Random automotive question

My current Bonneville. Second would be my wife's old Intrepid. The Bonnie has leather, the Intrepid had cloth.

Interestingly, it was the cushioning, not the upholstery, that made the seats comfortable. The American cars I've driven have been good with that.

Best would be the 300M leather seats I have in my Intrepid now. I believe they are shaped differently than the Intrepid cloth seats were, and the material feels nicer (looks far more upscale too). As I said before, the day I sat in an LHS (which used the same seats as non Special 300M's, was the day I realized I wanted to upgrade from my cloth seats. I still have them, still in great shape, just no use for them (maybe a chair some day).

Second place goes to the cloths eats in the Shadow. They're just really ccomfy seats. Material is nice and soft too.

One the flip side, the worst seats I have ever sat in were the cloth seats in a Colorado. My back hurt after a few minutes in that thing.

My Jetta. The shape, the bolstering, and the cushioning were all pretty fantastic.

The worst was absolutely my Cutlass' buckets.

Ding, ding, ding...we have a winner...

Best would be the 300M leather seats I have in my Intrepid now. I believe they are shaped differently than the Intrepid cloth seats were, and the material feels nicer (looks far more upscale too). As I said before, the day I sat in an LHS (which used the same seats as non Special 300M's, was the day I realized I wanted to upgrade from my cloth seats. I still have them, still in great shape, just no use for them (maybe a chair some day).

Second place goes to the cloths eats in the Shadow. They're just really ccomfy seats. Material is nice and soft too.

One the flip side, the worst seats I have ever sat in were the cloth seats in a Colorado. My back hurt after a few minutes in that thing.

My Concorde was a comfortable car, but not quite as comfortable as Jetta.

Of all cars you have owned (or driven regularly), which had the most comfortable seats?

What type of seats were they?

getting old are we?

I resemble that remark...the older I get the less I think about sports type cars and the more I think about comfortable cars. Getting close to turning 45 (I do so in September) has changed my outlook.

But BV has it right with the Jetta idea...although the GTI seats are fantastic also IMHO.

Chris

getting old are we?

I resemble that remark...the older I get the less I think about sports type cars and the more I think about comfortable cars. Getting close to turning 45 (I do so in September) has changed my outlook.

But BV has it right with the Jetta idea...although the GTI seats are fantastic also IMHO.

Chris

I may be getting old, but that has nothing to do with the question. For me, a seat that isn't comfortable is worthless - no matter what it looks like.

The best seats I ever had in a vehicle were the cloth buckets in my 1990 Silverado. They were the ones with the large ribs that ran top to bottom on the setback and cushion. Sitting in them after a long day of landscaping was near-orgasmic. They caught the small of my back perfectly, and instantly soothed any pain I had. No other seat has ever measured up in any of the many vehicles I've owned.

Here is that interior:

post-394-12714319873371.jpg

My favorites are still probably the buckets in my '87 Mustang GT. Reasonably adjustable, pull out under knee support, big side bolsters, inflatable back rest and seat area, very comfortable tweedy cloth fabric. Very comfortable on long drives and on the twisties. I found the seat comfort, ergonomics and seating position in that car even preferable to my M3.

My Jeep seats are reasonably comfortable also, good for 10 hr drives, but my sholders get sore after a while, maybe partially due to the short backrest.

As far as things I have drove: The Recaro air seat in the buses I used to drive was the best seat ever. Nothing is more awesome than an air seat.

I didn't drive it, but I rode it in all the time. 85 Cadillac Seville seats. Except when it was hot. Black leather burns! 2nd place- 1996 STS Seats.

The best seats I ever had in a vehicle were the cloth buckets in my 1990 Silverado. They were the ones with the large ribs that ran top to bottom on the setback and cushion. Sitting in them after a long day of landscaping was near-orgasmic. They caught the small of my back perfectly, and instantly soothed any pain I had. No other seat has ever measured up in any of the many vehicles I've owned.

Hey, my dad had the '88, but it had the bench seat. That was my DD when I first got my license.

The bench was comfy too. We took the truck on a trip to Massanutten and had no problems with comfort.

Hey, my dad had the '88, but it had the bench seat. That was my DD when I first got my license.

The bench was comfy too. We took the truck on a trip to Massanutten and had no problems with comfort.

As I recall, there were two grades of cloth seat back then. I think you had to order the "Custom Cloth" to get the comfy seats.

The "ROPOS" is an '89, but it has a much flatter cushion and fabric like burlap - not the same at all.

I think the drivers seat in my 04 Grand Prix are the most comfortable car seat I've ever experienced..... They aren't too stiff and they have great bolstering. I also love that I can adjust the lumber, not just in and out, but up and down too! I tend to like my lumbar a lot lower on my back then most people. I can drive from NJ to Ohio (7.5-9 hours depending on how many times I stop), and am comfortable the whole way!! My seats are leather, which I could take or leave, after all, it is a very cheap plasticy leather. The thing I like about the leather, I have never had a build up of static electric in the winter. In a car with cloth seats, I shock myself EVERY time I get out, and have NEVER been shocked by my car in the 3 years I've owned it!

As much as I loved my 1968 Camaro the aluminum race seat that I outsourced from a retired Porsche race car was about as comfortable as I imagine a Mig-21's cockpit to be... but then again the 5-point harness & 377 horsepower kind of made the lightly padded torture device seem a logical choice.

But I digress...

The most confortable seat of any car I've ever owned? I'll have to call that a toss-up between my 1997 Cadillac Seville STS & my cerrent daily driver: the 1984 Mercedes Benz 500-SEC. Although the adjustment of my Euro-Spec. Grey Market Import Mercedes W126's is not quite as intuitive or quick to adjust to perfection as the Cadillac's seat was.

That being said, as much as I love Land Yachts not all big 1960s & 1970s Cadillacs' bench seats are ultra-comfortable for LONG ROADTRIPS... as far as comfort across nasty, bumpy roads or taking a nap in the car when it's stationary the 1977 Cadillac CdV "Banana Boat" was one of the best.

They're pretty good, but IMO the LHS/300M's are better.

I would agree with you there sir...

As much as I loved my 1968 Camaro the aluminum race seat that I outsourced from a retired Porsche race car was about as comfortable as I imagine a Mig-21's cockpit to be... but then again the 5-point harness & 377 horsepower kind of made the lightly padded torture device seem a logical choice.

But I digress...

The most confortable seat of any car I've ever owned? I'll have to call that a toss-up between my 1997 Cadillac Seville STS & my cerrent daily driver: the 1984 Mercedes Benz 500-SEC. Although the adjustment of my Euro-Spec. Grey Market Import Mercedes W126's is not quite as intuitive or quick to adjust to perfection as the Cadillac's seat was.

That being said, as much as I love Land Yachts not all big 1960s & 1970s Cadillacs' bench seats are ultra-comfortable for LONG ROADTRIPS... as far as comfort across nasty, bumpy roads or taking a nap in the car when it's stationary the 1977 Cadillac CdV "Banana Boat" was one of the best.

Bench seats in cars have several other uses...even if its only so "she" can slide over close to you...

Still remember going on dates in my Cutlass with girls slid over next to me...as Camino said...near orgasmic...

The worst I can think of that I've sat in lately would be my dad's Lesabre. Just awful. The seats in the Prius were fine for the first hour or so, but weren't great for driving for long periods of time. I have no idea how my wife drove it from here to Baltimore and back without visiting a chiropractor afterwards. I have no complaints about comfort in either the Cooper or the Jetta, which I guess is all you can really ask of a car.

Speaking of Camino's old Chevy truck, I miss that really thick, soft seat upholstery material GM used to use, as in his Silvy. Nowadays, the cloth they use is not soft to the touch, nor does it feel thick. It is a bit like a metal file in texture.

I guess the best seats I've had in a vehicle were the heated leather ones in my '00 GTI 1.8t... but honestly, I've been comfortable in all of my vehicles. It is unfamiliar ones that don't fit my ass or my back that give me trouble.

Speaking of Camino's old Chevy truck, I miss that really thick, soft seat upholstery material GM used to use, as in his Silvy. Nowadays, the cloth they use is not soft to the touch, nor does it feel thick. It is a bit like a metal file in texture.

I guess the best seats I've had in a vehicle were the heated leather ones in my '00 GTI 1.8t... but honestly, I've been comfortable in all of my vehicles. It is unfamiliar ones that don't fit my ass or my back that give me trouble.

I really hate the new cloth Chevy and Pontiac use on their cars- like in our Malibu and Cobalt. It's like rodent fur... Pretty much the only way you avoid it in GM cars is to get a Lucerne or Impala.

vonVee, you're right, the Lucerne and Impala still use that nice, thick, soft cloth material.

Although, after viewing reg's link to the M/T gallery photo of the Cruze Echo Eco's gray cloth interior, it appears at least the center section of that car's seats doesn't use that cheap looking upholstery.

Edited by ocnblu

vonVee, you're right, the Lucerne and Impala still use that nice, thick, soft cloth material.

Although, after viewing reg's link to the M/T gallery photo of the Cruze Echo Eco's gray cloth interior, it appears at least the center section of that car's seats doesn't use that cheap looking upholstery.

The Cruze, as I can see uses that same cloth material and pattern that the Equinox and Terrain use.

That video just told me something horrible. The back seat does NOT fold down? How is GM going to get ppl out of their SUVs and into a car, when it has such an impractical feature as a FIXED rear seatback? I think the Impreza sedan also lacks a folding rear seatback... LAME. Even a Camaro and Challenger have folding rear seats, for crying out loud.

That video just told me something horrible. The back seat does NOT fold down? How is GM going to get ppl out of their SUVs and into a car, when it has such an impractical feature as a FIXED rear seatback? I think the Impreza sedan also lacks a folding rear seatback... LAME. Even a Camaro and Challenger have folding rear seats, for crying out loud.

That video is from 2009 Detroit autoshow before the full NA spec features were revealed. The one we're going to get will have a standard folding seat, and they also got the trunk size wrong... it's close to 15 cubic feet rather than 13 as they said

33-la-2011-chevy-cruze.jpg

Edited by vonVeezelsnider

Bingo on the nice cloth in the Impala...