NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

2011 VW Phaeton spied without camo!

21 posts in this topic

2011 VW Phaeton spied without camo!

04/09/2010, 6:07 PMBY MARK KLEIS

Our previous attempts at capturing the upcoming 2011 VW Phaeton flagship sedan were foiled by camouflage, but our most recent photos show the Phaeton in its full glory. Our spy photographers managed to capture this hulking sedan in the midst of a late night VW photoshoot.

As you can tell from our most recent photos, compared to the current European model, the next Phaeton will get a new front bumper, grille and headlight-units. In back, changes appear limited to slightly re-designed taillamps. Although no major departure from previous design language is present, it does get a touch-up in virtually every areas.

There were rumors of a large V10 TDi motor for the Phaeton, but so far we don’t have any solid evidence of that.

Although the Phaeton’s main testing has taken place on European soil, it remains possible that the refreshed sedan could wind up in U.S. showrooms. VW executives are said to be keen on the Phaeton’s return to the U.S. market as the revised version of the car has seen tremendous sales success in the European market.

The VW Phaeton was last sold in the U.S. for the 2006 model year but VW was forced to pull the plug on the Phaeton after the U.S. market failed to embrace a $60,000+ VW model, selling only a couple thousand units in two years.

VW has said that the next Phaeton would ride on a slightly shorter platform than the Audi A8, and will have a price tag around $55,000.

link:

http://www.leftlanenews.com/vw-phaeton-2011.html

Interesting. I think the old Phaeton is one of the best used car buys on the market.

Nice. The proportions in profile are spectacular. The Phaeton and Passat CC are some truly gorgeous vehicles.

This is a joke, right ???

Minor trim shuffling is not going to change the 'lay of the land' for this car in the U.S.. It looks nearly identical. Worst possible time to launch, too.

This is a joke, right ???

Minor trim shuffling is not going to change the 'lay of the land' for this car in the U.S.. It looks nearly identical. Worst possible time to launch, too.

Who knows. Caddy is doing the big luxo-barge thing with the XTS, that emphasizes technology and plushness instead of being 1st around the Nurburgring. Maybe both GM and Vee Dub think the market's changing.

Bit of a perceptual difference between Cadillac & VW as far as 'luxo barges' go, no?

Bit of a perceptual difference between Cadillac & VW as far as 'luxo barges' go, no?

this

Yep, over here we think of VWs as cheap cars and over in Europe they think Cadillacs are rubbish. So either way not apples to apples.

I read that VW wants to give it another go, but would wait until the next generation to try it over here again. this is all fine and dandy, but what I want to know is why they can make a business case for a car that was a flop but not for the Scirocco. <_<

This car looks really boring, and why not just spend the extra $5,000 and get an A8. Plus, at the rate A8's depreciate, a 1 year old one could be had for less than a new Phaeton and Audi's warranty is longer than VW's, so the used A8 still has more coverage in warranty.

wow, those are some nice updates to the malibu.

cspec, the passat XL, er.....phaeton might be a good used car buy, until it needs to spend time in the shop like a good VW would. i would bet the phaeton is outrageous to maintain in terms of TCO.

It's likely to be a great car - VW has the money to properly invest in it and its cousins are the A8 and Flying Spur - that nobody will buy in the US. But this car obviously isn't designed for the US.

+2.

I read that VW wants to give it another go, but would wait until the next generation to try it over here again. this is all fine and dandy, but what I want to know is why they can make a business case for a car that was a flop but not for the Scirocco. <_<

I'm betting someone in VW USA said that the Scirocco would either cannibalize or be completely overshadowed by the Golf GTI.

Personally, I see the Scirocco as a Golf that Paul Bunyan accidentally stepped on. But to each his own, I suppose.

This car looks really boring, and why not just spend the extra $5,000 and get an A8. Plus, at the rate A8's depreciate, a 1 year old one could be had for less than a new Phaeton and Audi's warranty is longer than VW's, so the used A8 still has more coverage in warranty.

When you can find a brand-new A8 for 60 grand, let me know, because the '10 starts just under 75.

However, I do believe that this car should start around 45k depending on the content. 55 leaves way too wide a gap between this and where the Passat/CC should be.

When you can find a brand-new A8 for 60 grand, let me know, because the '10 starts just under 75.

However, I do believe that this car should start around 45k depending on the content. 55 leaves way too wide a gap between this and where the Passat/CC should be.

My suggestion was a used A8 instead of a new Phaeton. A 2 year old A8 will likely cost the same as a new Phaeton. And why buy a new Phaeton with a 3 year warranty when the more powerful Hyundai Equus has a 10 year warranty.

Shirley you are not suggesting that Hyundai approaches the stout, Germanic feel of a Phaeton.:rolleyes:

My suggestion was a used A8 instead of a new Phaeton. A 2 year old A8 will likely cost the same as a new Phaeton. And why buy a new Phaeton with a 3 year warranty when the more powerful Hyundai Equus has a 10 year warranty.

Translation: ehuhhuhuhuhuhuhahahuhuhuahahuhauhauhuah.

What's different about it? Looks the same to me.

New front grille, mostly. This was the old one (sorry for the size):

2005_VW_Phaeton.jpg

New VW Phaeton undisguised

VW's S-Class rival smiles for the camera in these late-night spy shots

Photos: Lehmann12th April 2010

Volkswagen's flagship saloon has finally revealed all! These spy-shots show a completely undisguised Phaeton prototype on a late night photoshoot, complete with a totally new front end and a fresh set of LED tail-lights at the rear.

The facelift will be the third since the Phaeton was introduced and Volkswagen will be hoping to finally establish their luxury saloon in the fiercely competitive market which already includes BMW's 7-Series and the Mercedes S-Class.

Inside, the luxurious cabin will remain with high quality materials in abundance. Changes will come to the centre console arrangement and dashboard, making controls easier to use and to bring the interior in line with big-name rivals.

Under the bonnet, rumours suggest that there will be a range of engines, including a new V10 diesel and a range of efficient turbocharged petrol engines.

The new Phaeton is likely to be unveiled at the Frankfurt Motor Show in September this year.

Read more: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/250696/new_vw_phaeton_undisguised.html#ixzz0kzCdu828

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor