Sign in to follow this  
2b2

*F* cancels Mercury MetaOne

Well now that the Freestyle is back on, it would've been just a typical Mercury rebadge.

Hmmmm....Freestyle is mostly lacking because of a tired, boring, unobstrusive, unnoticable, wagon shape and it could use a bigger engine. Other than that, it's a great truck. I think the big problem is the too wagon-esque style of it. Edge will sell a lot better due to its better style, and then Ford has the Fairmont (?) retro minivan replacement. Ford will need something to compete against Lambda...

It wouldn't have been competitive, especially since the Freestyle is very lacking.

Only in style and power, which a Mercury version could address. There's always the XC90 V8, but that's $50K.

Let's be real here.

The concept was a well-dressed Freestyle. The production version would've dropped all the show-car goodies and we would've be left with yet another rebadged Mercury. I won't loose sleep over it.

It wouldn't have been competitive, especially since the Freestyle is very lacking.

in what (besides some engine power) exactly

you drove one?

how specifically is it lacking. i'll assume you've test driven one to be able to speak from experience.

it outhandles virtually every other mid and large crossover. it doesn't weigh 4800-5000 pounds. its got great space in all 3 rows and terribly useful seating and cargo config. its priced well and has a really good awd system.

Edited by regfootball

Hmmmm....Freestyle is mostly lacking because of a tired, boring, unobstrusive, unnoticable, wagon shape and it could use a bigger engine. Other than that, it's a great truck. I think the big problem is the too wagon-esque style of it. Edge will sell a lot better due to its better style, and then Ford has the Fairmont (?) retro minivan replacement. Ford will need something to compete against Lambda...

edge and freestyle are not competing with each other. edge is a murano type sports/urban gen x/yer crossover. the freestyle is a 3 row mom and pop grandma grampa didnt want a subaru kind of cross over.

so is it ok that the freestyle looks like a larger subaru, which has its own devoted following and the market has no complaints there.

Edited by regfootball

in what (besides some engine power) exactly

you drove one?

how specifically is it lacking.  i'll assume you've test driven one to be able to speak from experience.

it outhandles virtually every other mid and large crossover.  it doesn't weigh 4800-5000 pounds.  its got great space in all 3 rows and terribly useful seating and cargo config.  its priced well and has a really good awd system.

Don't be so defensive. I don't even have to drive it to tell you what is so lacking about it: the engine is seriously underpowered, just like the Five Hundred really could use more power. The styling: The exterior is sooooooooooooo boring. Like an Explorer, but even more staid. The interior baffles me, as it is based on the Five Hundred yet has a much worse interior.

Between the Exterior and Interior styling, I would never even consider it. Judging by the sales numbers, neither will a lot of people.

it outhandles virtually every other mid and large crossover.  it doesn't weigh 4800-5000 pounds.  its got great space in all 3 rows and terribly useful seating and cargo config.  its priced well and has a really good awd system.

I agree. For the money, the Freestyle is the only crossover I would consider. I much prefer it to the overweight Edge, except for the engine. It's the perfect family vehicle for those who don't want a minivan.

Don't be so defensive.  I don't even have to drive it to tell you what is so lacking about it: the engine is seriously underpowered, just like the Five Hundred really could use more power.  The styling: The exterior is sooooooooooooo boring.  Like an Explorer, but even more staid.  The interior baffles me, as it is based on the Five Hundred yet has a much worse interior.

Between the Exterior and Interior styling, I would never even consider it.  Judging by the sales numbers, neither will a lot of people.

Croc, you need to get with the program and start using facts. The Freestyle sold over 77,000 units last year compared to the HHR's 41,000. Using your logic (or lack thereof) one could say that the HHR is a horrible failure and sucks really, really bad.

In regards to the Freestyle, YOU think its underpowered and boring. The Freestyle is conserative in design but the engine is not the gutless wonder you make it up to be. It has more horsepower (203) then then any of the non turbo Subarus (173), more then the Equinox (185), and the HHR (143/172). Sounds like a lot of "underpowered" junk that needs to be canned.

Finally, your remarks in just about any new car/truck tread that "Why is ______ pawning refreshes off as all new?" are really old. The Navigator/Expedition are now on a version of the F150 platform and is all new compared to the old models, the spy shot of the Escape has been deteremined to be on a new platform too.

In closing, Croc learn what facts are, how to use them, and grow up!

To everyone else, the above is no way a slam on the cars mentioned, just an example to show Croc's ignorance and abundant willingness to open his mouth.

Croc, you need to get with the program and start using facts.  The Freestyle sold over 77,000 units last year compared to the HHR's 41,000.  Using your logic (or lack thereof) one could say that the HHR is a horrible failure and sucks really, really bad.

Freestyle does not compete with the HHR. Freestyle sales have been well below expectations. Try again.

In regards to the Freestyle, YOU think its underpowered and boring.  The Freestyle is conserative in design but the engine is not the gutless wonder you make it up to be.  It has more horsepower (203) then then any of the non turbo Subarus (173), more then the Equinox (185), and the HHR (143/172).  Sounds like a lot of "underpowered" junk that needs to be canned.

The ratio is weight-to-horsepower. Freestyle does not compete with Equinox or any of the Subarus except possibly the B9 Tribeca, and the Tribeca has more power than the Freestyle. The Freestyle is a large tall wagon based upon the fullsized Five Hundred sedan. You need to get your facts straight.

Finally, your remarks in just about any new car/truck tread that "Why is ______ pawning refreshes off as all new?" are really old.  The Navigator/Expedition are now on a version of the F150 platform and is all new compared to the old models, the spy shot of the Escape has been deteremined to be on a new platform too.

I have never made this comment. Those were other posters, not I. Again, you need to check your facts before you post your tirades against users.

In closing, Croc learn what facts are, how to use them, and grow up!

I seem to have a better grasp on the facts than you do, and as far as growing up, well anyone can compare the tone of your post and this one. I wonder who sounds more childish and immature? I certainly did not use personal attacks against you...

To everyone else, the above is no way a slam on the cars mentioned, just an example to show Croc's ignorance and abundant willingness to open his mouth.

I think you have me confused with another member.

Freestyle does not compete with the HHR.  Freestyle sales have been well below expectations.  Try again. 

The ratio is weight-to-horsepower.  Freestyle does not compete with Equinox or any of the Subarus except possibly the B9 Tribeca, and the Tribeca has more power than the Freestyle.  The Freestyle is a large tall wagon based upon the fullsized Five Hundred sedan.  You need to get your facts straight.

I have never made this comment.  Those were other posters, not I.  Again, you need to check your facts before you post your tirades against users.

I seem to have a better grasp on the facts than you do, and as far as growing up, well anyone can compare the tone of your post and this one.  I wonder who sounds more childish and immature?  I certainly did not use personal attacks against you...

I think you have me confused with another member.

The Freestyle out accelerates the Tribeca (see C/D) and most other large utility vehicles like the Odyssey (see AW) Pilot Pacifica and such. if you look at the curb weight of the Freestyle vs. any other large 3 row crossovers you will see the weight is quite low. to top it off, the FS will consisently get at least 20mpg in town and close to 30 mpg on the highway as opposed to Pilot owners who might see 15 mpg occasionally. The x5 3.0 is only as fast and Porsche Cayenne v6 is close to a whole second behind. the nissan Murano is maybe the only crossover of larger size that can get out of its own way. The Freestyle even has a quicker time than the Buick Rendezvoux ultra with 3.6 vvt.

LOL, you said the Tribeca has more power than the Freestyle. maybe in numbers but it can't get out of its own way.

The freestyle has better styling than the goofy tribeca (which is probably selling only 20% of what the freestyle sells. Do you know of any other crossover besides maybe the 2 row Murano that might be faster, that is also the same or cheaper priced?

yeah the FS can use more power, can't they all, but its actually more of a segment topper in acceleration times rather than what you suggest. Now, the 3.5 is on its way and will adress that some too.

wanna talk heavy pigs? The magnum AWD wagon is one. Just about any Euro Crossover is one (Tuoaareg, new Q7, new mercedes). The pilot is heavier.

as for styling, i bet subaru wishes they had style the tribeca more like the FS and less like a nightmare. A feminized Explorer for styling may be the way to go. Whenever i have parked my aztek next to a tribeca at the home stores, etc. i just laugh at how ugly it is in comparison to my AZTEK!!!

Edited by regfootball

Freestyle does not compete with the HHR.  Freestyle sales have been well below expectations.  Try again. 

The Five Hundred, Freestyle, & Montego were expected to sell 200K units per year Combined. Based on Jan 2005 sales, they we selling at a rate of 195,840 per year. I do not think Jan is usually the hottest Sales month. "Well below expectations" is a bit of a exaggeration.

The Freestyle out accelerates the Tribeca (see C/D) and most other large utility vehicles like the Odyssey (see AW) Pilot Pacifica and such.  if you look at the curb weight of the Freestyle vs. any other large 3 row crossovers you will see the weight is quite low.  to top it off, the FS will consisently get at least 20mpg in town and close to 30 mpg on the highway as opposed to Pilot owners who might see 15 mpg occasionally.  The x5 3.0 is only as fast and Porsche Cayenne v6 is close to a whole second behind.  the nissan Murano is maybe the only crossover of larger size that can get out of its own way.  The Freestyle even has a quicker time than the Buick Rendezvoux ultra with 3.6 vvt.

LOL, you said the Tribeca has more power than the Freestyle.  maybe in numbers but it can't get out of its own way.

The freestyle has better styling than the goofy tribeca (which is probably selling only 20% of what the freestyle sells.  Do you know of any other crossover besides maybe the 2 row Murano that might be faster, that is also the same or cheaper priced?

yeah the FS can use more power, can't they all, but its actually more of a segment topper in acceleration times rather than what you suggest.  Now, the 3.5 is on its way and will adress that some too.

wanna talk heavy pigs?  The magnum AWD wagon is one.  Just about any Euro Crossover is one (Tuoaareg, new Q7, new mercedes).  The pilot is heavier.

as for styling, i bet subaru wishes they had style the tribeca more like the FS and less like a nightmare.  A feminized Explorer for styling may be the way to go.  Whenever i have parked my aztek next to a tribeca at the home stores, etc. i just laugh at how ugly it is in comparison to my AZTEK!!!

Having driven the Tribeca, it moves pretty well with the V6. I was never wanting for power. I agree that with the 3.5 coming the Freestyle will be just fine. That said, the interior and exterior styling are still the biggest drawbacks to it. Don't get me wrong, Reg, I want to like the Freestyle, but after examining it at LAIAS there's no way I'd go for it. For being on the same platform as the Five Hundred, I would have expected its interior to be on par with that (which is a good, solid interior), not the nasty interior it actually has.

As for your second post, I agree 100% that sales will explode with the 3.5 and reskin. Those are the only two issues with those vehicles. I don't think my posts are still on the site due to the crash, but if they are, you will find I have a very high opinion of the Montego (and thus by association the Five Hundred).

Edited by Croc

The Five Hundred, Freestyle, & Montego were  expected to sell 200K units per year Combined.  Based on Jan 2005 sales, they we selling at a rate of 195,840 per year. I do not think Jan is usually the hottest Sales  month. "Well below expectations" is a bit of a exaggeration.

Projecting annual sales via one month (especially January) is very misleading and inaccurate. Read the Chicago Business article. It clearly states that sales have only been mediocre. I really don't see the need to argue this point any further.

I do not Know now you drove a V8 Tribeca, as it only comes with a 6 Cyl.

Whoops. Ya got me there. For some reason I was thinking about the Volvo XC90 instead, which does offer a V6 and a V8 (likely because I was driving both around the same time).

The Subaru just has the Boxer V6 engine. It still is a great engine, no less fun than the 6-cyl in my ML320.

Post corrected above.

Edited by Croc

Projecting annual sales via one month (especially January) is very misleading and inaccurate.  Read the Chicago Business article.  It clearly states that sales have only been mediocre.  I really don't see the need to argue this point any further.

¥0 do not "see the need to argue this point" because you are wrong. Ford sold 211678 of the three cars last year. 76,739 of those were freestyles. The platform sold 5% above estimates.

¥0 do not "see the need to argue this point" because you are wrong. Ford sold 211678 of the three cars last year.  76,739 of those were freestyles.  The platform sold 5% above estimates.

The platform could have sold 5% above estimates, but we are not talking about the platfrom, we are talking about Freestyles here. I do not see the need to argue the point because not only has it been common knowledge that Ford was hoping for more Freestyle sales (in fact, wasn't there a production cut or revised expectations a few months ago? I'll look into that...), but the article reports that "sales have been mediocre" which equals "below expectations." Obviously sales have disappointed Ford enough that they dropped a Mercury derivative that had been planned from the start. Low sales are also what have fueled the old rumors that Ford would drop the Freestyle in 2007 and just leave the Mercury version (which would have almost certainly addressed the Freestyle shortcomings).

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We  Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook