Autoweek: Ridgeline production cuts (again)

cmattson

I guess buying enough advertising-space in MotorTrend to ensure Truck of the Year just doesn't mean much to consumers..

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti...E/60206007/1041

In October, Honda said it would cut production of its slow-selling Ridgeline pickup by 3,000 vehicles in the January-March quarter. On Oct. 1, Honda was sitting on a 151-day supply of the Ridgeline. Heavy dealer incentives and lease promotions trimmed that to 53 days as of Jan. 1.

151-day supply for a brand new vehicle is an extremely poor showing. 53 with "heavy dealer incentives" (LOL) isn't exactly encouraging either. While the truck does fill a niche, I'm not sure the public really wants that niche filled.. especially at the price Honda is asking for this pseudo-truck.

Honda says that the latest round of production cuts is designed to reduce the need for the company to offer incentives on light trucks.

This is smart. Instead of continuing to offer incentives (as other automakers have been doing), they'll cut back production, possibly building more of the always popular Odyssey and Pilot on the same line.

More than anything it is the price. Around here, you can get a better equipped Silverado, F-150 or Dakota than the Ridgeline. Honda has too many ugly niche offerings already: nothing is uglier than the Element (it makes the Aztec took good!)

If one must buy an import, Nissan and Toyota have much better offerings than Honda.

This is smart.  Instead of continuing to offer incentives (as other automakers have been doing), they'll cut back production, possibly building more of the always popular Odyssey and Pilot on the same line.

Good point. I wish more companies would get the swing of this--cut the production down, even to very low levels, BEFORE the need for incentives. Most of the domestic makers will lower/stop production for a while, but not until there's a stockpile (how do you think there got to be $8k rebates at GM? :AH-HA_wink: )

I'm not singing praises of the Ridgeline, even though I like it a LOT, especially after finally getting to check one out in person, but just wanted to make that point.

Then again, as for the vehicle itself, I loved it. Reminded me of all the good stuff about our Avalanche: comfortable seating for 5, really unique outside look, and the ability to haul "dirty stuff" without having to drive a "real" truck; and all the stuff that I liked better: unibody, so more solid and carlike, much higher level of fit & finish, and a more ecomical, but still strong, V6.

I'm definately in the minority on this board, but I still really like it.

As for the MDX, its current design is just about done with, so a drop in sales is only to be expected.

Edited by caddycruiser

Just so you know, EPA ratings foretell that the V6 isn't really that economical, even compared to a V8.

I know, and I've seen some pretty low real world numbers on them, but I still really like the Honda 3.5L, and it's the biggest they have. That said, there's the potential there for quite a bit better economy than most V8's, especially if the Honda got a little more grunt and then wouldn't have to work as hard.

Not a perfect vehicle, but still very likeable to me.

My dad saw the Ridgeline at the autoshow and thought it looked pretty cool. Then, I told him it was built on a minivan platform and had FWD-biased AWD. He walked away from it. My mom said the only thing good about it was the in-bed trunk.

I am not surprised about the cuts.

My dad saw the Ridgeline at the autoshow and thought it looked pretty cool.  Then, I told him it was built on a minivan platform and had FWD-biased AWD.  He walked away from it.

Yes, built on a minivan platform, and it is completely incapable of transfering any amount of power to the rear wheels due to its horrible FWD bias! Can you be a little more open minded and read about how the chassis is built or how the AWD system works before you try to null anybody else's interest in the vehicle?

Yes, built on a minivan platform, and it is completely incapable of transfering any amount of power to the rear wheels due to its horrible FWD bias! Can you be a little more open minded and read about how the chassis is built or how the AWD system works before you try to null anybody else's interest in the vehicle?

If the Ridgeline was completely incapable of transfering any amount of power to the rear wheels than it would have a totally FWD drivetrain, not a FWD-biased AWD drivetrain. Can you interept people's comments correctly before jumping on their backs?

Good point.  I wish more companies would get the swing of this--cut the production down, even to very low levels, BEFORE the need for incentives.  Most of the domestic makers will lower/stop production for a while, but not until there's a stockpile (how do you think there got to be $8k rebates at GM?  :AH-HA_wink:  )

I'm not singing praises of the Ridgeline, even though I like it a LOT, especially after finally getting to check one out in person, but just wanted to make that point.

Then again, as for the vehicle itself, I loved it.  Reminded me of all the good stuff about our Avalanche: comfortable seating for 5, really unique outside look, and the ability to haul "dirty stuff" without having to drive a "real" truck; and all the stuff that I liked better: unibody, so more solid and carlike, much higher level of fit & finish, and a more ecomical, but still strong, V6.

I'm definately in the minority on this board, but I still really like it.

As for the MDX, its current design is just about done with, so a drop in sales is only to be expected.

cutting labor and production is easy when you don't have union deals

My dad saw the Ridgeline at the autoshow and thought it looked pretty cool.  Then, I told him it was built on a minivan platform and had FWD-biased AWD.  He walked away from it.  My mom said the only thing good about it was the in-bed trunk.

I am not surprised about the cuts.

which you can't get to if you have cargo in the bed anyways

If the Ridgeline was completely incapable of transfering any amount of power to the rear wheels than it would have a totally FWD drivetrain, not a FWD-biased AWD drivetrain.  Can you interept people's comments correctly before jumping on their backs?

Can you interpret sarcasm? Your comments made you sound like you are very closed minded about the Ridgeline, and don't really know how it works or how it's built. Can you tell me how the two things you pointed out to your dad hold back the potential of the Ridgeline for its size and what it is designed to do? If you dad needs a full size truck to do whatever work, then he should have seen the small bed and not even walked up to the Ridgeline in the first place.

The Honda Ridgeline is nothing but a cardboard cutout of a truck. It ain't a pimple on a Silverado's butt.

I think most people here can agree that it was never designed or meant to be a pimple on a Silverado's butt (or an F-150's butt). I can contest that the interior quality of the Sierra I drive is closer to that of cardboard than the Ridgeline's I've looked at. I wouldn't take a Ridgeline over the Sierra for the kind of work it does though.

Hmmmm......just read a recent post on here that Ridgeline is outselling Avalanche?

Is that true?

INTERESTING....

First the article is a moot point since the announcements were made back in October that Honda would cut Ridgline production during the first quarter 06.

To directly answer your question:

Inventory Feb 1, 2006

Avalanche - 145 day

Ridgline - 76 day

Jan. sales

Avalanche - 2345

Ridgline - 3814

Yeah!  Let the Ridgeline's interior null everybody else's interest in the vehicle!

Didn't null mine, and I specifically dug through it all a bit and knocked on all the pieces. Was definately better than any domestic truck I looked at, and most of the cars, and right on par with the typical Honda...not flashy, but very well trimmed, high quality pieces and fits, and just very fitting with the rest of the vehicle overall.

I still like it, and has been said before, for the bulk of people who do buy trucks and crossover things like the Avalanche, they mostly only ever use them for "car purposes" anyway, and this is a great fit. No, it isn't as bare bones and classically rugged as something like a Colorado or Dakota might be, but that was never the intent.

It stands out as something that fits what a real buyer actually uses such a vehicle for.

Styling is a little odd, but I think, at least, on something with such a theme, it works.

well I got the oppurtunity to sit in one at the auto show. It was okay. The dash felt cheap, the seats seemed tough and not comfy, but then again I'm used to the space I get from sitting in a Superduty or a 3500HD.

Something I found annoying was

I have yet to drive one. I'll check it out sometime. Anyways, this is probably the coolest Ridgeline I've ever seen.

Posted Image

That's probably as good as it get's, for me at least.

My Ratings:

Exterior design: C-

Interior design: D+

Functionality: B

Powertrain: C

Value: C

Overall: C