NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Report: Bad Chinese parts force GM to idle Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon plant

12 posts in this topic

Report: Bad Chinese parts force GM to idle Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon plant

by Jonathon Ramsey (RSS feed) on Apr 18th 2010 at 3:03PM

General Motors' Shreveport, Louisiana plant has apparently been hit with another bit of bad news out of China. Shreveport's KSLA TV is reporting that a batch of contaminated microchips from China will halt production at the plant the week of April 19. Not only that, the chip issue is also expected to impair GMC Canyon and Chevy Colorado production in Europe and at the Ramos Arizpal plant in Mexico.

A supplier in North Carolina provides brake control modules for the trucks, and that supplier gets chips for the modules from a supplier in China. It was the North Carolina company that informed GM of the contaminated parts. Even when Hummer had a chance of continuing, Shreveport was headed for closure and "bad asset" status, but this news doesn't help.

link:

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/04/18/report-bad-chinese-parts-force-gm-to-idle-chevy-colorado-gmc-ca/

yup.

Thats what happens when you buy most anything from China .... they'll learn then the prices will go up.

Edited by RjION

Or Japan also, while inspecting parts we found that those from Japan to be the worse with China & Mexico closely following. Those from Japan weren't as often but the furthest out of spec. Then the issue is getting parts within spec. shipped by air till the 3-8 boatloads are inspected while the air freighted parts are inspected also. Months & months and inspection company's love their butter with their bread. No cheating going on just that the OEM's stick to the spec.'s completely to punish suppliers that are in disfavor.

Either way less of these truck sitting around the better. They are not really flying off the lots anyway and need replace in a bad way. Let just hope this does not happen with one of the better selling models.

Either way less of these truck sitting around the better. They are not really flying off the lots anyway and need replace in a bad way. Let just hope this does not happen with one of the better selling models.

+1

Sounds like something was foul at the Super Panda Chinese Buffet.

I've decided I am not going to compromise and settle for less than what I really want in a truck. I am waiting until I've saved enough to put a down payment on an extended cab Z71 4X4 so I can be comfortable with my payments. I've been paying an extra $100 on my Cobalt every month for about 10 months now, which puts me at $366... and I've been using those loan calculators online, I am aiming for a payment of $340-$350/month. I am close to pulling the trigger. *fingers crossed*

I've decided I am not going to compromise and settle for less than what I really want in a truck. I am waiting until I've saved enough to put a down payment on an extended cab Z71 4X4 so I can be comfortable with my payments. I've been paying an extra $100 on my Cobalt every month for about 10 months now, which puts me at $366... and I've been using those loan calculators online, I am aiming for a payment of $340-$350/month. I am close to pulling the trigger. *fingers crossed*

Good luck with your plan and goal!! I know you'll reach it.

Thank you, sir.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead