GM Unveils All-New 2007 Chevrolet Avalanche, Makes

Variance

GM Unveils All-New 2007 Chevrolet Avalanche, Makes Major Announcements About E85 And OnStar At Chicago Auto Show

CHICAGO – General Motors will introduce the all-new 2007 Chevrolet Avalanche, the latest rollout of its next-generation full-size truck family and the industry’s most flexible utility vehicle, at the Chicago Auto Show. GM also makes major announcements strengthening its flexible-fuel vehicle leadership and adding a new navigation feature to OnStar, which celebrates its 10 th anniversary at the show.

“GM continues to demonstrate bold and innovative leadership in products, technology and gasoline savings,” said Brent Dewar, GM North America vice president, marketing and advertising. “On all of these fronts and more, GM is truly on a roll.”

2007 Chevrolet Avalanche

The Chevy Avalanche was the first to combine the passenger-comfort attributes of an SUV with the cargo capability of a truck. The 2007 model is based on GM’s brand-new, full-size SUV platform, which features more power with improved, segment-leading fuel economy and flex-fuel capability on some models; a sharper, more precise driving feel; increased interior refinement and improved quietness; and world-class safety. From its SUV comfort and ingenious Midgate to its new family of flex-fuel-capable engines, Avalanche delivers a unique combination of cargo and passenger options.

“Avalanche is a vehicle without peers, selling more than 379,500 units since its spring 2001 launch through December 2005,” said Ed Peper, Chevrolet general manager.

Avalanche is offered in LS, LT and LTZ models, with 2WD and 4WD. A Z71 off-road package will be offered later in the model year. At the start of production, Avalanche will be equipped with an efficient 5.3L V-8 delivering 320 horsepower (238 kw)* and 335 lb.-ft. of torque (463 Nm)*, along with Active Fuel Management™ technology, which seamlessly switches between eight- and four-cylinder power to save fuel. Two versions of the Vortec 5.3L Gen IV V-8 – including an aluminum-block version that is standard in 4WD models – are compatible with E85. They can run on any combination of gasoline and/or E85 fuel. Coming later in the year is a powerful, new all-aluminum 6.0L V-8 with variable valve timing and Active Fuel Management. The engine is rated at an estimated 355 horsepower (264 kw).

Pioneered on the first-generation Avalanche, the Midgate opens to extend the cargo-carrying capability from the cargo bed’s 5.3-foot-long (1.6 m) length to 8.2 feet (2.5 m) – 2 inches (51 mm) longer than previous models. The rear seat must be folded to achieve maximum storage capability; with the rear seat up and the Midgate closed, Avalanche has room for up to six passengers. Avalanche also offers up to 8,000 pounds (3,629 kg) of towing capability, when properly equipped, enhancing its flexible, ready-for-anything capability.

New features on the ’07 model enhance Avalanche’s flexible attributes and reflect customer feedback:

Central-locking tailgate – locking and unlocking the tailgate is more secure, as the conventional keyed lock is removed from the tailgate. Locking and unlocking functions are handled by the interior lock switches or from the Remote Keyless Entry fob.

Remote vehicle starting – standard on some models and available on others, the remote vehicle starting system allows convenient start-up from a distance to pre-heat or pre-cool the vehicle’s interior.

Cargo cover retaining straps – new straps allow the cargo covers to be held securely in place when removed from the storage compartments.

Avalanche also has a new tailgate that is spring-loaded to reduce the effort needed to open or close it.

GM pumps up E85 activity

A partnership between GM, Shell Oil Products US and VeraSun Energy Corp. will bring 26 additional E85 refueling stations to the greater Chicago area. The collaboration is part of a broader, national GM campaign to boost the use and awareness of ethanol-based E85 fuel in the U.S.

To promote E85 fuel and vehicles during the Chicago Auto Show, several major Chicago buildings will be illuminated in yellow lights in reference to the corn that is used to make most of the ethanol in the U.S. E85 supply; and city “street teams” will randomly reach out to Chicagoans Feb. 10-12 and 17-19 with giveaways that promote GM’s new “Live Green Go Yellow” E85 marketing and advertising campaign. GM also will promote E85 with a major presence in the 2006 NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series and with 2005 NASCAR Nextel Cup champion Tony Stewart.

The E85 partnership and marketing campaign are designed to encourage greater E85 use and showcase GM’s E85 FlexFuel vehicle leadership to U.S. consumers. E85 FlexFuel vehicles can run on any combination of gasoline and/or E85, a fuel blend of 85 percent ethanol and 15 percent gasoline. E85 can contribute to energy independence because it diversifies the source of transportation fuels beyond petroleum, and it provides positive environmental benefits in the form of reduced greenhouse gas emissions.

“GM is pursuing gasoline-savings solutions on many fronts on the way to our ultimate vision of hydrogen fuel cell-powered transportation,” said Elizabeth Lowery, GM vice president of environment and energy. “E85 ethanol burns cleaner than gasoline and is a renewable, domestic fuel that can enhance the nation’s economy and energy security.”

OnStar Turn-by-Turn Navigation

Many owners of new GM vehicles may remember 2006 as the last year they ever got lost while driving, thanks to Turn-by-Turn Navigation, the first factory-installed, fully integrated GPS navigation system from OnStar by GM.

OnStar Turn-by-Turn Navigation allows consumers to talk to a live advisor, who in turn sends complete step-by-step directions to customers’ vehicles through their OnStar system. Audio directions are then automatically piped through the vehicle’s stereo as they are needed, allowing drivers to keep their hands on the wheel and eyes on the road.

The service debuts in March on the 2006 Cadillac DTS and Buick Lucerne, and on the Cadillac STS in the second quarter as part of the standard OnStar package. It will be available in about 1 million GM cars and trucks in the 2007 model year, and will be expanded further within the portfolio in 2008. Turn-by-Turn is the highlight of OnStar’s latest generation of in-vehicle hardware, its seventh in just 10 years.

GM introduced the first OnStar-equipped vehicle at the Chicago Auto Show 10 years ago.

“The key to our progress and growth has been to focus on services that matter to customers, not just early adopters, and to make them easy to understand and use,” said Chet Huber, president of OnStar. “With OnStar Turn-by-Turn Navigation, we’re demystifying navigation technology to bring safe, simple GPS-based routing to the mass market at a fraction of the cost of other competitive alternatives.”

Link: http://media.gm.com/servlet/GatewayServlet...n=2&docid=22875

Still no power window for the midgate, huh?

Well, there's reasons for that, like I've said before. The main one being, if you want to extend the bed space but still have everything closed out to the elements, you keep the window in and sealed against the panels, and just drop the lower Midgate.

For a lot of people, a power down window would probably be more convenient, but it would loose that functionality. And having owned a first year '02, I can say that it's such a well thought-out, well engineered system, we were always happy with just popping the window out and being on the way. Takes a few more seconds and you can't do it while driving, but still very easy and keeps costs down, I would think.

The H2 SUT has a power window back there, I would think, because it has so little space to begin with, no one could care less about having max space closed to the elements.

I like it... Looks good. Best GMT900 yet, followed closely by the Suburban and then Tahoe. Who would have guessed it? :P

Well, I wouldn't exactly say that (not sure why...but I like the SUV's overall shape a little more), but it is a very nice looking truck. And, suprisingly, 100% identical to the unmasked silver one in a "spy" pic about 1-2 years ago.

Too bad it had to loose so much of it's "aggression", because whether or not you liked it that way, it was actually a great image for the truck's use. Just looked so darn cool, cladding and all.

But, I do understand having to do what the majority of the market seems to want...even if that is bland and a bit flat. There was a mention before that GM may offer a bolder molding/flare package later to give something to those who really miss the cladding, but I wonder if that's still on?

Edited by caddycruiser

^^no thats the dash from the official pics of the 07 Tahoe when it came out.

http://autodeadline.com/detail?source=Chev...028789&mime=JPG

Posted Image

Regardless if it has the same interior as the Tahoe or not, the pic is not taken from the new Avalanche.

Edited by Ur_pimp

This new Chevrolet truck face is distinctive, classy, and a huge success. I've seen three Tahoes on the road, and they stand out against the backdrop. The Avalanche will be a very successful vehicle this year, as long as gas prices can sustain at or around thier current level.

Posted Image

Regardless if the pic was not taken from the new Avalanche, it has the same interior as the Tahoe.

Yes, that IS the Avalanche pictured there specifically...i.e., note the ORANGE paint showing on the hood :AH-HA_wink:

Identical to the Tahoe/Suburban through and through, just as expected.

Posted Image

^^o yea, that picture shows it has the same interior as the Tahoe, but the first 1 I mentioned was actually not an official pic of the ave...

Posted Image

That pic if really good of the new ave :]

Posted Image

IMO, that steering wheel looks odd with it the side parts surrounding the cruise/radio controls being black and the rest of the steering wheel tan. I definately perfer the two tone interiors over the single tan dash, but I think it could look a bit better if those black pieces were tan.

IMO, that steering wheel looks odd with it the side parts surrounding the cruise/radio controls being black and the rest of the steering wheel tan. I definately perfer the two tone interiors over the single tan dash, but I think it could look a bit better if those black pieces were tan.

I agree, and it definately sticks out on the gray/black interior option. They only make it that way with the "Titanium" interior, but it still looks weird--should just be solid gray.