2001 Dodge Dakota

Just quickly scanning Craigslist and eBay, it looks like for that same money you can get a decent F-150 or Silverado of the same vintage.

I'm looking around the site, and they have an '04 L300 listed at $7995. Yeah, that place runs prices up like crazy.

Drew, are you a mind reader? Because I've been looking into Dodge Dakotas lately, as well. I see so many of that style on the road. They're stout trucks, not too small, not too big. Just about right. That blue one looks great.

Well, just because that's the price on the windshield doesn't mean that's what I'll end up paying.

what I'm getting at though is: Are there any gremlins or things I should watch out for on these?

There is also a super clean 2007 Ranger 4x4 5-speed extended cab on the lot, but not priced yet.

I'd be partial to the Ranger, but I'm the only one on the site here who would...nice truck that Dakota is...but like Satty said, at least a couple grand over priced...$4500 would be utter top dollar and then some as far as I am concerned...

GLAD to see that your looking at manual shift trucks, really do prefer them...

And also glad to see that your doing the cash thing. Think I will do that as well...one of the guys who does heating and cooling work her in Columbus just bought an HHR for his seventeen year old daughter to drive to school...42K, 2007, 2LT, red, and he paid like $7500 for it...and it's effin clean.

Good luck dude...

Only gremlins I've heard of are tranny issues, but thats only with the autotrajics as far as I know.

Now THIS is more like it. Other than exterior color, that is exactly the truck my dad has.

Much too sporty with those corrugated aluminum running boards. The stripes are megaorgasmic as well. And look at those tires, you'd be "going commando" in no time with that truck.:)

Now THIS is more like it. Other than exterior color, that is exactly the truck my dad has.

I like that about eleven billion times better than the Dakota. The Dakota isn't a bad truck...but that full sized Ford is just sweet!

...oh...and don't expect much fuel economy with the Ford 300 inline six. About 13-14 mpg...but the thing will make torque...and run forever...I've seen a bunch of them go past 300K without a rebuild.

Pulled LOTS of trailers with the Ford 300 six in a truck like htat...the inline six....I think that's what was in Balthazar's truck before it got CFC'd.

Much too sporty with those corrugated aluminum running boards. The stripes are megaorgasmic as well. And look at those tires, you'd be "going commando" in no time with that truck.:)

Megaorgasmic...what is this...the 1970's?

Sounds kind of cool, actually...

Ocn, I don't know if any of what you said is good or bad. I like that F-150 because the miles are lower and it has that bullet proof I6 + a manual transmission. My dad just had his first breakdown in his at 200k miles.

The little plastic part of the rotor in the distributor finally gave up the ghost.

...oh...and don't expect much fuel economy with the Ford 300 inline six. About 13-14 mpg...but the thing will make torque...and run forever...I've seen a bunch of them go past 300K without a rebuild.

Pulled LOTS of trailers with the Ford 300 six in a truck like htat...the inline six....I think that's what was in Balthazar's truck before it got CFC'd.

Yeah, my dad complains about the fuel economy in his all the time too..... but it's going to be an apartment work truck for me. If it sees 100 miles a week, that'll be a lot.

I like how you are leaning towards the Ford....

for the same asking price but with 35k less miles, I'd be silly not to.

Of course, none of this happens till I hear some news on Friday

Drew the Auto break real bad also flex-plates all of them are prone to wear out balljoints super fast and have issues with mounting bolts(frt end) IIRC there were recalls on the bolts &S/B on the B/Joints

I'm looking for an EXT 1st gen 5spd with a bad engine for a diesel project(hint ala 10hp Geo)each 1 I find is auto or ROPOS :duck:

Drew the Auto break real bad also flex-plates all of them are prone to wear out balljoints super fast and have issues with mounting bolts(frt end) IIRC there were recalls on the bolts &S/B on the B/Joints

I'm looking for an EXT 1st gen 5spd with a bad engine for a diesel project(hint ala 10hp Geo)each 1 I find is auto or ROPOS :duck:

I assume you mean on the Dakota?

Yeah, unless he were to come down at least $2k in price, I'm leaning towards the Ford.

Considering I'm getting by with a Honda CRV right now, I think I could probably get a Chevy Lumina APV and it'd be a fine work vehicle. I just want something that will last and I don't have to worry about too much so then I can focus on finding myself a Toronado for a daily driver.

That 300 six would be at home in a tugboat, it just chugs along for decades. A real draft mule of an engine. You can't go wrong there. Be sure to check the condition of the fluids after a thorough test drive, though. Check the oil, make sure it doesn't have coolant in it. Check the color and condition of the coolant. Best to do this AFTER that test drive. Some ppl might put fresh oil in, thinking a buyer might check it before a test drive... I'd check it after the engine is good and warm. Justin Case.

I was teasing about the running boards and stripes.

Considering I'm getting by with a Honda CRV right now, I think I could probably get a Chevy Lumina APV and it'd be a fine work vehicle. I just want something that will last and I don't have to worry about too much so then I can focus on finding myself a Toronado for a daily driver.

Like the idea of a Toranado as well...

Thought of you today, Drew. Some guy was getting gas at the station same time as I was...and then the panic alarm went off in his silver CRV, and they couldn't get it shut down...guys was real pissed at his CRV...thought you might find that funny...or not...

That 300 six would be at home in a tugboat, it just chugs along for decades. A real draft mule of an engine. You can't go wrong there.

I see sixties ford Trucks with the inline still working daily in farms around here...other than CFC or run it without fluids...you can't kill that thing.

Like the idea of a Toranado as well...

Thought of you today, Drew. Some guy was getting gas at the station same time as I was...and then the panic alarm went off in his silver CRV, and they couldn't get it shut down...guys was real pissed at his CRV...thought you might find that funny...or not..

As much as I dislike the little critter, I have to admit, it has taken everything we've thrown at it. I just installed a class-3 hitch reciever on it a few weeks ago. Apparently it has a 3,500 tow rating..... I'm wondering what kind of Sake the guy in Japan was drinking when he wrote that in the manual.

and you loved it? hated it? always in the shop? wish you never traded it?

It was bought new, just like all my vehicles except for the Corvair and Impala. I traded it on a '91 S-10. The only issues I remember were... the drip rail weatherstrips kept falling down, and the shifter kept coming unscrewed, totally irrelevant all these years later. Other than that, it took everything I threw at it.

Mmmmmmmm Corvair I had 7 of them as a kid love them got 48-49 mpg out of a 66 110hp powerglide 500

Oh man don't get me started. Mine was a '65 Monza coupe, 110/PG, dark green/fawn. Sweet driving little car. I gave it up because I had no place to keep it out of the weather.:(

I have always liked and would love to own a Dakota Quad cab 4x4 of that vintage. For me it seems like just the right size.

My dad has an '02 exactly like what you're describing with the 5.9L V8. Nice truck and good rear seat room.

Before that, there was the '99 which, for only 92,000 or so miles, was an absolute dog. Typical clear coat issues, faulty HVAC system, and it drank oil (no leaks, though).

Seems like a decent little truck. The 5-speed is a major PLUS.

I'd car-fax it, look it over for rust, oil leaks & such, then if all goes well and you want to buy it, walk in with about $4800 cash I drive it home.

TARP!

I kept it for one winter, backed (mostly) under a lean-to there on the farm, with a tarp over it, but that wasn't good enough for me. I sold it to a young guy in PA (I don't remember where he was from). I hope he took good care of it. It had 91k original miles when I bought it, and all the service records.

Also, another problem with Ford's Twin Beam front suspenion: they occasionaly just COLAPSE when the main pin snaps. I once helped my buddy Sean (the Krazy Korean) repair his friend's F-250's front Twin Beam & it involved a LOT of welding & swearing.