Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Report: Mazda RX8 denied re-entry into Europe

4 posts in this topic

Report: Mazda RX8 denied re-entry into Europe

by Damon Lavrinc (RSS feed) on Apr 14th 2010 at 2:32PM

Mazda RX-8 R3 - Click above for high-res image gallery

According to the crew at Auto Motor und Sport, the Mazda RX-8 won't be coming back to Europe for the 2011 model year. Why? The rev-rific rotary can't pass the Euro-5 emission standards and a replacement won't arrive until 2013.

Mazda Germany exec, Joseph Alois Schmid, told AMuS that retrofitting the current engine would be too cost prohibitive and the Wankel can't adapt quickly enough to Europe's stringent emission standards.

Although a replacement is in the works – and a hydrogen version could arrive within the next few years – the next rotary mill will have to be significantly reworked to adhere to the new standards. But even a revised rotary could have problems in 2014, when the new Euro 6 emission rules take effect.

link:

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/04/14/report-mazda-rx8-denied-re-entry-into-europe/

What? I thought the US emissions standards were much tougher, and it's on sale here as far as I know...

It's a dated design anyhow...

The Miata and the 3 are the only real things Mazda has going for it...the 5 is kind of ugly IMHO>

What? I thought the US emissions standards were much tougher, and it's on sale here as far as I know...

From what I understand, when it comes to Euro vs US emissions standards you can't really say one is tougher than the other. They're just plain different. They focus on different things, and each is tougher in different areas.