Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Infiniti, Lexus not planning BMW 5-Series GT rival

8 posts in this topic

Infiniti, Lexus not planning BMW 5-Series GT rival

04/12/2010, 9:44 AMBY DREW JOHNSON

Infiniti is not known to shy away from polarizing designs, but the Japanese automaker says it has no plans to foray into the world of luxury hatchbacks. Luxury rival Lexus says it will also stay on the sidelines of the new segment that includes the likes of the BMW 5-Series GT and Acura ZDX.

Infiniti already offers the segment-busting FX crossover, but the Japanese automaker says it has no plans for a sedan-wagon hybrid. Infiniti cites a lack of strong customer demand as American buyers are still largely opposed to wagon-like hatchback vehicles.

“What they’re seeing is a much stronger preference (among consumers) for a trunk,” Ben Poore, Nissan North America’s vice president of the Infiniti business unit, said in a recent interview with Edmund’s AutoObserver.

Poore added that Infiniti will continue to focus on the “crossover styling or the trunk styling.”

Lexus says it will also stay away from the premium hatchback segment. “We don’t have any plans for it right now,” said Dave Nordstrom, Lexus vice president of marketing. “We have not seen the demand from our customers — but we continue to look at it.”

Lexus will soon begin sales of the CT 200h hatchback, but has nothing in the works to slot above the CT.

link:

http://www.leftlanenews.com/infiniti-lexus-not-planning-bmw-5-series-gt-rival.html

Report: Infiniti And Lexus Opt Out Of Apple-Bottom Hatch Race

By Nelson Ireson

Editor

April 9th, 2010

These days it's often a game of follow the leader as new (or rehashed) body styles enter the market. First it was minivans, then SUVs, then crossovers, then four-door coupes, and now the five-door, not-quite-a-hatchback big-rear car is taking root at BMW with the 5-Series Gran Turismo and Honda/Acura with the Accord Crosstour and ZDX. But Infiniti and Lexus have decided to opt out of that segment.

We can't say we're disappointed, as so far the cars that populate it do more to make us cringe than salivate. It's a risk for Lexus and Infiniti, however, as form-factor innovation has sold a lot of vehicles over the years. On the other hand, it may be BMW and Acura that are taking the risk, as Americans don't tend to favor wagons or hatchbacks, and either way you look at the 5-Series GT or Acura ZDX, they fall into one of those categories.

Of course, Lexus and Infiniti aren't without their own red-headed step-cars in terms of design and styling (the 2010 New York Auto Show's Lexus CT 200h and Infiniti QX spring to mind) but the fat-hatch segment might be considered adding insult to injury.

There are ways to do the more-useful-sedan look right, however. Though it's not sold in this generation of the car, the Mazda6 five-door hatch was a solid design, and Audi's recently unveiled A5 Sportback is nigh-on stunning. There have even been coachbuilt versions we'd mortgage the house for, including the Maserati Cinqueporte. Porsche's Panamera is something of an oddball in the segment, offering incredible performance with awkward proportions, leaving us on the fence about its viability.

And amidst all of this turmoil there's the renascence of the wagon with fantastically good-looking and even more useful cars like the Cadillac CTS Sport Wagon (and its delicious V variant) and the Mercedes-Benz E 350 wagon. Perhaps BMW/Acura/et al have the right idea in constantly bringing new shapes to market, but we're of the opinion that Infiniti and Lexus are on the smart path.

link:

http://www.motorauthority.com/blog/1044142_report-infiniti-and-lexus-opt-out-of-apple-bottom-hatch-race

Good. I actually saw two of those horrid things around town yesterday.

The ZDX is most moronic vehicle ever. Not just in looks, but the practicality of it sucks as well. I had the misfortune of trying to get into the back seat, and I had to contort my body just to get in, and I couldn't even sit straight up.

This is supposed to be a people mover. Whoever designed it is an idiot. Thank God no one else is following through in making vehicles for this stupid category.

The ZDX is most moronic vehicle ever. Not just in looks, but the practicality of it sucks as well. I had the misfortune of trying to get into the back seat, and I had to contort my body just to get in, and I couldn't even sit straight up.

This is supposed to be a people mover. Whoever designed it is an idiot. Thank God no one else is following through in making vehicles for this stupid category.

I've read good things from dealers about the ZDX. The people who are in the market for that kind of vehicle like it.

I'm tired of all the complaining about the back seats. It isn't meant to be a pedestrian people-mover. For crying out loud, if you need regular back seats go buy an MDX. I've read a bunch of reviews of the ZDX and it seems as though many of the reviewers think the ZDX is an MDX replacement or something. I don't know, maybe they actually do think that.

Think of it as a coupe. It's meant for two people, and there's nothing wrong with that. "So why not just build a coupe?" asks everyone. I'm not sure. I think there's room for both in the lineup, since there are plenty of Americans who love SUVs due to their ride height and seating position. Ultimately, the ZDX wasn't designed to sell in bulk. It was designed to be different and be luxurious, to improve the luxury image of Acura. perhaps they thought a crossover thing would do a better job at that than a coupe.

Well c'mooooon. It has four doors, and a rear seat that upon first glance, appear to make it look like a people mover.

At least, I thought so; so did the other people at the show who made climbing into the back seat something of a hula contest. The reps certainly didn't look too happy about people making a show out of it, either. Not really good exposure for Acura, at all.

The ZDX is one of the most useless vehicles on the market, and it pains me to say that because I'm a big Acura and Honda fan. For such a large, heavy vehicle, it doesn't have much utility, and needless to say, form does not follow function. And most of BMW's hatchback vehicles are grotesque.

i could barely get in and out of the ZDX at the auto show. It, like the horrid Crosstour has no usable cargo space. The rear door corner edge is ripe to slice many an ear and beer tapper door handles are stupid.

the only thing cool about the ZDX and crosstour are when you look in the rearview mirror the shaping of the back glass is kind of cool. The crosstour is ugly inside and out however. The ZDX interior is at least interesting. The Accord and Crosstours interiors are HORRID. garbage.

you could have an integra but the thing is they can charge 50 for a ZDX and only 25 for an Integra. Hence, the ZDX. Problem is the RSX or whatever stupid name the other small crossover is is totally useless. well, it never was worth anything to begin with.