Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

New York 2010: 2011 Hyundai Equus arrives to take on the big guns

16 posts in this topic

Filed under: New York Auto Show, Sedan, Hyundai, Luxury

equus-7988opt.jpg
2011 Hyundai Equus - Click above for high-res image gallery

When the first Hyundai Excels rolled onto American roads in the late-1980s, it was hard to image the Korean automaker getting taken seriously as a builder of budget cars. Taking on the likes of Mercedes-Benz and BMW would have been an absurd thought. And yet later this year that is exactly what Hyundai is doing as the new Equus begins to arrive at American dealers.

Visually, the the Equus hasn't changed much in its trip across the Pacific. For the U.S. market, the winged hood ornament had been discarded in favor of a flush mounted badge with the same logo that adorned the trunk lid of the Korean market model. The bars of the grille have been replaced with horizontal slats that make it look more like the Genesis sedan.

The Equus is equipped with all the techno-gimmickry one expects in a big luxury sedan today, including adaptive cruise control and navigation. The 4,376-pound is suspended on electronically controlled air springs and power comes from a 385 horsepower version of the 4.6-liter Tau V8 already seeing duty in the Genesis. The only thing the Equus lacks compared to a Lexus or Benz is an oversized sticker price. Hyundai says the Equus will be priced in the mid $50,000 range when it goes on sale later this year. You can check out the full press release (including a by-the-numbers comparison of how the Equus stacks up against its main rivals) after the jump, or check out the high-res gallery below (we'll have live shots from Javitz shortly).

[source: Hyundai]

Continue reading New York 2010: 2011 Hyundai Equus arrives to take on the big guns

New York 2010: 2011 Hyundai Equus arrives to take on the big guns originally appeared on Autoblog on Thu, 01 Apr 2010 10:45:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=Fu8SNasniPc:tfvxSB_RDSE:wF9xT autoblog?i=Fu8SNasniPc:tfvxSB_RDSE:V_sGL
Fu8SNasniPc

View the full article

The concept of a fullsize RWD Hyundai sedan is interesting, but the actual execution of the design is rather dull and uninspired.

A $55-60,000 Hyundai will be a tough sell, but it is still better than anything Cadillac or Lincoln have.

Bland, and boring, but at least it doesn't share the dreadful dash and console from the Genesis.

I'm telling you, this car had one of the largest crowds at the DC auto show when I went.

this car could be a potential PR buzzkill for Hyundai.

agreed.

I think this is a biiger gamble than they realize.

The Genesis sedan is doing better than I thought it would, so I don't think this will be a total dud in the marketplace. There was considerable crowd interest in the Equus at the L.A. Auto Show. The grille is just as bad as that on the Genesis sedan.

Look at the 1st Lexus LS400, look at this car. If the story repeats itself, Cadillac better have something waaay good up its sleeve with the XTS.

The sonata is new contemporary style. This has the style of all the really stuffy looking Japanese luxury cars they never used to import here, especially the interior. The interior looms like a cheesy faux attempt at a late 90's Mercedes interior. This in no way is cutting edge like the sonata is. Why make progress like that and then let a stinky fart like this?

It is conservative looking, but that is what the segment usually goes for. The Lexus LS and S-class and A8 have bland styling, until the recent S-class got a bit more aggressive. The Sonata looks really good, I saw 2 new ones on the road today. This car could look better, but it still packs in a ton of content for the price. A well optioned DTS costs as much as this car, compare the two, 385 hp rear drive and limo-like back seat or a 290 hp FWD barge from the 90s. That is no contest if you aren't looking at the badge on the hood.

Not really exciting (maybe they can add some cladding?) but that back seat area looks top notch, and thats a far bigger selling point in this class.

Not cutting-edge in any sense, but it is a nice entry into the market. It would be nice to see something new though as this comes off as too "tried".

Hyundai is really going places.

The styling is so-so and somewhat derivative, but at least it is RWD w/ a V8. At least the front end isn't disgusting like the Sonata hybrid.

A $55-60,000 Hyundai will be a tough sell, but it is still better than anything Cadillac or Lincoln have.

I wouldn't expect anything less from you.

There is a monster hyundai dealer near me, I believe one of the largest on the East Coast.

Dealership used to be a mitsu dealer, but we all kno how that turned out. Took on hyundai, I don't think mitsu are even available there anymore.

At issue is- the same fleet whore accents & sonatas are sold side-by-side on the same gravel & (mostly) dirt/weed-strewn lot, right on a 4-lane divided highway. There is no signage (except on the building), no landscaping, nor any curbing; the car carriers just slide off the highway, throwing dirt over everything there, and offload right there. The genesis models are mixed in with the bottom feeders on the dirt lot... and the eqwuss will be displayed the same way. Only thing worse I've seen in person was the kia dealer- a 1-story service garage with NO showroom.

This hyundai dealer also runs abhorrant, loud, 'I crack me up' ads insessantly.

No surprise: the genesis's just sit & sit...

I can't imagine anyone who hadn't already made up their mind stepping foot on that lot.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room