Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Which brand new car made the biggest impression on you?

This one is easy for me ... and it should be no surprise. :violin:

The 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme coupe...preferably in Brougham (loose cushion seating) or Salon (tall reclining buckets) trim.

I'm still confining myself to one car for my answer if I say that the 1975 version was also a very attractive car, but the 1976 was a leap forward with the absence of fender sculpting and rectangular headlamps. Wow.

1976 - one of the better poses for this car, and everyone fell in love (credit to Classic Oldsmobile.com)

76supreme.jpg

1975 - my favorite color at top of photo, but it needed a white vinyl top; nice tan swivel-out buckets at bottom LH suited to the rust exterior (credit to Mclellan's automotive)

B23346-2.jpg

Your turn...

Edited by trinacriabob

I cannot confine it to one.

1988-1990 Chevrolet Caprice Brougham LS

1981-1987 Chervolet Monte Carlo

1976 Pontiac Bonneville

1977 Pontiac Grand Prix

1981-1987 Pontiac Grand Prix

1980-1981 Pontiac Bonneville Brougham

1985-1986 Pontiac Parisienne Brougham

1987-1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE, SE, SSE

2000-2005 Pontiac Bonneville SSE, SLE, GXP

1984-1988 Pontiac 6000 STE

1977-1981 Pontiac Trans Am

1992-1999 Pontiac Trans Am

1979-1985 Buick Riviera

1989 Buick Riviera

1975 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight

1980-1984 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight

1985 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Royale Brougham LS

1983-1985 Oldsmobile Delta 88

1973-1976 Oldsmobile Toronado

1979-1985 Oldsmobile Toronado

1990-1992 Oldsmobile Toronado

1991-1995 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight

1987-1990 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight Touring Sedan

1992-1999 Oldsmobile Eighty Eight

1996-1999 Oldsmobile LSS

1983-1990 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1981-1988 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme

1977 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme

1979-1985 Cadillac Eldorado

1997-1999 Cadillac Deville

1989-1992 Cadillac Fleetwood

1993-1996 Cadillac Fleetwood

1980-1985 Cadillac Seville

1992-1997 Cadillac Seville

1990-present Holden Caprice and Statesman

1997- present Holden Commodore/Calais

1977-1979 Lincoln Mark V

1993-1997 Lincoln Mark VIII

1982-1989 Lincoln Town Car

2003-present Lincoln Town Car

So many throughout my childhood made big impressions.

1980 datsun 210 helped me realize what junk the Japanese brand lines really make. As a kid it was pure torture when my parents picked this as our road trip vehicle because it broke down frequently and was the most uncomfortable vehicle I have ever travelled in.

1984 Ford Thunderbird Elan with a 302, my uncle's, was the first car that caught my attention due to styling. I loved driving this car especially on the open road. To bad the electronic gremlins took over at 60k.

1998 Intrigue was my first newer GM product that made me realize GM was going to make a come back someday, though it has taken longer than I expected. Prior to the Intrigue we were a Volvo family. Only 1 issue in over 90k miles. We traded it in because it smelled of sour milk (kids) and I really wanted an Alero GL2.

1322_main_f.jpg

(Mom's was a maroon color with maroon half vinyl padded top, with the Pontiac Rallye Rims)

My mom & dad bought a brand-new 1983 Pontiac Grand Prix LJ in the spring of that year. While they had a bunch of other new cars prior (always for my mom, my dad had older, used cars) including a '78 or '79 Ford Granada, the Pontiac was the best looking vehicle to date in our driveway (I was 8 y-o at the time). Since the GP was mom's car, and being that I spent a lot of time with my mom as my dad worked nights, the Pontiac was the primary car I was driven around in. We took that car every where - holidays, family trips, errands, you name it. When I was about 12 I started to be responsible for cleaning the car and making sure mom's ride was always nice looking. When it came time to learn how to drive, the GP was the car I learned to drive on. I owe my love for the Pontiac brand to that car (service was done at the dealer for many years, and I came to love the newer Pontiacs I'd get to see), and it's one of the reasons why I want to buy a '81-'87 GP as my cruiser when it becomes economically sensible to do so.

Before you ask "why not a truck?', it's because the trucks when I was younger were either old family machines or used trucks. I love trucks due to my grandfather's '55 GMC 102 (8' bed half-ton). It was the truck used by all family members for hauling needs, it's the truck my grandfather would let me 'play-drive' in the driveway, and when parked due to a blown engine, it became the backyard playground equipment I grew up with. My uncle was a Ford F150 man and had a few used ones when I was growing up, but neighbors had cool GMCs and Chevies in the neighborhood that I grew fond of more than the Fords.

Edited by GMTruckGuy74

I cannot confine it to one.

Ninety-Eight, for you, I would have guessed an Oldsmobile...but is there one that made you drool more than the others?

Edited by trinacriabob

The 1980-1984 and 1975 and 1991-1996 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight.

I like that commercial for the 1975!

I only wish that the vinyl top was silver instead of black. The tri-silver on 70s GM cars, possibly with a red or white pinstripe, looked great.

BTW, that was the L.A. Coliseum in the background. I grew up within 10 miles of that place.

Believe it or not, the 1971 Ford Mustang. We bought a new LTD as a family car, and I was in kindergarten. Blue LTD wagon parked next to Blue 1971 Mach parked at Hughes Ford in Milladore, Wisconsin. Ben a car nut ever since.

Also, remember the Mustang II king Cobra...wanted one as a kid...my friend Alan had one in high school...we used to cruise looking for girls...that was kind of like an automotive induced celibacy...

Oh, and Bob...many fine memories of that generation of Cutty. THOSE were the cars to own back in the day...

The first Saturns actually come to mind:

1FBABE3F261C0451F3680DB3C668B.jpg

I was only about 10 at the time, and they just seemed very sleek for a small GM car at the time.

Seeing the cutaway models of the car and a then all new twin-cam engine, as well as getting to kick at them to demo the plastic body impressed as well.

Up until I was eleven, we were a Volvo family, so I thought turbocharged bricks were the coolest things ever. Then my parents got a 5-series, based on my recommendations (thank you, Car and Driver), and I became a BMW fanboy ever since.

My dream car as a teen was the E39 M5:

e39-6.jpg

Edited by pow

It seems like a lot of people like the cars of the childhood that their parents drove. I know I ALWAYS wanted my first car to be the 1980 Mercury Cougar XR7 that my mom drove.... but then my sister crashed it and that was the end of that dream. I see them VERY rarely, but they still seem to catch my eye when I see them. As far as new cars go.... I have a huge huge thing for the 09 G8 GT (no battery/oil pressure gauge)!!!! I really hope to see a Zeta sedan back in the GM lineup in the next 2 years, since I will buy a car in 2 years, at the earliest.

1322_main_f.jpg

(Mom's was a maroon color with maroon half vinyl padded top, with the Pontiac Rallye Rims)

My mom & dad bought a brand-new 1983 Pontiac Grand Prix LJ in the spring of that year.

Unbelievable.

The 1981-1986 Grand Prix was beautiful, and got increasingly better through this span of years, ultimately adding the 4.3 TBI Vortec V6 (though the 4.3 Pontiac 265 c.i. V8 was a nice little engine as well).

I always thought there was a big gap between the Cutlass and the Grand Prix, but in these years, the Grand Prix was catching up (but didn't completely catch up, IMHO). Of these models (1981-1987ish), my ranking would be: Cutlass, Grand Prix, Regal, Monte Carlo.

But, back to the GP:

the rear lights with the taper out where it met the bumper were great, the fender sculpting was not too much/not too skimpy, the grille was clean (w/ or w/o hood ornament), the dash was really interesting when the circles had actual gauges, and the interior finishes, especially in the Brougham or LJ, were plush and comfortable.

I've driven one or two and, true to Pontiac form, it handled a little better than the others, with the Regal having the vaguest handling of the quartet during this period.

I liked this car as well, though I wound up "inheriting" a 1984 Cutlass Supreme Brougham coupe in the mid-90s. I will always miss this GM vehicle platform.

Mom's new 2002 Chevy Avalanche 2wd, Z66. Onyx Black with Tan cloth interior.

After her first "wow" new car, a 2000 Chrysler 300M that turned out to be an annoying mess of noise, bizarre gremlins and then an accident to top it off, the Avalanche was a revelation. She wanted a Tahoe/Yukon, but the Avalanche had just come out and for a larger vehicle that was a 5/6 seater, based on the Suburban, it was thousands less for more stuff.

It was a new world. She loved it. It didn't have a single issue, period, other than getting a flat tire and the GM truck ISS needing lubed after 2 years. Solid as a rock. Quiet. SMOOTH. With the Bilsteins and Z66 specific "Premium On Road" suspension & wheels, we called it the magic carpet ride, without being floaty. Cloth seats looked great & were comfortable. Everyone just loved riding in it, including weekend cruises with the back window out, down to the beach. It was all the refinement and luxury--leather & chrome aside--the 300M never dreamed of, and just glorious.

Also started me big time on car forums & clubs, and resulted in me hosting 2 local Avalanche meets near our house, which hosted around 20 Av's at one point. Such a cool culture. Have yet to have it get to that point with any other vehicle.

2.5 years later with good deals, decided to "get the same thing but with a 3rd seat" and traded for a Suburban. Functionality wise, the Suburban worked so much better. But it was never the same & lacked the Av's verve. Mom cried when trade in day came, had a soft moment with the Av and I almost felt the same way...

...psychologically why I just traded a stunning G8 GT for a new '09 Avalanche Z71? Perhaps. One reason. Hmm...Avalanche me...

Unbelievable.

The 1981-1986 Grand Prix was beautiful, and got increasingly better through this span of years, ultimately adding the 4.3 TBI Vortec V6 (though the 4.3 Pontiac 265 c.i. V8 was a nice little engine as well).

I always thought there was a big gap between the Cutlass and the Grand Prix, but in these years, the Grand Prix was catching up (but didn't completely catch up, IMHO). Of these models (1981-1987ish), my ranking would be: Cutlass, Grand Prix, Regal, Monte Carlo.

But, back to the GP:

the rear lights with the taper out where it met the bumper were great, the fender sculpting was not too much/not too skimpy, the grille was clean (w/ or w/o hood ornament), the dash was really interesting when the circles had actual gauges, and the interior finishes, especially in the Brougham or LJ, were plush and comfortable.

I've driven one or two and, true to Pontiac form, it handled a little better than the others, with the Regal having the vaguest handling of the quartet during this period.

I liked this car as well, though I wound up "inheriting" a 1984 Cutlass Supreme Brougham coupe in the mid-90s. I will always miss this GM vehicle platform.

I posted this in the Pontiac section. enjoy GM Truck Guy 74 and Trinacriabob

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDaKHBKYXiE

Hmm...for me, I think I'd have to say the 1981 Monte Carlo. And, I'll narrow it down more ... this one, in particular:

http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/mc1981/81monte.html'>http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/mc1981/81monte.html

My parents bought it brand new in 1982 (it was a leftover '81), and I bought it from them December 1999...and I STILL own it.

When they bought it, they still had "my" 1976 Monte Carlo, and I can only guess that several people (including my parents) would probably say that the '76 made the biggest impression on me, considering that, just days after Dad and Mom bought "my" '76 in 1976 (when I was 3 years old), I started pointing at other MCs on the road, saying "arlo" each time.

But, nope ... the '81 made the biggest impression on me. Because ... it was THEN that I started "linking" the different MC generations. At the time Dad and Mom bought the '81 MC, a friend of ours had a '79 MC. So, when she visited my parents, we had 3 MCs at the house ... and it was interesting to me to note the similarities and differences.

I was also intrigued at some of the styling features of the '76 and '81, 2 in particular:

The '76 featured stacked/vertical headlights; the '81 had horizontal headlights.

The "reflectors" in the tailights of the '76 are horizontal, while the "reflectors" in the tailights of the '81 are vertical.

Cort | 36swm.IL | "Mr Monte Carlo"."Mr Road Trip" | pig valve.pacemaker

MCs.Caprice|models.HO.legos.CHD.RadioShows|RTs.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"You have to try again" ... Janie Fricke ... 'You Don't Know Love'