NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Saab chief: GM forced Saab to pay for Cadillac BLS

8 posts in this topic

Saab chief: GM forced Saab to pay for Cadillac BLS

04/15/2010, 6:31 PMBY ANDREW GANZ

Development of General Motors’ failed entry-level Cadillac BLS effort was paid for by Saab, not Cadillac, according to the Swedish automaker’s head. Essentially a rebadged Saab 9-3, the BLS cost Saab more than 1 billion kronor, or about $140 million, to develop for Cadillac.

Saab chief Jan Ake Jonsson told Swedish media that GM’s Cadillac didn’t foot the bill for the BLS – Saab did. Created at GM Vice President Bob Lutz’s insistence, the BLS has been sardonically referred to as the “Bob Lutz Special.” Although it was badged as a Cadillac, the BLS was based heavily on Saab’s 9-3 and was built in the Swedish automaker’s Trollhattan assembly plant. A sedan version was launched first and it was followed up by a 9-3 SportiCombi-based BLS wagon.

Sales languished at less than 10 percent of Cadillac’s target figures and the car hardly helped the Detroit luxury brand make inroads into Europe.

GM has since responded with a unique, more European-focused CTS SportWagon that it hopes will be a sales success overseas

link:

http://www.leftlanenews.com/saab-chief-automaker-paid-for-cadillac-bls-development.html

GM owned SAAB so GM can charge it to SAAB just as they did. It's not a new way of doing business.

Edited by RjION

So in other words, after pumping BILLIONS of dollars into the black hole that SAAB became in the 1990s & 2000s GM N.A. decided to get a portion of a percentage point back?

GIve me a break SAAB, you lost your way in the early 1990s and you've become the conventional sedan you once contradicted with your quirky (but popular) 1970s & 1980s product.

So.. we can cleanly blame the BLS on saab then. Excellent.

Should I break out the thousand tiny violins and play "My Heart Bleeds for You" to Saab? Sheesh why even complain about that.

:violin:

The money had to be sent to the money sucking cancer that the NA operations were. Plain and simple.

Yo, Saab, I'm happy for ya an' Imma letchu finnis', but no one cares.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor