Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

New York 2010: Scion reveals better looking, more powerful 2011 tC

15 posts in this topic

Filed under: New York Auto Show, Coupe, Performance, Japan, Scion

leadsciontcny2010live.jpg
2011 Scion tC - Click above for high-res image gallery

The big reveal for Scion at the 2010 New York Auto Show is staring you square in the face. Meet the 2011 tC. Scion describes the car as defining "refined aggression." They called it, "masculine," too. Even though the new car borrows fairly heavily from the 2006 Fuse concept (not to mention the outgoing tC), our collective jury is still out on the refined aggression part. But we'll go ahead and agree that the new model does indeed look more masculine, which is good for Scion, as the tC demographic not only skews young (most youthful in the industry it turns out), but very male as well.

As for what's new, the engine is now a 2.5-liter I-4, up from 2.4 liters. Power is up as well. The new tC ships with a respectable 180 horsepower and 173 pound-feet of torque. That's plus 19 ponies and 11 pound feet. The suspension is now "sport tuned" and the power steering is electronic, which Scion assured us better allows the engineers to dial in more steering feel. Uh-huh.

The new tC also gets better gas mileage than the previous car (no word yet on exactly how much better) and comes with two new transmissions. There's a six-speed automatic that features sequential-shift (Scion-speak for a manual shift mode) as well asa six-speed manual that promises more refined shifting than the old five-speed.

Other goodies include 18-inch wheels and larger tires, bigger brake rotors (Scion claimed 16-inch rotors front and back during the press conference, but that's... insane) and a flat-bottom steering wheel. The tC has been our favorite Scion ever since Scion replaced the fist-gen xB with the fatter second-gen model. As such, it looks as if we have a new favorite. Press release, after the jump.

Gallery: 2011 Scion tC

001-scion-tc_thumbnail.jpg002-scion-tc_thumbnail.jpg003-scion-tc_thumbnail.jpg004-scion-tc_thumbnail.jpg005-scion-tc_thumbnail.jpg

Live photos by Drew Phillips / Copyright ©2010 Weblogs, Inc.

Continue reading New York 2010: Scion reveals better looking, more powerful 2011 tC

New York 2010: Scion reveals better looking, more powerful 2011 tC originally appeared on Autoblog on Wed, 31 Mar 2010 14:59:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=wEcI2DHMIJk:DpTOS3W3CYE:wF9xT autoblog?i=wEcI2DHMIJk:DpTOS3W3CYE:V_sGL
wEcI2DHMIJk

View the full article

Toyota has finally destroyed the last attractive (if not slightly bland) car it built. This looks like a relic from the 1980s. And are those Ventshades I see? Christ.

TERRIBLE. The proportions are laughable, and some of the detailing is just bizarre.

it's having more blocky/sharper corners like it's siblings... i almost thought it was a new xA... almost.

the tC was the most atractive car toyota had, but that's not saying much

I can't quite put my finger on it, but I find the exterior very unattractive. Did Toyota hire Hyundai's old designers?

That interior looks like a monkey.

2.5L and 180hp means a fairly low/mid rpm powerband. The engine probably revs like crap. A good sport-compact engine at 2.5L should be pushing at least 210hp. This isn't a family sedan, or maybe Toyota forgot that. What happened to the engineers at Toyota who used to build 100hp/liter engines?

PS: I hate Scion's website.

Edited by siegen

I don't mind the exterior at all. Interior looks cheap but functional, but cheap.

That exterior is awful. I do actually like some of the styling of the interior though. Specifically just the layout of the cowl/vents though.

This does not help make Scion relevant. It's like Toyota is barely trying.

That interior looks terribly cheap, not that the targeted demographic will likely care. Its exterior is also way lame.

Mmm, what people really want in a sporty coupe is a Camry four-cylinder engine. Right.

Other goodies include 18-inch wheels and larger tires, bigger brake rotors (Scion claimed 16-inch rotors front and back during the press conference, but that's... insane)

That amused me quite a bit.

Doesn't look better, just different. Not enough of an evolution. Old already. NEXT!

That amused me quite a bit.

Haha yeah. The ONLY reason it might need them is because it'd be a pig to stop. But in a car with not even 200 hp, there is little to no reason to justify the extra cost of big brakes. Sucks for those who have to replace them eventually...

It's like this car has an identity crisis. When I first saw it last night I was confused and a bit nauseated. I showed a front 3/4 pic to my brother to see what he thinks (judge how others react to it) and the first thing he said was "The front looks like a Camry" lol Then he said "I kind of like it". Then I showed him the side profile... "Ew.. Why does it look like a sedan?" Haha, basically, I was at lose for words, and he filled them in for me.

Too much "box" and "swoop" together in one car.

Edited by fuel_sipping

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room