Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Buick Will Do Away With Trim Levels in 2012

24 posts in this topic

Buick Will Do Away With Trim Levels in 2012

March 30, 2010 at 10:56 am by David Gluckman

Beginning in 2012, Buick will no longer use trim levels like CX, CXS, and CXL to differentiate between models with different equipment levels. Instead, cars will be sold with different packages. The only Buicks that will receive exterior identification will be special models—like a GS, for instance. The change is supposed to streamline the production and buying processes.

Plus, they’ll save some money on badges.

LINK:

http://blog.caranddriver.com/buick-will-do-away-with-trim-levels-in-2012/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+caranddriver%2Fblog+%28Car+and+Driver+Blog%29&utm_content=Twitter

Good move! No more trim level warfare.

Buick The new class of one class.

This will help the image of all Buicks as none will not appear as base models. Just make sure none of the levels have plastic hub caps.

Edited by hyperv6

A good start, but I'd still like to see Buick (and Cadillac) take the Acura approach, one model, fully loaded. That would make things so much simpler for GM, for dealers and for customers. Just pick a color and go.

A good start, but I'd still like to see Buick (and Cadillac) take the Acura approach, one model, fully loaded. That would make things so much simpler for GM, for dealers and for customers. Just pick a color and go.

That would be simple. Loyal customers would come into a Buick dealership, find out they can't get cloth seats, and leave. Great idea. I can see slimming down options and having more standard to help differentiate Buick from Chevy, but I don't agree with not having options.

How many Buicks really sell with cloth seats?

A lot more than you apparently think, and a lot of people prefer cloth. If someone can find actual numbers, that'd be nice to know. I'd guess it's around half & half.

Without trim levels, what will Avis buy? Oh wait, they have the Cobalt, Malibu, and Impala. In a way this makes sense, Buicks should have a lot of standard equipment. Since the mechanics are basically a Chevy, why pay more money for the Buick unless it has a lot of features standard. Buick doesn't need stripped down models with plastic wheel covers.

[sarcasm] damn the bean counters, they really run the company again. i thought they were thrown out in the bankruptcy!!!!!! noooooooo!!![/sarcasm]

I am very much in favor of this. Leave the trim levels to the (lesser) Chevy and GMC Models. Buick should follow Cadillac's lead and offer option order packages rather than trim levels (with the exception of special brands like "Platinum", "V-Series", "Super", and "GS")

I would like to see Buick lead the way with some sort of premium cloth seats. Something that looks and feels high end.

Not everythings gotta be leather ya know...

Von- i agree, make the differentiation be based on engine/sportyness "ratings", not interior/exterior doodads.

olds. yo umean liek the...velvety fabric from before the early 90's? that'd be nice. not so hot seats in the summer and "warmer" in the winter

Cloth seats? Really people? I suppose the next thing I'll see is a petition to bring back bench seats.

Cloth seats? Really people? I suppose the next thing I'll see is a petition to bring back bench seats.

What's wrong with a very luxurious cloth seat for a higher end vehicle? Not everyone wants/likes leather.

What's wrong with a very luxurious cloth seat for a higher end vehicle? Not everyone wants/likes leather.

Cloth would be nice, esp. in the more extreme climates.

Unless I was buying some car that I was only going to drive sparingly, I would insist on cloth. It's more consistent in the comfort factor where where you can see temperature swing between -40 and +30 in a normal 4-season rotation. I really liked that cloth that Buick and Oldsmobile were using in the 1990s, really tightly woven and smooth.

Petition to bring back bench seats? Sign me up for that too.

Edited by vonVeezelsnider

Without trim levels, what will Avis buy? Oh wait, they have the Cobalt, Malibu, and Impala. In a way this makes sense, Buicks should have a lot of standard equipment. Since the mechanics are basically a Chevy, why pay more money for the Buick unless it has a lot of features standard. Buick doesn't need stripped down models with plastic wheel covers.

That's the reasoning behind this. Glad GM is finally listening.

that scared me for a second, it only read "Buick Will Do Away With" on the link, i though they were getting rid of the Tri-Shield..

Cloth in most cars is at least 1/3 to 1/2 of the cars made. I know there are many people that just hate leather.

If Buick want to be taken seriously they need to lose the cheap car image. They may want to still be affordable but they do not want the entry level stigma.

The new suede seats/leather in the V series, GXP and even my HHR SS are nice. SO far they are holding up well and look more expensive than they are. They are nice and grippy in the corners.

I think Buicks should come standard with leather seats, but offer a no cost cloth option, like Benz used to on some of their cars...if someone wants cloth, then they can get it

Good idea.

I don't mind cloth if it's good cloth. A nice knit like I have seen on some euro cars. Not the

mouse fur like on the base lacrosse or cars like the mazda6 or camry/toyotas. The lambdas have nice cloth. The Malibu does not.

I don't mind good cloth if the trade off is a bolstered sport seat.

What else works is a cloth/ leather mix.

New Taurus cloth is really nice.

Speaking of leather, I got a 2011 regal brochure this wkd and the interior pic showed enough detail of the leather grain on the seats. I was excited that it's not the cheap smooth grain stuff like on the lacrosse but more of the pebble grain like more common on euro cars. Nice to see that. I hope they don't revert back to the cheap stuff when production moves to Oshawa for 2012

Edited by regfootball

Leather does not wear well in Texas at all. Cloth does. My Toronado is the luxury cloth. I prefer it. The Ninety Eight is leather and I have had to have the leather dyed. There are cracks in the leather and more. when you get in and out of leather seats, the dye also comes off the seats too. I often wondered why there was no high end cloth seats. The sun does serious damage to leather in Texas.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room