buyers, said Greg Scott, group marketing manager for the MKZ, Fusion and Milan. "Luxury customers want to take a leadership role," Scott said.

The Lincoln is expected to get 41 m.p.g. in the city and 36 on the highway, Scott said.

Lincoln's expected fuel efficiency is better than all 2010 Lexus hybrids including the compact Lexus HS 250h, which gets a combined 35 m.p.g., and the midsize Lexus GS 450h, which gets a combined 23 m.p.g.

Bill Chope, president of Crest Automotive Group in Sterling Heights, said the addition of a hybrid will likely generate a lot of interest. "In the showroom, people already ask a lot of questions about hybrids," Chope said.

The launch of the MKZ Hybrid follows the successful introduction last year of the Ford Fusion and Mercury Milan hybrids.

The MKZ will be built in the same factory in Hermosillo, Mexico, and the three cars will share a similar 2.5-liter four-cylinder hybrid engine and electric motor.

The hybrid will use interior wood paneling from sustainable-growth forests and an updated version of Ford's Smart Gauge dashboard displays that will show flowers growing behind the leaves that grow as the driver saves fuel on each trip.

link:

http://www.freep.com...-to-be-unveiled

New York 2010: 2011 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid is exactly what we expected

by Steven J. Ewing (RSS feed) on Mar 31st 2010 at 12:59PM

2011 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid – Click above for high-res image gallery

Ford has reminded us over and over again about its plans to offer a full line of electified vehicles in the United States. The Escape and Mariner hybrids started this trend, the Fusion and Milan hybrids are garnering lots of praise, and with new products like the Transit Connect Electric and Focus Electric hitting the streets in the not-too-distant future, the automaker appears to be fulfilling its goals. The newest addition to the electrified lineup is this 2011 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid, which builds upon the success of its Fusion and Milan sister hybrids.

With fuel economy ratings of 41 miles per gallon in the city and 36 on the highway, the MKZ Hybrid will lay claim to the most fuel-efficient luxury sedan in America, besting its nearest competitor,the Lexus HS250h,by six MPGs. Ford has also assured us that the MKZ will be priced below the Lexus, making it a more affordable alternative for shoppers. Aside from the addition of the four-cylinder hybrid powertrain, not much changes from the standard MKZ and Ford is hoping that this vehicle will bring more buyers into Lincoln showrooms when the car hits dealerships this fall. Check out our galleries below to see both live and stock shots of the MKZ Hybrid.

link:

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/03/31/2011-lincoln-mkz-hybrid-new-york-2010/

afaik the batteries are the bottleneck limiting sales numbers

so IF the MkZAP gets Lithium...

Like the "MKZap" reference. Pretty clever.

I saw the car in person on Saturday in NYC, and just like the regular MKZ, there is no reason to buy this over a nicely equipped Milan or Fusion unless you have a split grill fetish.

honestly if i were lincoln i would put the upcoming ecoboost 2.0 in the car as a base engine.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0