Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Chevrolet deubts 40 mpg Cruze Eco

19 posts in this topic

Chevrolet deubts 40 mpg Cruze Eco

03/28/2010, 12:02 AMBY ANDREW GANZ

Ahead of its debut later this week at the New York Auto Show, Chevrolet has unwrapped an estimated 40 mpg version of its upcoming Cruze sedan dubbed the Cruze Eco. Powered by a 1.4-liter turbocharged four-cylinder, the Cruze Eco nets its impressive highway fuel economy when mated to its standard six-speed manual transmission.

The Cruze Eco features a number of changes aimed at decreasing fuel consumption, like an optimized front axle ratio and ultra low rolling resistance Goodyear tires and lightweight 17-inch alloy wheels. A lowered stance reduces mpg-robbing air turbulence at highway speeds, while a lower front grille “air shutter” closes at higher speeds to improve highway aerodynamics. Chevrolet also modified the upper grille and added in a new front lower air dam extension and a rear spoiler to make the Cruze Eco even more slippery to the wind.

The Cruze Eco will come standard with the aforementioned six-speed manual, but it will also offer a six-speed automatic. Chevrolet estimates highway fuel economy at 40 mpg with the stick, but the automaker has not estimated highway figures for the manual or city numbers for either car.

Regardless of transmission, the Cruze Eco will come standard with the 138-horsepower, 148 lb-ft. of torque 1.4-liter turbocharged Ecotec four-cylinder rather than the base Cruze LS’ naturally aspirated four-cylinder. With that turbocharged engine, Chevrolet says that the Cruze Eco should be good for a 0-60 mph sprint of about 9 seconds with the manual and 10 seconds with the automatic.

link:

http://www.leftlanenews.com/chevrolet-cruze-eco.html

'Green' Cruze to debut at New York auto show

Robert Snell / The Detroit News

General Motors Co. will unveil a high-efficiency version of the Chevrolet Cruze at this week's New York International Auto Show.

The 2011 Chevrolet Cruze Eco model, available in the fourth quarter of this year and powered by a 1.4-liter Ecotec turbocharged engine, will get an estimated 40 miles per gallon on the highway with a six-speed transmission.

The Cruze has been labeled by GM executives as the Detroit automaker's most important new launch vehicle aimed at boosting fuel efficiency and meeting tougher federal regulations. The Cruze is a bet by GM that customers will want a small car in large volumes at a time when crossovers and full-size sport-utility vehicles remain popular in the U.S. marketplace.

"The Cruze Eco delivers hybrid-like efficiency without the price tag," said Jim Campbell, U.S. vice president of Chevrolet marketing.

GM already has added a third shift of production, and is adding 1,200 workers at its Lordstown plant in Ohio to produce the Cruze. GM also is investing $350 million to retool the plant and install new manufacturing equipment.

"This investment helps secure the best possible manufacturing footprint to react to market demand and deliver vehicles faster to our customers," Campbell said.

The Cruze also will be available in a sportier version, equipped with unique fascias, rocker moldings, a rear spoiler and fog lamps.

The Cruze Eco model, meanwhile, will get greater fuel economy thanks to several features that enhance aerodynamics, reduce the vehicle's weight and rolling resistance.

"Anything you can do these days to get extra mileage out of a vehicle is going to be a benefit," said auto analyst Erich Merkle of Autoconomy.com in Grand Rapids.

"Not just from a sales perspective, but also from the overall perceived image of the brand. When you're talking about 40 plus miles per gallon out of a compact car, you really start to beat your competition, such as the Toyota Corolla and Honda Civic."

The Cruze is one of two major launches this year that could help burnish the Chevrolet brand. The Volt, an extended-range electric car, follows late this year and will let commuters travel up to 40 miles on electric power.

The Volt's engine kicks in after its battery is drained by about 70 percent to sustain the battery's remaining charge to keep the car running for several hundred miles.

"For a company like Chevrolet that is thought to be a real lagger in fuel efficiency, they represent leadership in terms of overall fuel efficiency performance," Merkle said.

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20100328/AUTO01/3280305/1148/auto01/-Green--Cruze-to-debut-at-New-York-auto-show#ixzz0jVth85TF

This looks much better than the Cruze I have seen so far. The extra trim helps but the wheels make them look much more upscale vs the cheap wheel on the ones we have been shown. I wish they GM would upgrade the base wheels on all lines. It could realy improve their image on their base cars.

I like the new Focus more than the Cruze, but I think the Cruze will do a lot better than most people here think.

Don't like either. The red/ebony interior in the Maroon LTZ showcar is still my pick if I was to get one.

Those wheels are much improved over what we've seen so far. It makes it seem more GM Europe than GM Daewoo.

I will grab for anything that gets my mind off the Daewoo connection, as every product ever sold here with that connection has been junk.

Eco is kind way of saying "slow." The Cruze is probably heavier than a Cobalt, yet has 17 less hp. 0-60 in 10 seconds is boring. Now if they can get 185 hp in the Cruze, then they are onto something. Or just put a diesel in it, they could get 45 mpg and it would be a lot faster than 1.4 liter will be.

Eco is kind way of saying "slow."

I know going really fast is a priority for people looking for fuel economy.

If they can achieve 40mpg with the automatic transmission model then they'll have something.

With the turbo engine I have a feeling mileage will be quite dependent on how patient the driver is, even moreso than with hybrids.

Eco is kind way of saying "slow." The Cruze is probably heavier than a Cobalt, yet has 17 less hp. 0-60 in 10 seconds is boring. Now if they can get 185 hp in the Cruze, then they are onto something. Or just put a diesel in it, they could get 45 mpg and it would be a lot faster than 1.4 liter will be.

You would be shocked at how many people could care less about 0-60. Many anymore only care about MPG and only flling up once ever 2-3 weeks. There is a whole market of them out there.

While it is easy to sell a diesel here with us on this web site there is still a lot of work that needs done in the real world. Most Americans still think of Diesls as they were not as they now are. You would have to market the hell out of them and still people will be reluctant. That is why there are so few here now. I think Olds did more damage to Diesel than anything.

With DI and a Turbo, the low end torque should be excellent for it's class. Couple that with a new 6-speed auto and you'll probably end up with numbers similar to the current cobalt in acceleration performance yet much higher in terms of fuel economy.

With DI and a Turbo, the low end torque should be excellent for it's class. Couple that with a new 6-speed auto and you'll probably end up with numbers similar to the current cobalt in acceleration performance yet much higher in terms of fuel economy.

+1 Olds, that's exactly what I have been saying

This has been rehashed to death. The 1.4 has more low end grunt since it has a peak torque rating of something below 2000rpm

+1 Olds, that's exactly what I have been saying

This has been rehashed to death. The 1.4 has more low end grunt since it has a peak torque rating of something below 2000rpm

Pretty much....

If they can achieve 40mpg with the automatic transmission model then they'll have something.

With the turbo engine I have a feeling mileage will be quite dependent on how patient the driver is, even moreso than with hybrids.

true.

you know, the cruze is a big car. i won't be surprised to see it hit fleets big time. i would love to see what someone who puts 50k miles a year on a car would get with the 1.4 turbo for mileage with mostly highway driving.

the 1.6 turbo is what should be an engine option for the cruze. or better yet, the 2.0 from the cobalt SS would be a nice option too.

the 1.4 turbo should have been standard then.

Whatever they do with the Cruze, I have a feeling the Focus will have something better, and I have a feeling Hyundai may one-up them all. There is a new Elantra next year, and they have been on a bit of a roll lately.

Whatever they do with the Cruze, I have a feeling the Focus will have something better, and I have a feeling Hyundai may one-up them all. There is a new Elantra next year, and they have been on a bit of a roll lately.

Plus, the competition has had like 6 years to tear apart the Cruze in other places and have a pretty good idea of what they're going to bring to the U.S. while GM likely has no clue what Hyundai has planned for next year.

Plus, the competition has had like 6 years to tear apart the Cruze in other places and have a pretty good idea of what they're going to bring to the U.S. while GM likely has no clue what Hyundai has planned for next year.

The Cruze, while a seemingly decent car, and worlds better than the cobalt, should've been here well over a year ago when it was released elsewhere. I have a feeling however good the car may be will be quickly out-shined by newer entries into the market.

Speaking of which, how does it do elsewhere compared to the competition? I'm kind of surprised we haven't heard more about it from the perspective of other markets.

The articles that I read, are always tearing apart the cobalt. While I'm not an economy car type, I have driven a cobalt and happen to think it's a pretty good little car. I don't think it's a bad looking car either. The SS version is actually appealing, but since the cruze is supposed to be so much better than the cobalt, I'm sure that getting 40 mpg (hwy) is going to make it very appealing.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0