Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Cruze gets an upgrade for N.A.

9 posts in this topic

Rick Kranz

Automotive News -- April 5, 2010 - 12:01 am ET

General Motors Co. has changed the North American version of its new global compact car, the Chevrolet Cruze, to reduce noise and improve safety and fuel economy.

The Cruze goes on sale here in the third quarter as the successor to the Cobalt. It is bigger than the Cobalt, will be better equipped and will be priced higher.

"We have a different set of competitive vehicles here in North America than what exists in Europe," said Chuck Russell, GM's vehicle line director for compact cars in North America. "We needed to make a number of adjustments."

Among the changes for the North American Cruze:

-- To reduce noise, an acoustic laminated windshield was substituted, and doors got more insulation. Sealers were added to some of the door headers.

-- The North American Cruze has 10 airbags, including knee airbags and rear seat side airbags, more than any other version of the Cruze.

-- In place of an independent rear suspension, GM selected a Z-link design. Russell said: "We use it to provide the car with a lot of agility, a lot of directness with respect to the way the vehicle steers and the way the rear end of the car follows the front."

-- GM said the Cruze Eco model will get 40 mpg on the highway, compared with 29 to 36 mpg highway, depending on the model, for the nonhybrid 2010 Honda Civic.

To reach that target, the Cruze Eco has a 1.4-liter turbocharged four-cylinder engine, low-resistance tires and aluminum wheels to cut weight.

CRUZE NEWS

Cruze upgrades for North America

• 10 airbags

• Acoustic windshield

• 40 mpg highway (Eco version)

• Z-link rear suspension

Read more: http://www.autonews.com/article/20100405/OEM01/304059976/1422#ixzz0kEhzFTHX

-- In place of an independent rear suspension, GM selected a Z-link design. Russell said: "We use it to provide the car with a lot of agility, a lot of directness with respect to the way the vehicle steers and the way the rear end of the car follows the front."

I don't think the Euro Cruze has an IRS... IIRC it uses a torsion beam, with the Astra using its own unique torsion beam design. That's the reason there is no AWD offered in tha Astra for now: a driveshaft and a rear differential do not fit with that suspension setup.

if that means a bigger trunk, i am ok with that. the cobalt, hhr, etc. have trunks that go deep into the floor. UNLIKE the epsilon cars.

although, IRS and low trunk aren't mutually exclusive. my 500 had a bottomless trunk and IRS. Not sure why the epsilons rob so much trunk space. the cruze will probably have a more useful trunk than a Malibu.

-- The North American Cruze has 10 airbags, including knee airbags and rear seat side airbags, more than any other version of the Cruze.

:facepalm: "How could anyone survive with only the ones that actually help you?"

I must be missing something, because laminated windshields have been the law for decades...

I must be missing something, because laminated windshields have been the law for decades...

Might be that this is an "an acoustic laminated windshield" not your regular laminated windshield.

After reading the headline I thought they put the 2.4 DI as an option.

GM needs to take that 1.8L off and just offer the 1.4T as the base as they were originally planning to.

Is there going to be a coupe version or should I get a Cobalt coupe before they stop making them? I want a two door car.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0