NewsFeeder

Quick Spin: 2011 Chevrolet Cruze ain't no Cadavelier

41 posts in this topic

Filed under: Budget, Sedan, Chevrolet, GM, Quick Spin

01chevycruzeqs2011opt.jpg
2011 Chevrolet Cruze - Click above for high-res image gallery

Chevrolet's mainstream, high-volume compact car was derisively referred to as the Cadavelier not so many years ago. It was considered one of the most uninspired entries from any automaker in the segment. The Cobalt was a major step forward, but still wasn't near the top of its class. In the words of soon-to-retire General Motors vice-chairman Bob Lutz, the Cobalt was developed under the old philosophy of making cars "good enough."

Under Lutz's tutelage, GM's product development team has shifted to a philosophy of making its products "Best in Class." Transitions like this don't happen overnight, though - especially in the car business with its long lead times. While some would argue about whether GM's newest offerings are segment leaders, there is no doubt that almost every recent GM introduction has made tremendous progress.

GM will launch a replacement for its one-and-done Cobalt later this year in the shape of the new Chevrolet Cruze. We were invited to the GM Milford Proving Ground to learn more about the Cruze and get a first drive on the track. Read on to find out if it indeed has a shot at being best in class.

Continue reading Quick Spin: 2011 Chevrolet Cruze ain't no Cadavelier

Quick Spin: 2011 Chevrolet Cruze ain't no Cadavelier originally appeared on Autoblog on Mon, 19 Apr 2010 12:28:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=XO_92w8Z9L0:aDxXFk3oFmE:wF9xT autoblog?i=XO_92w8Z9L0:aDxXFk3oFmE:V_sGL
XO_92w8Z9L0

View the full article

Seems like a great review, and also good news that the manual tranny is a good one. Also surprising that the car is officially a midsize...

the current elantra is midsize. i expect a similar sized interior.

? This thread is about the Cruze. I thought the Elantra was the compact Hyundai, with the Sonata being the midsize and the Accent the subcompact.

While it's not high on style, I think it's going to be a no brainer purchase for most people...

the current elantra is midsize. i expect a similar sized interior.

If the wheelbase and other dimensions are any indication the interior should be bigger than that of the Elantra.

While it's not high on style, I think it's going to be a no brainer purchase for most people...

I have to say I like the style ........ now give me the engine I want and big brakes and I'll buy one

DI/2.4L VVT 185hp 185ftlbs non turbo

EPA classes do not determine market segments.

Remember, the PT Cruiser is/was an EPA "large car."

Edited by Lamar

Seems like a great review, and also good news that the manual tranny is a good one. Also surprising that the car is officially a midsize...

I agree CSpec, seems like a great review...

? This thread is about the Cruze. I thought the Elantra was the compact Hyundai, with the Sonata being the midsize and the Accent the subcompact.

EPA classifies elantra as midsize just like the cruze due to interior volume. The sentra is really close to midsize as well. The sonata is technically in the large car class now, also.

EPA classifies elantra as midsize just like the cruze due to interior volume. The sentra is really close to midsize as well. The sonata is technically in the large car class now, also.

Wierd. Hard to think of small four cyl compacts as 'midsize'. Sounds like the games rental car companies play.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

EPA classes do not determine market segments.

Remember, the PT Cruiser is/was an EPA "large car."

Right but if you are trying to gauge the interior space of a vehicle relative TO one of it's competitors, ones with similar cf specs or EPA interior classes should help you get a feel for just how big it is.

Right but if you are trying to gauge the interior space of a vehicle relative TO one of it's competitors, ones with similar cf specs or EPA interior classes should help you get a feel for just how big it is.

Yeah, but oftentimes (and more often these days) cars just employ higher roofs to increase passenger volume. See Nissan Sentra and Versa.

Wierd. Hard to think of small four cyl compacts as 'midsize'. Sounds like the games rental car companies play.

When I was in Phoenix this Christmas the enterprise row with all the "full-size" cars had 2 Impalas, a Fusion, 8 Kia Forte, 4 PT Cruisers and 2 HHRs.

I like this car. It has to be light years ahead of my 2003 Cavalier. I want to replace the Cavalier I only drive it to work and around town. but this little car wont quit. It has 111,700 miles and still runs like new. But im planning on buying a new car in september, probaly a new Camaro or a left over Cobalt SS if I can get it dirt cheap.

Yeah, I really think that now that this has gotten bigger, the Aveo will be more my size too.

Hell, I might even buy a Cobalt sedan before they dissapear, or buy used... We'll see what happens if and when my Cobalt dies.

Yeah, but oftentimes (and more often these days) cars just employ higher roofs to increase passenger volume. See Nissan Sentra and Versa.

a higher roof can often more a more upright seating position, which means leg room is improved too because your legs are not so horizontal.

go sit in the backseat of the hyundai elantra touring. or the front. HUGE on the inside. very accommodating interior.

Yeah, I really think that now that this has gotten bigger, the Aveo will be more my size too.

Hell, I might even buy a Cobalt sedan before they dissapear, or buy used... We'll see what happens if and when my Cobalt dies.

i may be tempted to bite on a cobalt (or HHR for that matter) simply because they are virtually giving them away.

the new Aveo will be nice, but it won't have the 2.2 litres of horsepower the Cobalt has, and i don't expect the Aveo to be a 'handler' per se either.

you can probably find a stripper cobalt that will get the same real world mpg the cruze eco gets. the cruze aint gonna sell with big rebates for quite awhile. A new Cruze Eco you won't find very cheap at the start. I am guessing a real world spread of close to 5 grand between a fire saled Cobalt and a Cruze Eco, or even a Cruze base.

So then it becomes an issue if the new style, more room, better driving experience make up for the 5 grand...or more......

I really think the Cobalt vs. next Aveo comparison is more valid. The Cruze has a lot more going for it, including a lot more real world pricing.

Edited by regfootball

I think I might do the same thing but I want a two door. another reason to buy a Cobalt. I am going to go looking in August. They will put alot of money on the hood to clear them out. my father also is a retiree from GM so Ill even get a bigger discount. I will be replacing my 2003 Cavalier.

I like this car. It has to be light years ahead of my 2003 Cavalier. I want to replace the Cavalier I only drive it to work and around town. but this little car wont quit. It has 111,700 miles and still runs like new. But im planning on buying a new car in september, probaly a new Camaro or a left over Cobalt SS if I can get it dirt cheap.

Well, the Cavalier will make a good beater then....so the other car won't have to see bad weather.

My buddy has a 04 as a Beater, and he beats the snot out of it.....

I'm hearing that the Aveo is pretty much Cobalt sized...something I like.

Depending on how it works out, I could go with either....

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor