Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

C&G Exclusive: The 2008 Dodge Challenger

Guest Josh

The 2008 Dodge Challenger

Posted Image

How GM Can Compete!

Josh E. Oliver
Cheers & Gears.com Exclusive

C&G has your exclusive information on production plans for the 2008 Dodge Challenger. Sources tell us that the vehicle will begin production NEXT YEAR in 2007 as a 2008 model year vehicle.

The Challenger which made it’s debut at this years NAIAS wowed the crowd and caused for a comparison to the muscle car era of the sixties. Chevrolet also introduced the highly anticipated Chevrolet Camaro concept which is rumored to be slated for production in 2008 as a 2009 model year vehicle.

The Challenger will be produced in Brampton, Ontario along side the Chrysler 300C and Dodge Charger. Chrysler originally wanted a different plant to produce the Challenger, however that plant could not be ready for the 2007 production timeline, thus Brampton was chosen.

The Challenger will be limited in production numbers. Chrysler expects initial sales of 35,000 units annually eventually tapering off at 18,000. Because of that, the Challenger will only be produced for a maximum of five years. It will be powered by the Hemi engine featured in the concept. Pricing is currently unknown.

Stay tuned for staff members opinions on what we think the General could do to compete with the limited production Challenger, and as always, be sure to check out what we feel could be capable competition, our Chevelle series. The Ultimate Concept. PERIOD.

When referencing this story please post a link & do not copy and paste text directly from this thread

who will buy it? i would love to, but it just isn't in my means right now. with no base model, look for the mustang to outsell it 2-1...

and i read in motor trend this month the gto is dead anyhow. truth? rumor? ah-ha?

Edited by thedriver

who will buy it? i would love to, but it just isn't in my means right now. with no base model, look for the mustang to outsell it 2-1...

and i read in motor trend this month the gto is dead anyhow. truth? rumor? ah-ha?

Yeah, well, I'm still a GTO guy. I will own one someday even if I have to settle for the...*sigh*...LS1.

How much capacity does Brampton have? It can't be too much unless they reduce production of the other 3 cars built there.

Honestly, there isn't a ton of market for a $30k+ RWD V8 coupe that doesn't carry a premium nameplate. Even if the GTO had the styling that all the diehards wanted, I don't think sales would have been that much better. Maybe it would have sold 18k units instead of 6k units, but either way the market isn't that big.

If the Challenger really comes in at a plump 4100 lbs, I see no reason to buy one over a Mustang or (by that time) used GTO. And I doubt the interior will be better than the GTOs given what DCX has put out lately.

I give it 2nd-3rd quarter 2007. The concept was basically a Chrysler LX chassis with fiberglass body panels, I mean you could see the whole underpinnigs if you peeked under the car. They've probably been working on the tooling and dies for the last year, and pre-production units could start in a few months.

I really don't care for this car. Like all Dodge's, it's looks like a dumb, bulky unaerodynamic pig. I really hope it's a flop. Plus the interior sucked and 3 of the 4 gauge cluster lights were out on the concept when I saw it but the production will probably get the black ugly radio with the stupid "brushed aluminum" plastic....

If this is released it will just motived me more to throw hot cam in my GTO and tune it eventhough I can probably beat it stock.

Edited by mrfunji

Planning for 35,000 units (which is about right) makes sense. Why plan for 50,000 units and only hit 40,000 or 45,000 units? Why not plan a more reasonable number (which will be capacity constrained in Bramalea) and possibly have a HIT when demand outstrips supply...driving up dealer transaction prices and boosting resale value? Or should they flood the market, forcing dealers to fight for customers, and making residual values fall through the floor?

Yes, 35,000 units sounds good to me.

The Challenger will be produced in Brampton, Ontario along side the Chrysler 300C and Dodge Charger. Chrysler originally wanted a different plant to produce the Challenger, however that plant could not be ready for the 2007 production timeline, thus Brampton was chosen.

Is this saying that the Magnum will no longer be produced??? I doubt that.

Ditto - welcome to last month  :lol:

Yeah..

From allpar.com back in November of 2005 from a DC insider.

E8502 wrote: “They are definitely going to sell more then 10,000 units. I'd guess at least 25,000 for its first year on the market. Speaking of when this bad boy will be released, I hear early March 2007 production (for Fast Feedback cars), on dealer lots by late April (so in all, similar to the Magnum timetable).

One possibility is that the first-year run will be, as many are saying, limited to 10,000 - 15,000 units, all with the 6.1 liter SRT-8 engine; this might be called Challenger SRT-8, though most enthusiasts would prefer the original R/T designation. If the Challenger sold well, and there appeared to be strong demand, and production was flawless - or rapidly fixed - so that the Challenger, Charger, and 300C were all running nicely on the same assembly line, then the second year could see a "base" model with the 5.7 Hemi, whose cylinder deactivation would increase gas mileage; and perhaps a V6 would eventually be seen.

Edited by nikivee

You're talking about information from November, how many times does information change in this business? You're looking at information that is set in stone and solidified, no speculation, no guesswork on what "could" happen.

It's 35,000 units. Produced for 5 years and produced by the Hemi. No two ways around it.

You're talking about information from November, how many times does information change in this business? You're looking at information that is set in stone and solidified, no speculation, no guesswork on what "could" happen.

It's 35,000 units. Produced for 5 years and produced by the Hemi. No two ways around it.

That's right from November. Same story basically. So to me it's not news. So DC contacted you directly and told you in no uncertain terms 35K units for 5 years and that's it?

Edited by nikivee

Let's all just take it for what it is, in a couple of months it'll be confirmed by DCX. Several of the insiders have already chimed in on this and concurred.

I agree that 35k units is a great volume to shoot for, DCX will have demand outstripping supply, and will have yet another success story [by publicly keeping projections low]. I also think this car is kind of dumb too, and the GTO seems to be a better car already. If only GTO looked as cool.

Chrysler isn't going to waste it's time on just 35k units, look for about 50-60k a year.  The 2007 start date is correct, I've heard as early as next April.  Don't be quick to write off Camaro so late.  From the word go, Camaro could be here as early as Spring 2008 if GM fast tracks it. :AH-HA_wink:

It is wonderful to hear you say this ah-ha.

Planning for 35,000 units (which is about right) makes sense. Why plan for 50,000 units and only hit 40,000 or 45,000 units? Why not plan a more reasonable number (which will be capacity constrained in Bramalea) and possibly have a HIT when demand outstrips supply...driving up dealer transaction prices and boosting resale value? Or should they flood the market, forcing dealers to fight for customers, and making residual values fall through the floor?

Yes, 35,000 units sounds good to me.

Exactly. Lowball your initial figures and if you beat them you look great

The Challenger is what the Charger should have been. Personally, I think the Magnum was ugly and I won't be sorry to see it go. If they're prepared to build a large, RWD V8 coupe now, why did they slap the Charger badge on a 4-door? They could've called both the sedan and wagon the Magnum and not dragged the Charger nameplate through the mud.

I love this Challenger concept. I hope they don't change it too much if they decide to produce it. It will need a different interior though. I think the one in the concept is rather ugly but I'm digging the pistol grip shifter.

Any rumors on whether it'll have the 6-speed as in the concept or will they only use the 5-speed the 300 and Charger SRTs get?

the magnum OWNS its market, so I can't going anywhere anytime soon. There isn't another big power wagon out there it competes against.

just like the PT cruiser, the demand for the Challenger will be big the first 2 years, but after everybody who "just has to have one" gets one, the sales will drop off

I don't knoow waht Brampton's actual capacity is at, but from the hours my friend works, and what he's told me, I can't see it be a lot.

the magnum OWNS its market, so I can't going anywhere anytime soon.    There isn't another big power wagon out there it competes against. 

just like the PT cruiser, the demand for the Challenger will be big the first 2 years, but after everybody who "just has to have one" gets one, the sales will drop off

I don't knoow waht Brampton's actual capacity is at, but from the hours my friend works, and what he's told me, I can't see it be a lot.

The PT Cruiser still sells really well. People assume that the sales are really down because they just aren't at the level they started at.

January 2006

COMPACTS - TOP FIVE

(01) TOYOTA COROLLA………………….24,887 (05-24,174)

(02) HONDA CIVIC………………………….24,788 (05-15,874)

(03) CHEVY COBALT……………………….17,513 (05-7,283)

(04) FORD FOCUS…………………………..12,452 (05-12,429)

(05) CHRYSLER PT CRUISER..………..11,406 (05-7,887)

The PT Cruiser is the 5 best selling compact in the US. It's sales are up almost 4000 units compared to last January.

I'm not going to speculate as far as production numbers or prices, or anything else, but if this comes out and the market takes it for a run, GM definitely needs to get off its laurels and make the Camaro ready for production and get them rolling off the assembly lines somewhere and somehow so that there can be some honest competition between them.

I don't get what the excitement is about that car. It looks like a kit car compared to what the Camaro "concept" is. But I agree that GM needs to get on the ball with Camaro and get into production sooner than later, but without F#ckups!

• 2 weeks later...

I don't get what the excitement is about that car. It looks like a kit car compared to what the Camaro "concept" is.

You are exactly right... The Camaro was a concept in both form and function while the Challenger is/was much farther along in the development... Edited by torobud

You are exactly right... The Camero was a concept in both form and function while the Challenger is/was much farther along in the development...

I completely disagree. The Camaro is much much further along than "some" people realize. If you look at the underpinnings on that car they are pretty damn close to production. The only thing not close is the interior, but that will change easily.

I love the Challenger concept, and I happen to like the interior a lot, I hope the production version gets to keep the unique stereo head unit and not be stuck withe the corperate faceplate like all other Dodges, Jeeps and Chryslers. I wonder that, if the Challenger does get a 6-Speed manual, that other SRT LX cars will get it as an option later. I also agree that settings sales objectives at 35k is a wise move, cuz it'll look way better for demand to out do supply than vice versa, I think initially a lot more than 35,000 Challengers will sell, so that would certainly qualify it as a hit. The beauty of the LX cars is that if they need more of one car they can up production of one and cut some production from another as needed, though since all 3 of the current LX cars are selling well that could be a problem.

I for one Love the Magnum's looks (my girlfriend hates it, but too bad for her :P ). I see them all the time, in fact at the college I go too someone just bought a silver one. The SRT-8 is the best looking of the line, which can be said about the SRT versions of the other two cars. I just wish that interior looked nicer...but there's worse out there. I digress though ^^;

I do wonder how Chevy plans to sell the Camaro though, if they'll mainstream it, or do a smaller number like Dodge. Either way, I hope both concepts look the same when they each reach production (Although I think the Camaro's interior, especially the guages, give off too much glare, but it'll change in production version Camaros anyway).

One last thing...for the love of god please stop complaining about how many doors the Charger has!! :banghead: I mean, so what if it's 4-doors, it's looks cool, especially in SRT-8 guise , and it's got the muscle to back up the looks. Wanna coupe? That's what the Challenger is for ^_^

Edited by Dodgefan

I thought so too, but I talked with a friend at Brampton and he said Magnum sales, while strong, have slipped a lot from what they were at the start, and the Charger is starting that slip too. So they should be ok capacity wise.

They should be more worried about tooling though. My friend was surprised when I told him I heard their selection as the production plant. Some their equipment can’t be used for the Challenger because of their size (ie the longer doors), and nothing has been ordered yet because the guys there haven’t even got confirmation of production.

The Dodge Challenger is an awsome pony car remake.

I look forward to both the 340hp and the 425hp versions hitting the streets in 07 or 08...

35 thousand units a year is about right...

Keep em hungry's a good way to go...

Remake?! As long as by "remake" you mean.. find all the original presses used to make the body parts for the car and put in new sheets of metal.. manufacture as a 2007 model.. then yeah, it's a remake.

• 1 year later...

One last thing...for the love of god please stop complaining about how many doors the Charger has!! :banghead: I mean, so what if it's 4-doors, it's looks cool, especially in SRT-8 guise , and it's got the muscle to back up the looks. Wanna coupe? That's what the Challenger is for ^_^

I'm not saying I don't like a 4-door Charger just because it has 4-doors. I'm saying I don't like them trying to style a 4-door Charger like a 2-door. The kickup in front of the rear wheelwells and the shape of the rear roofline look awkward to me. If it had a roofline more like the 300, I'd like the looks more. Personally, I would've loved to see it with 2 longer front doors and 2 shorter suicide rear doors much like the RX-8.

Any idea if a convertible Challenger is being planned or at least considered?

Holy moldy thread, Batman!

Yeah, with such classically ignorant posts such as....

Remake?! As long as by "remake" you mean.. find all the original presses used to make the body parts for the car and put in new sheets of metal.. manufacture as a 2007 model.. then yeah, it's a remake.

LOL

How many people on the internet show their brains in such kind of posts?

:wink:

I don't mind the Challenger, but I won't buy one. I think it will appeal to the younger crowd, the same crowd who probably won't have enough money to BUY one. Makes me wonder......

The Mustang will continue to be the pony car to beat, it's a nice AFFORDABLE car. If the Camaro and Challenger can match the Mustang's prices right from a base model on up they will be hugely successful, but I have a strong feeling that AIN'T gonna happen.