Chicago: 2007 Lincoln MKZ

LINCOLN MKZ: MIDSIZE LUXURY SEDAN RECEIVES POWER UPGRADE, AWD AND A FRESH FACE

• Entry-level Lincoln: Attracting a new generation of luxury customers to the Lincoln showroom

• Power and performance: More powerful, efficient, 250 horsepower 3.5-liter V-6 paired with a smooth-shifting 6-speed transmission; more engaging, performance oriented driving character; added confidence of available intelligent all-wheel drive.

• Added confidence: Available intelligent all-wheel drive (AWD)

• Hallmarks of luxury: Refined waterfall grille and front fascia; new 17-inch, 8-spoke, machined aluminum wheels; available THX® II Certified audio system and SIRIUS satellite radio
The 2007 Lincoln MKZ has a more powerful 3.5-liter V-6 and a newly designed front end.

LUXURY SEDAN REBORN

Following the strong sales launch of the Lincoln Zephyr in the autumn of 2005, the entry-level luxury sedan is reborn for the 2007 model year with a new, more powerful 3.5-liter V-6 engine, a newly designed front end, more traction with available all-wheel drive (AWD) and a new name – Lincoln MKZ.

"Customer demand for Lincoln’s mid-size luxury sedan has exceeded our expectations," says Al Giombetti, president, Ford, Lincoln Mercury Marketing and Sales. "We have taken a brand-new, well-received car and significantly improved it to draw a new generation of customers to the Lincoln brand." Lincoln Zephyr has become an immediate sales success. "Judging by reaction in the showroom, customers are clearly ready for an American entry-level luxury sedan," Giombetti says.

POWERFUL NEW V-6 ENGINE DESIGNED TO DELIVER

Ford Motor Company’s all-new Duratec 35 V-6 engine paired with a premium 6-speed transmission delivers 250 horsepower and 240 pounds-foot of torque. The result will be smooth power and a confident, comfortable ride.

All-new Duratec 35 delivers 250 hp and 240 ft. lbs. of torque.

"Our new 3.5-liter V-6 coupled with an advanced 6-speed automatic provides an innovative solution for better fuel efficiency, more refinement, more power and clean emissions, without any sacrifices," says Barb Samardzich, Ford vice president of Powertrain Operations.

A strong, lightweight die-cast aluminum block and lightweight 4-valve direct-acting, mechanical-bucket valve train provide smooth, refined operation at high engine speeds. The intake was designed as a system all the way from the throttle body to the intake valves. This incorporates a dual-plenum intake manifold and intake variable cam timing to help ensure a smooth idle and broad torque curve for improved power. A 10.3:1 compression ratio and improved close-coupled catalysts reduce emissions.

The Lincoln MKZ is able to respond readily to its driver’s demands, thanks to the premium 6-speed automatic transmission. A torque-based electronic throttle control works with the electronically controlled transmission by adjusting throttle plate movement to tailor torque to the timing of each shift. In this way, the transmission is able to deliver smooth, barely perceptible gear changes.

CLASSIC, UNDERSTATED ELEGANCE

The exterior design of Lincoln MKZ incorporates classic elements of Lincoln style that have become essential to the visual heritage of the brand. Further refinement of Lincoln’s traditional waterfall grille, additional bright work and distinctive lighting gives the Lincoln MKZ an even more distinctive look.

17-inch alloy wheels are available with a machined-aluminum or chromed-aluminum finish.

The Lincoln MKZ’s profile features chromed trim at the beltline and on the mirror caps, set off by the wheels. The 17-inch alloy wheels are an important design element, available with a machined-aluminum appearance or a new chromed-aluminum finish. Low-profile tires reinforce the low, purposeful stance of the car.

The rear bumper surface is nearly flush, contributing to the clean, uncluttered lines. Twin chrome-tipped tailpipes are set wide apart below thin horizontal reflectors in the lower fascia, similar in placement to the front fog lamps. Together, the flush bumper and chrome-tipped dual exhaust communicate a subtle athleticism.

INSIDE: UNPRETENTIOUS LUXURY

The Lincoln MKZ uses genuine materials, including real wood, high-quality leather, satin nickel and chromed trim. White electro-luminescent lighting illuminates the round, chrome-ringed gauges, complementing the interior’s white lighting, which uses white light-emitting diodes (LEDs) to backlight controls and switches at night.

The instrument panel features a horizontal band of contrasting trim in either wood or satin nickel, which gives the interior a more "technical" appearance. When equipped with wood, interior choices are: Dark Charcoal or Light Stone with Ebony wood or Sand with Figured Maple wood.

"The figured maple gives the interior a fresh and exciting look," says Peter Horbury, executive director, North American Design. "The dark ebony is classic elegance for a traditional sense of luxury. The satin nickel, with its lightly raised ribbing, is technical and modern. We were able to establish three completely different ambient settings through use of these materials."

The Lincoln MKZ is designed for comfort, too, with more than three feet of rear-passenger legroom. The spacious feel of the cabin was achieved by stretching the width of the base architecture by 30 millimeters and the wheelbase by 55 millimeters.

The Lincoln MKZ features a large 15.8-cubic-foot trunk (largest trunk in its class) with a flat load floor and a low lift-over height. The deck lid has compact hinge mechanisms that won’t impinge on trunk volume or crush cargo. The rear seats feature class exclusive standard 60/40-split backs that individually fold flat with a convenient spring assist, giving access to the trunk and affording cavernous storage space.

Thanks to a rigid and robust structure, the quiet interior is the perfect environment for the industry’s first THX® II Certified audio system. Optional on the Lincoln MKZ, the system features surround-sound worthy of an upscale cinema. The system features 14 speakers, including two subwoofers with 600 watts of power and a sophisticated processor that inputs bandwidth, peak audio levels and coverage uniformity to deliver a smooth spectral balance and wide dynamic range. An MP3 audio input jack and factory-installed SIRIUS satellite radio are also available.

To ensure that drivers and passengers always travel with the right directions, a new DVD-based navigation system is optional and features a sharp 6.5-inch-wide screen and text-to-speech technology with travel directions in English, Spanish or French.

QUIET RIDE, NIMBLE HANDLING, AVAILABLE ALL-WHEEL DRIVE

With the addition of the Lincoln MKZ, Ford will offer more than 20 vehicles with all-wheel drive in 2007. Total annual sales of AWD vehicles for Ford alone are expected to exceed 500,000 units a year starting in 2007, making Ford an industry leader.

Lincoln MKZ’s chassis is tuned for a quiet, comfortable ride with confident, responsive handling. All aspects of the fully independent suspension – dampers, spring rates and bushings – have been specially selected and tuned with an emphasis on ride comfort without sacrificing precise and nimble response.

The standard 17-inch tires were selected to complement the suspension tuning and for their quiet tread design. The rack-and-pinion steering system was tuned to be in harmony with the suspension and tires. Utilizing the car’s stiff structure, the Lincoln MKZ mounts the steering gear to the front perimeter subframe for reduced noise and vibration. This lets the driver better experience the car’s relationship to the road via the steering wheel, whether it’s a parking maneuver or a high-speed lane change.

Lincoln MKZ’s independent rear suspension is tuned to deliver a precise and nimble response.

The available intelligent all-wheel-drive (AWD) system is tuned with an emphasis on luxury performance and confident all-weather driving. The system actively and seamlessly delivers torque to all four wheels, even before wheel slippage occurs. An active on-demand coupler delivers the precise amount of torque needed to the rear wheels. Paired with available traction control, intelligent AWD can transfer torque front-to-rear and side-to-side.

SAFETY: THE ESSENTIAL LUXURY

Lincoln MKZ features a number of highly advanced safety technologies. It was designed with Ford’s Personal Safety System™ and a body structure optimized to help manage energy in a crash.

Lincoln MKZ’s safety system includes standard driver and front passenger air bags, seat-deployed side air bags for thorax protection, and three-point safety belts at all seating positions, with front-seat pretensioners and retractors. A full-length safety curtain provides head protection over the length of the window glass area – from A-pillar to C-pillar.

The new air curtain can prevent both front and rear occupants from hitting their heads on the side window or roof pillars in a severe side collision. In addition, the side-curtain air bag can help block glass splinters or other objects that could cause injury in a side impact.

Lincoln MKZ’s two-row air curtains also feature "roll-fold" technology – an exclusive in the midsize segment. If an occupant is resting his or her head against a window, the air bag is designed to slide between the glass and occupant as it fills. Typical side air curtains unfold like an accordion. Lincoln’s roll-fold keeps the air curtain against the glass, even when the occupant is out of position.

Lincoln MKZ features four-wheel disc brakes with a four-sensor, three-channel anti-lock braking system (ABS) and electronic brake force distribution (EBD). By measuring brake force and directing braking to the wheels that have the best grip, EBD helps achieve shorter stopping distances even before ABS activates. Traction assist also is standard.

QUICK SPECS

POWERTRAIN

3.5-liter, DOHC, 24-valve, 60-degree, V-6

• 250 hp @ 6250 rpm

• 240 lb. ft. @ 4500 rpm

• Standard 6-speed automatic transmission

CHASSIS

• Wheelbase: 107.4 in.

• Length: 190.5 in.

• Max width: 72.2 in. (excluding mirrors)

SUSPENSION

• Front - Independent short and long arm (SLA) with rearward-facing lower control arms; 24-mm stabilizer bar

• Rear - Multilink fully independent with coil-over shock and lower control arms; 17-mm stabilizer bar

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Bimmer325

This kind of makes the 220 hp/205 lb/ft FWD '06 model an oddball.

Between this and the name change after one year, it kind of makes you think Lincoln should have -- oh, I don't know -- maybe waited a year to release the thing. Seriously, all of these major changes after a year suggests they rushed the car to market.

Oh, and about these guages...

Posted Image

There is far too much empty space there. The space between the speedometer and odometer makes it look terribly barren.

Between this and the name change after one year, it kind of makes you think Lincoln should have -- oh, I don't know -- maybe waited a year to release the thing. Seriously, all of these major changes after a year suggests they rushed the car to market.

Plus all the advertising Lincoln's done to spread the Zephyr name was basically a waste.

The name change is stupid, but nothing to get hung up on.  The real news is the Duratec and the AWD...it will make it a true performer now.

Well, yes, it's very good for the car, however, I can't help but wonder how exciting 250/240 is from the 3.5? I mean, we have other manufacturers with the same displacement putting out more hp and torque... it's like they're just barely catching up, and everyone else is going to blow them out of the water in the next year or two.

... or are they planning on putting in a different engine and changing the name again next year? :rolleyes:

Lots of weird decisions made by Lincoln... but regardless, the "MKZ" looks like an excellent product. If priced similarly to the Zephyr, it should attract buyers from A4s, S60s, TLs, and ES330s.

Love it!

Yes, it looks like a solid competitor in the FWD/AWD entry-lux market... I like the interior and exterior... I've driven the A4 and TL, if I were shopping for one of these, I'd probably go for the TL as you can get a manual, it has more features for the price than the A4, and I really like the interior and exterior styling.

Well, yes, it's very good for the car, however, I can't help but wonder how exciting 250/240 is from the 3.5?  I mean, we have other manufacturers with the same displacement putting out more hp and torque... it's like they're just barely catching up, and everyone else is going to blow them out of the water in the next year or two.

... or are they planning on putting in a different engine and changing the name again next year?  :rolleyes:

Well, who says 250 hp is all the Duratec 35 can put out? And whose to say that they won't offer a supercharged version at a later date? Remember, Zephyr is the entry level Lincoln...

Competition:

Acura TL

258 hp, 233 lb ft, 5 speed automatic, 3580 lb curb weight (auto) - $33,325

Lexus ES330

218 hp, 236 lb ft, 5 speed automatic, 3472 lb curb weight - $32,995

Cadillac CTS

255 hp, 252 lb ft, 5 speed automatic, 3568 lb curb weight (auto) - $32,690

Audi A4

255 hp, 243 lb ft, 6 speed automatic, 3748 lb curb weight - $35,210

Lincoln MkZ

250 hp, 240 lb ft, 6 speed automatic std, 3438 lb curb wieght (FWD, not including added Duratec 35 weight) - $31,xxx?

The standard 6-speed mated with the Duratec 35 and the low curb weight should help the MkZ stay competitive. The Zephyr is already noted for its good driving dynamics even with only 221 hp, so an extra 30 should help zip it along even more.

Edited by mustang84

All it is is what was planned-and should been available at the start. Its the same thing, I don't know what all the hoopla is for.

MKZ is a really stupid sounding name. Say it a few times. em-Kay-zee, EM-kay-zee, em-kay-ZEE.

It has no flow. I thought the M is for Mercury anyway. Why not give Lincoln its own letter or number?

MK is for Mark. Reads as "Mark-zee".

Obvious, no?

-RBB

Lincoln MKZ=Lexus ES

Lincoln MKS=Cadillac DTS

This makes far more sense. The MKS is FWD based, underpowered and way too big to seriously comptete with a 5-series. I think this means Lincoln wants to shed their geriatric image prior to releasing a RWD sedans. This also means that the Town Car is dead by 2010 my. Goodbye panther platform.

There are three types of upscale vehicles

luxury/sports cars-BMW 3/5/7,MB C/E/S, Lexus IS/GS/LS,etc

sporty/luxury cars-Lexus ES, Cadillac DTS & BLS, Lincoln MKZ/MKS, etc

ultraluxury cars-Bentley Conti GT/Flying spur, Maybach 57/62, etc

Of course sports car ethuisiasts will prefer the RWD based luxosports cars over the FWD based sporty-luxo cars

Lincoln is going the back-door route to build its own CTS or STS. Entice old costumers back from the ES and DTS to the MKZ & MKS and then get new costumers with RWD sports sedans. The best part of a FWD luxo sedan is that it usually is more profitable than a equally priced RWD sedan.

I like the alphanumeric Lincolns. its a much better direction for the brand than death.

I hope Lincoln tweaks the interior materials for 2007.  It looks good, IMO, but a $30,000 entry-lux car needs some decent materials.  The Fusion did not have this problem, for some odd reason.

The Zephyr has really excellent materials, IMO.

Lincoln MKZ=Lexus ES

Lincoln MKS=Cadillac DTS

This makes far more sense. The MKS is FWD based, underpowered and way too big to seriously comptete with a 5-series. I think this means Lincoln wants to shed their geriatric image prior to releasing a RWD sedans. This also means that the Town Car is dead by 2010 my. Goodbye panther platform.

There are three types of upscale vehicles

luxury/sports cars-BMW 3/5/7,MB C/E/S, Lexus IS/GS/LS,etc

sporty/luxury cars-Lexus ES, Cadillac DTS & BLS, Lincoln MKZ/MKS, etc

ultraluxury cars-Bentley Conti GT/Flying spur, Maybach 57/62, etc

Nah.

Lincoln MKZ= Lexus ES / Acura TL

Lincoln MKS = Audi A6w/Quattro / Acura RL

Linoln MK* flag = all the other flaghips; notably the A8 w/Quattro

Why is it that Lincoln can't have a lux lineup? They're well on their way to getting there. And it seems they'll zoom past Caddy if they don't introduce the ULS (or whatever flaghip name it'll have) soon.

Lincoln MKS is a large car, in it's class, but I don't see why it wouldn't handle well. Let's not jump the gun, and wait and see how the production car produces.

You have to work with what you got. GM didn't delay the CTS a year because the 3.6 engine wasn't ready?

Well, yes, it's very good for the car, however, I can't help but wonder how exciting 250/240 is from the 3.5?  I mean, we have other manufacturers with the same displacement putting out more hp and torque... it's like they're just barely catching up, and everyone else is going to blow them out of the water in the next year or two.

... or are they planning on putting in a different engine and changing the name again next year?  :rolleyes:

True....true.....but remember GM is only getting 240hp from their FWD application of the 3.6L HF.....

Guys, the MKS is just a teaser vehicle meant to portray Lincoln's future design language. In essence, it's little more than a study and will never see production (though styling cues might depending on consumer reaction).

Guys, the MKS is just a teaser vehicle meant to portray Lincoln's future design language.  In essence, it's little more than a study and will never see production (though styling cues might depending on consumer reaction).

Don't be so sure about that. Ford has registered the name "Mark S" (not just "MKS") to be used for a future Lincoln.

The MKS name may very well be used for a future Lincoln, but as far as I understand, the MKS we've seen will never make it to production.

Oh, I see what you mean now. I interpreted what you said before as there won't be a Mark S instead that wouldn't be the Mark S.

Thinking about it, I'd think the MKS's front end at least would remain the same with the rest of the car taking on the MKZ-style rear and interior as the Navigator did.

The MKS name may very well be used for a future Lincoln, but as far as I understand, the MKS we've seen will never make it to production.

I disagree. The MKS we've seen will not be far off the 385 Lincoln LS replacement that will be introduced in a few short years.