Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

NHTSA investigating 6.2 million GM trucks/SUVs over faulty brake line

7 posts in this topic

NHTSA investigating 6.2 million GM trucks/SUVs over faulty brake line

04/06/2010, 3:42 AMBY MARK KLEIS

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has announced that it will be investigating the possibility of faulty brake lines that may fail due to corrosion on as many as 6.2 million GM trucks and SUVs. The vehicles were produced between 1999 and 2003.

According to Detroit News, NHTSA has opened a preliminary investigation regarding 6.2 million vehicles produced by GM between 1999 and 2003, based on 110 complaints.

According to complaints filed with NHTSA, several model year 1999-2003 GM trucks and SUVs including the Chevy Suburban, Tahoe, Avalanche and Silverado, as well as the GMC Yukon and Sierra, contain brake lines that can corrode and result in a loss in pressure. The drop in pressure can result in significantly reduced stopping power, ultimately resulting in extended stopping distances.

According to Detroit News, NHTSA also received a petition on March 2, 2010, seeking an investigation for the same problem on the 2003 heavy-duty Silverado 2500.

“The complaints allege the loss of braking effectiveness due to brake line rupture because of corrosion,” said safety official Chris Lash in a NHTSA filing. “In 37 of these complaints, the brake line failure was confirmed by a dealer inspection.”

A spokesman for GM, Alan Adler, said that GM is aware of the investigation and is working with NHTSA to find a resolution.

To date, three accidents have been attributed to the problem.

link:

http://www.leftlanenews.com/nhtsa-investigating-6-2-million-gm-truckssuvs-over-faulty-brake-line.html

110 Complaints out of 6.2 million?

I know more Toyota Tacomas that have rusted in half taking out the brakes lines with them number more than 110 trucks. A local dealer took back near 30 alone. They would not cover my buddies truck since it was one beyond what Toyota would cover. It too broke in two.

Funny how the NHTSA will choke on a fle and swollow an elephant.

Brake lines that rust-out are a pretty normal thing, but I'd expect them to last 10 years.

It ought to be industry standard to use stainless - problem solved.

Brake lines that rust-out are a pretty normal thing, but I'd expect them to last 10 years.

It ought to be industry standard to use stainless - problem solved.

With the number of truck built that would add up to a lot of money.

Brake lines go bad in many cars at 10-12 years. It has always been this way. Many of the import also lose their rubber lines too.

This whole thing is nothing that has not been going on for years that is why we have had duel braking systems. I suspect the goverment is looking into it just to prove it is not playing favorites after the Toyota thing. This will go away as fast as it appeared. If they nail GM they would have to nail everyone. In fact I have fixed more brake lines on Fords vs all others.

That's true, Fords are notorious for rotted brake lines.

I still say it should be industry standard to use stainless, IMO it is more important than adding airbags (cheaper too).

That's true, Fords are notorious for rotted brake lines.

I still say it should be industry standard to use stainless, IMO it is more important than adding airbags (cheaper too).

Oh god! No more air bag please. The only major injury I ever had was from an air bag. It went off when the front bumper hit the ditch. I would have walked away ok if it had not gone off. Second degree burns, cuts, bruses and ringing ears. Not to mention that smell that I still can recall. I am just glad I did not have side bags or I may have died. LOL!.

Oh god! No more air bag please. The only major injury I ever had was from an air bag. It went off when the front bumper hit the ditch. I would have walked away ok if it had not gone off. Second degree burns, cuts, bruses and ringing ears. Not to mention that smell that I still can recall. I am just glad I did not have side bags or I may have died. LOL!.

OUch!

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0