Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Spied at all angles: 2012 Chevrolet Malibu

18 posts in this topic

Spied at all angles: 2012 Chevrolet Malibu

04/15/2010, 4:27 PMBY DREW JOHNSON

After an earlier, fleeting glimpse, our spy photographers have nabbed the best images yet of the upcoming 2012 Chevrolet Malibu. Best of all, the prototype caught testing today was wearing almost no camouflage!

Judging from the latest spy shots, the 2012 Malibu will retain many of the design cues of the current car, although it will be moving to GM’s Epsilon II platform. The front headlights appear to have a jeweled look, not unlike the treatment seen on the 2011 Buick Regal. Chevrolet’s signature cross-bar grille, however, remains front and center.

The rear of the Malibu also appears to be in line for an update, with the taillights receiving a Camaro-like treatment.

It’s been reported that the Malibu will shrink a bit in its next iteration, but the extent of that downsizing remains unknown. The current Malibu rides on a 112.3 inch wheelbase, but it remains to be seen if the Malibu will adopt the Buick LaCrosse’s 111.7 inch wheelbase or the Regal’s shorter 107.8 inch wheelbase, although the former seems more likely. Both the LaCrosse and Regal ride on the Epsilon II platform.

With a 2012 model year designation, expect the new Malibu to bow at the beginning of the next auto show season – in either Los Angeles or Detroit – with an on sale date sometime in 2011.

link:

http://www.leftlanenews.com/chevrolet-malibu-2012.html

I like it. White seems to work well with the taillamps.

A good thing has gotten better. I'm sure that the good powertrain might even be correspondingly refined, since they tend to do that (i.e. Series I, II, III...). If I were to be in the market at the time it is released, I'd buy it.

Damn, except for the lack of interior color variety, cars are indeed getting better.

well, at least its inoffensive. it should blend in to the masses ok. it certainly is not stylish and iconic like the current one.

but, it still doesn't look wide enough. shortening the wheelbase has given it some very old looking proportions now. at least there is some flow to the design, but the doors look tall and narrow in an era where car doors are getting longer and lower. nice big overhangs too.

pleasant and nice, this won't be a game changer because even in this class, styling can sell cars (witness sonata).

this redo won't mean squat either unless chevy brings a 200hp engine and 35 hwy mpg like the sonata.

i was looking at chevy cruze specs the other night as i was curious how they compared to the first epsilon malibu. there is not much difference actually, wb, track, length, interior dims a couple are off by a bit but otherwise its comparable. i want to see the specs for interior and cargo on the cruze vs. this new malibu.

chevy has to be trying to push the malibu upmarket which i find odd when they shrink the wheelbase and the cruze has so much room.

and now i can but a lacrosse, which truly has a cab forward style and new proportions (not a dated proportion like this) plus real rear leg room and cabin width. plus a four cylinder.

or a regal which is way more stylish with probably the same room. plus its german tuned.

hmmmmm..........maybe woulda helped chevy to maybe make this malibu a styling knockout........cruze is a nicer looking car IMO i'd even prefer the buick astra over this.

Edited by regfootball

I dislike the forward rake of this car, and the outward visibility doesn't look very good, but hey, it's not as bad as I thought it'd be.

It's certainly an improvement over its predecessor:

imgChevrolet%20Epica1.jpg

this car screams fleet car the more and more i look at it. especially after looking at those new Kia Optima pics.

Seen FROM ALL ANAGLES: NOTHING AT ALL that would reveal anything.

Seen FROM ALL ANAGLES: NOTHING AT ALL that would reveal anything.

Agreed! These pics don't show any of the interesting bits...like production head and tail lights, and the rear Camaro-ish upkick. Also....interior?!

Good going, Mr. Doane. They appear to have been taken from a good distance. The car looks sportier than the current model, I've been hoping for that, because Ford's competitor has been doing very well since it went in that direction.

These pick do give us a little more to see.

The side is not much more sculpted than the present car.

The trunk lid will suprise at how much higher than the quarter paner will be. Just look at the outer side of the tail light and see how it kicks up a lot. It will be intersting to see how it really looks with no camo.

Speaking of the quarter I see it really blend in with the out part of the tail light. This is the most radiacl change on the car we have seen.

But I agree it is still too soon to make a final opinion. We need to see a little less Camo to see how it all works out.

I like it. the rear looks ALOT better than the current Malibu. Ill probably eiether buy this or the new Regal when I go to replace my 06 Pontiac G6 in a few years. I am buying a new Camaro this summer hopefully. but the camaro will replace my 03 Cavalier. thats just a little upgrade. lol

The trunk lid will suprise at how much higher than the quarter paner will be. Just look at the outer side of the tail light and see how it kicks up a lot. It will be intersting to see how it really looks with no camo.

Like an exaggerated Volvo S80 rear end, perhaps?

I'm getting a vibe that seems more like a replacement for the Impala will this open the door for the Impala to become that retro car that we were hearing about for... like forever now :scratchchin:

I'm getting a vibe that seems more like a replacement for the Impala will this open the door for the Impala to become that retro car that we were hearing about for... like forever now :scratchchin:

Technically speaking, the current Impala is probably the most 'retro' new vehicle on the road. :P

Strange proportions--very long overhangs and it seems to be very tall. Makes the wheels look tiny.

Technically speaking, the current Impala is probably the most 'retro' new vehicle on the road. :P

True...it's like a brand new '95 car..mechanically very much the same as the 2nd gen Lumina from then.

And it continues to sell very strongly. Yes, the W is paleo, but it has been refined to a "t".

I dislike the forward rake of this car, and the outward visibility doesn't look very good, but hey, it's not as bad as I thought it'd be.

It's certainly an improvement over its predecessor:

imgChevrolet%20Epica1.jpg

Puts me in mind of the 2004-06 Chevy Epica as it was sold here too. It had that 2.5L I6 as an engine which was kinda cool but altogether I heard nothing but horror stories about Epica's "epic fail" reliability (less so with the other two of the Korean trio, the Aveo and Optra). Mysterious electrical problems shutting down the car and or various peripherals, speedometers miscalibrated from the factory by as much as 6MPH, Transmission and Engine failures right off the lot with less than 1000mi, stalling, high speed vibration, the works. Easily the worst car GM sold in North America in 30 years. Saw them all the time when they first came out but don't see them at ALL anymore, perhaps part of one made the can that my soup came in today at lunch?

800px-2004-2006_Chevrolet_Epica.JPG

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0