NewsFeeder

Focus on Brands Pays off With Sales Gains

11 posts in this topic

By Susan Docherty
Vice President, Marketing

docherty headshotToday we reported our March sales, and we’re happy to announce that our four brands were up 43 percent, with every brand contributing double digit sales year-over-year improvements. In fact, our four brands delivered sixth consecutive months of year-over-year retail sales gains.

Our launch products remain hot.  Camaro had its best month yet and Equinox was up more than 200 percent, leading Chevy to a 41 percent sales increase.  LaCrosse total sales were up 236 percent, driving a 76 percent increase in Buick sales.

GMC is up by 45 percent, led by Terrain, which delivered nearly 4,800 units; and SRX sales are up over 500 percent, fueling a 42 percent increase in Cadillac total sales.

In the first quarter, Buick was the fastest growing of GM’s brands, recording a sales increase of 57 percent.

For the month, our launch vehicles represented more than one in every four retail sales, and we’re doing everything we can to carefully manage supply to keep up with demand, as well as increasing production at key plants to make sure we have the products available our dealers need.

And, we’re excited about the prospects for the rest of the year as products like the Chevy Cruze and Buick Regal roll out.

These results demonstrate our plan for growth is on track. Moving forward, we will continue to focus on making great cars and trucks and taking good care of our customers.

For more details and all the numbers, see our press release here.

ZPFamttThUY

View the full article

Wow, fewer stronger brands is better than a lot of weak ones. Who knew? Oh right, pretty much everyone except for GM management from 2004-2009.

Now keep moving ........... Get us a Cruze

SPORT wagon

2 Dr

and engines options we want DI-2.4 VVT and the turbo 2.0L

Edited by RjION

Wow, fewer stronger brands is better than a lot of weak ones. Who knew? Oh right, pretty much everyone except for GM management from 2004-2009.

You're also forgetting the 70% of C&G that seems to think GM needs 19 brands.

You're also forgetting the 70% of C&G that seems to think GM needs 19 brands.

No, many here advocated a mere 5 brands set up as 3 channels... Chevy, Caddy and BPG. And its my contention that GM could have done considerably better if Pontiac was still here and had compelling product... GM has no true replacement for the Solstice, G8, G6 convertible or G6 coupe... and apparently, nothing in the pipeline.

Personally, I'm not convinced that this new found success is because of GM getting rid of a brand. It is a perfect storm of pent-up demand, debt reduction and Toyota's disaster.

GM sold 185,406 core brand cars only this year in March and last year they sold 156,380 last year in MArch with Pontiac, Saturn, Hummer and Saab included in that number.

I guess the lost of all those diehard upset Pontiac and Saturn owners has made a major impact as many had predicted. GM's numbers for the month were were second best only to Nissan so they must have done something right.

This is only part of the less is more plan. The other part is the money they would have spread over 5 models will now only go into two and they will get the improvments and marketing GM could not spread over 5 in the past.

Kind of like offensive linemen. I would rather have 4 strong ones vs 8 weak ones.

Pofits will only get better with wiser spending on less product. Todays public has little loyalty to GM like they have had for Toyota. Now is the time to win them back with a stong solid lineup that will have something for the majority of the public. It works for everyone else so there is no reason why it will not work for GM.

The reason for this lift is new product like the Nox, Terrain and other models that are selling well. Just because they would have sold some heavily discounted G3, G5 and G6 would not have done much to help. The Solstice and G8 numbers would have been little to help even if they sold out.

Edited by hyperv6

GM sold 185,406 core brand cars only this year in March and last year they sold 156,380 last year in MArch with Pontiac, Saturn, Hummer and Saab included in that number.

Invalid comparison... that was during the worst part of the automotive recession... you remember back then, when everything was tanking, but the G8 was hitting its best sales.

I guess the lost of all those diehard upset Pontiac and Saturn owners has made a major impact as many had predicted. GM's numbers for the month were were second best only to Nissan so they must have done something right.

And oddly, it was predicted here a while back that a good deal of Pontiac faithful would probably go to Nissan.

The brand fight goes back years. If Geo and Saturn had never been created. Hummer and Saab never been licensed/purchased, we'd probably still have 6 GM brands today.

I actually think once we're out the the recession, having more brands will actually be beneficial if you can manage them properly. Witness Lexus, BMW, and Benz getting all muddled in image trying to be everything to everyone.

Anyone notice BMW's slogan is now "Joy is BMW"? Quite a step back from "The Ultimate Driving Machine"

More brands, fewer models per brand, more body styles per model, more focused product. That's the next stage in this game once the ship rights itself.

The brand fight goes back years. If Geo and Saturn had never been created. Hummer and Saab never been licensed/purchased, we'd probably still have 6 GM brands today.

I actually think once we're out the the recession, having more brands will actually be beneficial if you can manage them properly. Witness Lexus, BMW, and Benz getting all muddled in image trying to be everything to everyone.

Anyone notice BMW's slogan is now "Joy is BMW"? Quite a step back from "The Ultimate Driving Machine"

More brands, fewer models per brand, more body styles per model, more focused product. That's the next stage in this game once the ship rights itself.

+1 There. Yes a focused Pontiac and or Saturn here would have driven the sales past 200,000 mark for a good month.

Wait till BMW starts putting competition to Chevrolet Spark. There is going to be a bloodbath in automobile industry in the next 4-5 years and I see EU brands being the major one hit, especially the hallow ones.

Well said. That is all I need to say.

VW is the one that has me scratching my head right now. They think they are going to suddenly step in and capture 50% of Camry's market with an as yet unnamed mid-size sedan, at the same time the next gen Fusion/Milan,NG Malibu, New Regal, New Sonata, and probably a refreshed Camry/Accord/Altima hit the market. They are bringing the Phaeton back, they apparently felt the "400+Hp Hybrid SUV that can tow 7,000lbs and costs $65k" market was being under served by the Tahoe Hybrid, and they're doing a newer New Beetle.

If any brand anywhere needs to focus on it's "core", it's VW.

edit: Oh yea, and add in the Suzuki Kizashi to that list as well. If there was any vehicle in NYC that surprised me most, it was that car. More on that later.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead