Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Buick Velite

buickguy

"No Harley, we cant do something like this over at Buick." "What would become of our poor little puppy satanurine ? " "They would be starved for product" "and after all Buick is the concept division where we show what GM could be so people buy into what GM isnt" Gonna be hard to kill off Buick if we give them something sexy and some personal character. New slogan "Buick, We're changing our image from Grandpa to middle aged Bitch cars - would'nt you really rather drive a Buick.............Bitch?" Edited by razoredge

OK being more serious.......... Do you realize this car could be on the CTS chassis and to market by 2007, had they got right after the body panels and other appointments at the time of conception ? It could be at 30-34000 $ with 2.8 and 3.6 options as well as a 2dr hardtop with useable rear seat, utilizing a type of flat roof w/fastback boattail. A Velite X around 40 with a single intercooled turbo 3.6. For those that want a little more. Na ! Why bother

well razor that's what I've been saying all along. There IS a business case for this car if it starrted around the prices you listed, maybe even as low as 27k, with the 3.2 engine standard, but with at least 240 hp standard. This is a Buick, it should be powerful, and refined, and sexy, and mysterious.....all of which this car embodies so well. I agree with Harley, this car is simply too beautiful not to produce.

turbo200, you mentioned 'mysterious'....that is something that has been missing for so long in GM and many car makers....it's an intangible thing, but one know's it when one see's it. The Velite has that extra something. And this is Buick's concept!!!! I just want to shake Buick management..wake up!...beautiful, sexy cars is what Buick has been about for many of it's years with a hint of mystery here and there. Stop meeting the competition where they are....become authentic Buick...customers will come in healthy numbers. If Buick built the Velite and followed up with cars with that design sensibility, Buick would again be back to being authentically Buick.

With CTS starting over 30 I dont think they could sell a convertable for less. maybe a 2dr hardtop with 2.8 no sun roof, and not much in special options. They could put it up cheaper with the 3.8 but I didnt want to go there and get all the crying going. Same with no ABS and all the stupid airbags but that also would get all kinds of teary eyes. I could see a bare bones 3.8 powered 2dr. hardtop selling at 26,000.... But...This would have a negitive effect on the snobby noses though and they would not want to buy a car all us redneck trailer parking mullet heads could buy a version of cheaper. =}:-0 Buick needs some flash, its that simple. A reface on that Lacrosse bumper cover & header panel would go along ways too.

Man, if they just worked the Velite grille into the LaCrosse, I could guarantee, it'd look SO much better and it might even capture peoples' attention on the road long enough to make them want to go to a showroom.

Yea the Ovals got to go. Plus the wasted air in the facia creating the huge overhang, then once its shorter they can apply a lower leading edge to the bumper(air dam)

[post="6765"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Yes, and by creating a slightly smaller overhang, you will have a slightly smaller car... say maybe 196 inches? Then, they could beef up the Lucerne in a few years, make it like 205-206" long, and then throw in a flagship that is around 200".

Then I'd be happy :)

Razor and Paulie, I completely agree. They need to 'Velite' all the current Buick's details until they can get some sexy new bodies on them. Change the LaCrosse headlights and grill and Lucerne has a nice grill....just chrome it. The LaCrosse and Lucerne don't look like they come from the same company.

If only we could hear the morons inside GM debating whether or not to build a production Velite... Why even build a concept like this, hear all the positive feedback and NOT build one? That's how the Solstice story went: great concept, tons of positive feedback, production (with 10,000+ units sold before it hit dealer lots). I have a question for you guys. Using GM's excuses of "not having the right platform" and "the platform costs too much" to knock down any business case for the car, would you still be this interested and hyped up if the production Velite was FWD?

No ! THe CTS chassis is just sitting there waiting for more to be done with it. That was my point. If the CTS can be produced for 30 + so could a reshelled chassis made to put Buick back on the map. It doesnt have to be a "rebadge" but a reshelled, reappointed chassis. Cripes Caddy wasnt making much money either and the Caddy investment probably also came from money that was made by BOP & Chev back in the 70's & 80's & 90's Share money, share chassis that how a pack works. GM is letting all its divisions cut each other up in so many ways. What makes these egg heads think they need to design a new chassis before they can get the ball rolling. What a bunch of balkers. Just do it !

I think FWD would ruin the premium aura for me. jmo....FWD is not exclusive like RWD and AWD are, and I wouldn't want it to be FWD-biased AWD either because I care about the balance and dynamics of the car. It has to be RWD in my book...

Alright... how about this: What I said before about having a 200" sedan... that could be zeta since it's apparently back. Then, we'll keep the Lucerne big, 205-206" and FWD... that can take over for the older crowd who currently buy the Deville. The DTS can get a younger crowd when it's redesigned. The roadster/coupe/convert. thing, along with the Zeta flagship, a revised LaCrosse and reinvented Rendezvous (Centieme?), will keep the crowds young.

This car could restore Buick back to the status it once enjoyed. Besides, a premium make should have a convertible. I agree that the CTS chassis could be used on this car, also. Especially being that the car will look completely different anyway. They should build it, but probably won't. Edited by nightcourtrules

I like Heintz's quick-made hardtop Velite and I think it would sell well... but the wait is getting a bit ridiculous.

First things first- I saw this car in person and theres no way this could go directly into production- first they'd have to cheapen it.

http://www.seriouswheels.com/pics-2004/200...or-1024x768.jpg

That interior is not going to be in a $27k vehicle... nor even a $45k vehicle. I've never seen a concept that looked like this go into production... the Solstice is the closest they've come. But compare the beautiful interior of the Velite to the mediocre interior of the $75k+ XLR and I don't see it happening. Call me crazy but I'm pretty sure I'd rather be sitting in the elegant Velite anyday of the XLR.

http://www.familycar.com/RoadTests/Cadilla...DriversSeat.jpg

The next problem I have with the Velite is by the time everything gets done with it (if it were to go through) it'd be like 2009... at best. 5 years to put a once cutting-edge model on the road it will have people screaming the word 'dated.'

It's a fine looking vehicle but I think Buick should work on the qualities it has and build off of it and create an even more cutting edge Zeta car to be produced in 2009 based off the Velite but more cutting edge and make sure they fit in the simple things- like being cost effective and all the gauges in it and everything so we're not looking at a cheapened, dated, 2009 Velite that is only a shell of what the concept was 5 years prior (see LaCrosse). However I definitely love this car and if they could pull it off quickly, efficiently, and classy (WITH 2 DOORS AND A POWERFUL ENGINE) I'd be happy with it... but if they dare try and cheapen it too much just build another Zeta- better than the Velite (you can do it!) and surprise the world with it... and it better be 2 door and powerful (preferably let a Buick taste 300HP+).

These are things to keep in mind when discussing this vehicle. We're not looking at a nearly finished production model, we're looking at what people are still discussing at the drawing board.

Most posts I have seen that mention the possibility of the Velite talk as if a hardtop would be first. So I tried this, though some say the top is too long and flat. More headroom for rear seat pasengers.

Posted Image

[post="7191"][/post]

Thats it, something like that. It looks great compared to the massive volumn of arched top cars we have today. I wouldnt even mind if they exteneded the rear overhang so they could have a trunk and even longer roof for rear headroom.

"I like Heintz's quick-made hardtop Velite and I think it would sell well... but the wait is getting a bit ridiculous. First things first- I saw this car in person and theres no way this could go directly into production- first they'd have to cheapen it. " I saw it at a show as well. It is a beautiful balance of sportyness and distinguished looking machinery as most of the Buicks of the pre 70's were. Yes, it would need some work to make it production ready (what chassis?) but I would hope they could retain that inherent "classiness" it achieves. Makes an awesome and special distinctly Buick statemant.

"I like Heintz's quick-made hardtop Velite and I think it would sell well... but the wait is getting a bit ridiculous. First things first- I saw this car in person and theres no way this could go directly into production- first they'd have to cheapen it. "
I saw it at a show as well. It is a beautiful balance of sportyness and distinguished looking machinery as most of the Buicks of the pre 70's were. Yes, it would need some work to make it production ready (what chassis?) but I would hope they could retain that inherent "classiness" it achieves.  Makes an awesome and special distinctly Buick statemant.

[post="10827"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I agree... but can they do it? and in a time efficient manner? That's the questions.

A rendering I did a few months back...

Posted Image

[post="11320"][/post]

are you kidding me? when i pictured a coupe in my head i never pictured something that good looking. if that was on the streets buick would for sure have a better image. young people would for sure be thinking i want buick! after seeing something like that

A rendering I did a few months back...

Posted Image

[post="11320"][/post]

OK, It looks great, very sexy and sporty. Its excellent quality too, but from a functional and personal taste standpoint Im going to critize it.

1. Arch top, I can hear all the criticism the G6, GP and every other GM cars has recieved about rear passenger area. Screw that arched top styling trend it has to go, it doesnt work for passenger cars. I cant belive Im making a toyota comparision but - Do the Toyotas have arched top ?

2. things that are just from chopping from other cars, nothing personal, is the horrible thick black B pillor, then a personal taste of mine is, I really am sick of the hockey stick C pillors. Looks too Mustang, 96 Monty Carlo and a varity of other nameless cars. In other words that is not enough thoughtful class for a Buick.

3. Cant have rear overhangs? OK, well then lets not complain about trunk area. This car looks like it would be confined from the drivers seat back.

Great job but it would be a wrong move for Buick to use arch top. They have to flatten out long enough to provide rear passenger area. Save the arches for McDonalds.

It just looks like art. I mean, I LOVE the Velite. When I saw it the first time I said DAMN... this will show 'em all! Ever single part of this vehicle I love... and that's hard for me to say since I can always find something wrong with anything (gotta love pessimism)... but damn, this thing is just gorgeous. The entire front is powerful, yet graceful, bold, yet understated. It's such a great direction for Buick to go... man, if they had this now, it'd be a hit.

• 5 years later...
[img]http://www.carzwallz.com/images/cars/thumbnails/Buick_Velite_Concept_03.jpg[/img]

[size="4"][b]I think the time is right for the Riv and Velite to be built. Velite should be a sister to the Riv. Build Both on the 112 wb EPII, with optional AWD. I would like to see a targa look, with GM europes softop mechanism. Like on the Saab 9x air concept [/b][/size].

[img]http://itwildcats.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/saab-9x-air-141.jpg[/img]

[img]http://cdn-www.rsportscars.com/images/saab/saab-9x-air-e85-hybrid-concept/saab-9x-air-concept-profile-blue-skies_w800.jpg[/img] Edited by Ghost Dog