2007 Dodge Nitro

99camaroSS

We all need to wait and see the Nitro interior in person.......

Why?

There is a huge discrepancy in the quality-of-materials between the Liberty and DCX's other Jeep/Dodge SUV products.

I don't know why, but the dash plastics/graining/gloss levels on my Liberty are totally different and far better than what's been put in Grand Cherokee, Durango, new Ram, or even Caliber.

SO....being that Nitro is built on the Liberty architecture.....and I assume in the same plant....I would guess that maybe the same material suppliers for the Nitro would be used.....if THAT'S the case, the plastics might be okay.

HOWEVER, if they have CHANGED suppliers (does Liberty get a new interior next year?) and gone to the same crappy plastics as in the GC/Durango, then that will suck...

It's likely that the Nitro will be a real heavyweight, based as it is on the Jeep Liberty. The Liberty is, of course, a superb offroader, but the stoutness that helps it offroad causes the inevitable penalty at the pump. The Lib's EPA ratings, for example, are no better than the larger Grand Cherokee (and may even be slightly worse).

It's likely that the Nitro will be a real heavyweight,  based as it is on the Jeep Liberty.    The Liberty is, of course, a superb offroader,  but the stoutness that helps it offroad causes the inevitable penalty at the pump.    The Lib's EPA ratings, for example,  are no better than the larger Grand Cherokee (and may even be slightly worse).

Hence the 4.0L (255 HP) that only has 5 more horsepower than the car 3.5L, but has 25 more ft/lbs of torque (275 ft/lbs). The 4.0L will not be a dog.

The 3.7L has a good amount of torque too.....I drove a Liberty for 3 days in the snow a month ago, and it felt like it had a ton of torque......however, I got really bad gas mileage cause I was flooring it all the time and doing 4WD donuts in the snow!! :)

How many SUV or crossovers keep entering the market gosh i'm sick of these gimmicks Chrysler why don't you concentrate on making a compact car replacement of the neon instead of that hideous caliber and whats going to happen to that stratus I heard of a redesign is that true?

• 3 weeks later...

If I recall, one of the gripes Edmunds.com had about the Equinox/Torrent SUVs was that their interiors were full of hard plastic. So even if the Nitro's interior has the hard plastic stuff, it's not any worse off than the GM twins. On top of that, we can't say exactly what the interior plastics will be like until they're in showroom and someone pokes around the interior. The GM twins I think have a bit slicker interior design (especially the Torrent with the nicer steering wheel), but I think the Nitro's looks petty good, in a rugged sort of way. Better than the design in the Durango at any rate.

Another thing to consider is that, while it's based of th Liberty platform, and it's bigger, that platform has been modified for on-road biased handling, not offroad like the Liberty. Also keep in mind that without all the heavy offroad gear the Liberty has, the Nitro should not way much more, hell it may even be lighter. Combine that with a more powerful V6 option, and the possiblity of an SRT version (check out TCC's spyshot archieves), and it should b a pretty quick SUV.

I happen to like the overall look of the Nitro (especially the black R/T), it kinda looks like a modern interpretation of that Power Wagon photo. You guys are griping about Dodge's designs being too different, but let's not forget that it's that differenciation/originality that's made them profitable while both GM and Ford are in the money hole with their mostly bland designs.

On that note, credit to Dodge for at least taking the time to make the Nitro look different inside and out from the Liberty on which it's based, unlike how GM just slapped some Pontiac badges, a new grill, and a new steering wheel on the Torrent...hardly a distinction from the Equinox. I mean damn, they could have at least put a more powerful V6 under the hood and gave it a sportier suspension option.