Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

New York 2010: 2011 Nissan Juke is actually pretty neat

17 posts in this topic

Filed under: New York Auto Show, Budget, Japan, Crossover, Nissan

juke630.jpg
2011 Nissan Juke - Click above for high-res image gallery

Attention all you small crossover fans out there, now is the time to get excited. Nissan pulled back the curtain on the 2011 Juke and although we've seen it (at the Geneva Motor Show), we're still glad it's here. We're being implored to mention that some of us think the front end has a Pontiac Aztek quality about it. Others ("Hi, Mom!") feel different. Yeah, it's... not normal looking, but we've seen worse. At least it's not derivative. The rest of the Juke's styling, however, is much less controversial. Especially that rear three-quarter view.

Sadly, Nissan has neglected to hold a press conference for the Juke, so we're still not sure exactly how much power this mini-ute is making. For now, we're stuck with the "180+ horsepower and 170+ lb-ft of torque" from its 1.6-liter direct-injected four-cylinder turbo, figures that are cited in the car's press release. There's a manual option for the front drivers, but CVT-only for the torque-vectoring all-wheel-drive versions. As soon as we can track down a Nissan employee with the details, we'll update the post. Until then, chew on this for more details. Also, while this here Juke is a right-hand driver, Nissan will be selling Jukes to us left-seat driving, high-rider loving Yanks come 2011.

Photos by Drew Phillips / Copyright ©2010 Weblogs, Inc.

Continue reading New York 2010: 2011 Nissan Juke is actually pretty neat

New York 2010: 2011 Nissan Juke is actually pretty neat originally appeared on Autoblog on Wed, 31 Mar 2010 09:28:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=LcUrEntoM_A:1-jN6xQv96Q:wF9xT autoblog?i=LcUrEntoM_A:1-jN6xQv96Q:V_sGL
LcUrEntoM_A

View the full article

Blame the Pontiac, bless the Nissan. :rolleyes:

Non coherent design and mish mash of lines exemplified.

C'mon, April 1st is tomm - NO WAY is this a real proposal.

The headlights are on TOP of the hood!

I guess they want it to lit up the sky than the road.

Nope, intended for production. It's already been shown at some European shows. It's, um, different. I guess a Soul competitor for Nissan (similar side window shapes).

There's 2 vetical feet between the FT & RR door handles.

You could rent billboard space on that expanse of cheap black plastic at the C-pillar.

There hasn't been a more poorly integrated RR bmper since the Citation.

Worth endlessly repeating: the headlights are on the friggin' hood. They might as well be on the roof.

It's horrendous from every angle & over every square inch. A rolling monstrosity. Aztek version 2.0.

How anyone with sight can give this a bye is beyond me.

Unfortunately, this is the future of modern design- quirky/different/bulbous with seams running akimbo, because everything else within the tightening frame of aerodynamics & packaging has been done and done again, leaving us with 'visions' such as the Cube & the Joke.

I guess, as usual, GM and Pontiac were 12 years ahead of the curve in terms of ugliness by building Aztec before the Japanese and Koreans.

There is no way these vehicles should be given a pass when GM is butchered for Aztec.

I guess, as usual, GM and Pontiac were 12 years ahead of the curve in terms of ugliness by building Aztec before the Japanese and Koreans.

There is no way these vehicles should be given a pass when GM is butchered for Aztec.

I guess in this decade, ugly is in, ugly is hip? These are the days of unhappy fish faces and violent toasters..

Giant Jackrabbit from SPAAAACE. Cool!

I think the lights on top of the hood are park/signal lamps. The headlights are round. See if you can spot them.:)

Edited by ocnblu

I guess Nissan felt inspired to create their own little Aztek. There is simply no attractive angle on this vehicle. YIKES!

I think it looks pretty good. The Aztek is just... horrendous:

Pontiac-Aztek.jpg

If you judge it using criteria used to judge a super car or a '60s classic, sure, it's "ugly" in that it's not wide, low, long, sleek, or covered in chrome. But from a contemporary industrial design POV, Nissan did a great job. Personally I don't see what's "wrong" with designing headlights high up on the fenders. The front end view of the Juke is quite menacing.

You know, if the top lights were removed, and the round holes beneath the grill were the only lights, it would be pretty good. I wouldn't mind seeing a sports coupe with that nose. It would look very retro '60s... the old sinister look, which made so many cars look bad ass. Unfortunately, as an SUV, its just meh.

Minus the top lights, I think it looks better than an Aztek.

I sincerely think it looks like a jackrabbit, and I think it is kind of cool. The upper lamps are park/signal/marker lamps. The big round ones are the headlights and the foglamps are low in the black valance. I'd like the see the 6-speed manual in the AWD version, but alas. 180hp turbo with six speed manual in the FWD version should be fun to drive, as the thing is relatively tiny, SHORTER than a Suzuki SX4, and much smaller than RAV, CR-V, et al. The interior is neat, too, and the back seats fold flat, something an Equinox/Terrain cannot claim.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0