NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Unmasked: 2013 Buick Excelle

26 posts in this topic

Unmasked: 2013 Buick Excelle

04/15/2010, 5:48 PMBY DREW JOHNSON

Buick first teased its upcoming Excelle sedan at the 2009 Los Angeles Motor Show, but the premium compact has been fully revealed via a new set of spy pictures. The Buick Excelle sedan is expected to make its official debut later this month at the Beijing auto show.

Slotting beneath the Regal in Buick’s lineup, the new compact sedan will be based on General Motor’s Delta II architecture, the very same that will underpin the Chevrolet Cruze and Volt. From the spy photos we can clearly see the new model will sport the signature Buick waterfall grille, expressive headlights inspired by the Regal and hood-mounted portholes.

Although the Excelle is very similar to the Excelle XT hatchback recently unveiled in China, the true roots go back to the Opel Astra – of which it shares its platform and design.

As with any new model riding on GM’s Delta II platform, expect a range of fuel efficient powertrain offerings, including the 1.4-liter turbo-charged engine with 140 horsepower, and possibly a high-end 1.6-liter turbo-charged four-cylinder with 180 hp.

A diesel engine option is said to be in the mix, but don’t expect that to ever come stateside. Given that the Excelle will ride on the same platform as the Volt, there is also a possibility that the Volt’s powertrain could make its way into the Excelle. The new Buick model will likely offer six-speed automatic and manual gearboxes.

Look for the new Buick model to be produced at GM’s Lordstown, Ohio facility. GM’s Lordstown plant will begin production of the Cruze in June 2010, with the Buick sedan likely to follow about 12 to 18 months later. The compact Buick sedan should hit dealers by early 2012 with a price tag at or below the $20,000 mark.

link:

http://www.leftlanenews.com/buick-excelle.html

Needs a sweepspear and that front quarter window is an odd design touch I'm not feeling. But overall seems to be a decent package, just not the direction I think Buick should be taking.

Needs a sweepspear and that front quarter window is an odd design touch I'm not feeling. But overall seems to be a decent package, just not the direction I think Buick should be taking.

The front quarter window looked odd to me but I notice Honda and other are using it to.

If it was not there people would scream about the thick roof pillars.

I wish Buick was going in more a VW CC direction.

Unacceptable how damn long this is taking. 2012? This is bullsh-t. No wonder GM gets it's lunch eaten

Unacceptable how damn long this is taking. 2012? This is bullsh-t. No wonder GM gets it's lunch eaten

+1. Its so ridiculous! What a joke.

Agreed. It's a long wait for a car that isn't a game changer. It's odd how that Buick is now the brand to take on a mainstream global Ford (Focus), with Chevrolet pushed down to fulfill the "value-oriented" market. I guess that's one of the unexpected consequences of merging Chevrolet cars with GM-DAT. But perhaps this will allow Buick to grow in size.

According to C&G it was fine for the Camaro (a car based on an existing foreign platform) to take eight years to hit showrooms and its fine for the Cruze (a car based on an existing foreign platform) to take forever, and be hit with a long delay in NA sales, so why isn't it ok for the Excelle?

Meh from what I've seen so far the sedan brings nothing new or interesting to the table vs a Cruze or other compacts (oops I guess ventiports) so I guess I shouldn't care either way.

I am hoping they use another name on it in the usa.. the Excelle name is way too close to that of the discontinued Hyundai Excel. And if the car is already designed then why does it take a year to come out? this car should start production no later than october. good to see its going to built in Lordstown though. I grew up in that area. I worked at GM Lordstown as a contract employee in 2002 and 2003.

I am hoping they use another name on it in the usa.. the Excelle name is way too close to that of the discontinued Hyundai Excel. And if the car is already designed then why does it take a year to come out? this car should start production no later than october. good to see its going to built in Lordstown though. I grew up in that area. I worked at GM Lordstown as a contract employee in 2002 and 2003.

Well, the Regal is coming out this year..they probably don't want another new Buick coming too soon afterward that would compete for attention. And the Cruze is coming out, Chevy probably wants exclusivity for a while before the Buick compact comes out...

I like the idea, the execution is lacking. FWD proportions do NOT help.

Better be sooner than that...

With this car if it did not even come out would not matter. I just get a vibe this car is not going to set the world on fire.

I would rather see a smaller SUV/crossover first or a larger sedan.

Buick desperately needs a rakish fastback 2-door coupe/hatchback or hardtop convertible to join the rather sleepy sedan and give it some verve.

I'd love to see a chop.

Edited by ocnblu

Buick desperately needs a rakish fastback 2-door coupe/hatchback or hardtop convertible to join the rather sleepy sedan and give it some verve.

I'd love to see a chop.

Buick needs the 2+2 Concept they showed last year on the new Alpha platform.

Is the tri color tri shield a China only thing or is Buick NA reintroducing it?

With this car if it did not even come out would not matter. I just get a vibe this car is not going to set the world on fire.

I would rather see a smaller SUV/crossover first or a larger sedan.

With gas prices, and if Toyota keeps on taking the hits, you might be surprised.

GM needs to fun some fun with this. Add a bit of spice. Price it only a notch above the Cruze. (value priced to get people into the buick family)

Could be a sleep hit (though I don't think it will be huge, but every little bit helps)

It must offer appreciably more to the US customer than the Cruze. To me, the Chinese interior shots don't look any nicer than Cruze. But I trust there will be some upgrading going on for the US version.

It must offer appreciably more to the US customer than the Cruze. To me, the Chinese interior shots don't look any nicer than Cruze. But I trust there will be some upgrading going on for the US version.

Agreed.

The key with this compact is to still keep it affordable.

If the Cruze starts at 16, then Exelle could start at 18....and offering even more standard features than the Chevy....

really it's just a more austere and less typical interior design. It will truly depend on the level of finish and plastics and leathers. If you scour the web and places like km77.com or other high res sites.

i think the cruze interior is more mainstream. the excelle has more interesting door panels and such. more flowing lines. With Buick, the key is you think they will offer more standard equipment and other comfort and convenience options.

Agreed.

The key with this compact is to still keep it affordable.

If the Cruze starts at 16, then Exelle could start at 18....and offering even more standard features than the Chevy....

The Excelle will probably start at 20,995 is my guess......or 19,995..

Buick is doing away with trim levels by 2012. Excelle may end up being pricier than around $20k.

Seeing as the Regal is starting at 27000, I would expect the Excelle to start at at least 21000.

It honestly depends on GM's pricing strategy- do they want to price it cheaper to (as Dave said) entice younger buyers to the Buick family so that next time around they'll buy a Regal or LaCrosse- or do they want to use some sort of skimming strategy, start the pricing around 22-23 and really hit up the premium aspect of the car.

In Canada, Acura has a re-badged Civic called the CSX and it starts at 27500$ (!) of course since cars are cheaper in the US over Canada by approximately 4000$ so that's probably more like 23500 in the US market

*The US Dollar is at Parity with the Canadian Dollar so you can use the values of the Currencies interchangeably*

Edited by vonVeezelsnider

The Cruze will start around 16 grand. So im guessing this Buick will be more. But im thinking it will start out around 19 grand.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room