Could this mean something as well?

If GM is trying to make global platforms buildable anywhere in the world (which is such an obviously good idea I'm suprised to even hear that it wasnt' a given) then they might build the Astra here, somewhere.  Another thing that surprises me is the money GM has spent to rework the old Vectra, which was a pretty good looking car in Europe into the dopey L-series.  I've also wondered why it takes them so long to leverage new cars of a developed platform.  When did the newest 9-3 start up on the Epsilon platform was it in '03?  Why did it take until 05 to launch the G6. 

In other parts of the world they sell Astras as Opels, Vauxhalls, Holdens and maybe even Chevys with few changes other than flexible right or left hand drive.  If Saturn is supposed to be the import fight just bring the current Astra over here now.  And while the Aura looks very sharp, the Euro Vectra could have made the trip over two years ago filling in the hole left by the unlamented, from plain to uglier L-series.

Story about the 9-3 is that Saab took the Epsilon and completely customized it, to a point where it's not really Epsilon anymore. Same story as the G6 Convertible, it was approved then the story about "Saab's Epsilon" came out and Pontiac was stumped.

Toni:

Give it AWD and it would make for one hell of a sports hatch... If there was a cheap but classy hatchback like this on the market I could afford brand new and it had a true Hardtop bodystyle I'd seriously consider it.

This thing has awome styling, that combined with all the windows rolled down, a good manual trans & would be enough to win me over... This makes a Civic look like @$$hole. They need to slap a Saturn badge on this sucker and call it a day... don't mess with the design. :)

I think the question is will they import the Astra...The name has a trademark. That leads one to believe the Ion name will drop and the use of Astra will take over. But, it does not guarantee the actual Astra automobile will be imported from Europe. I believe it will be and silly not to do this but for sure the name is with Saturn as well. I cannot wait!

Own:

2004 SRX

2005 SRX

2005 STS

2004 Acura TSX

Next on the list:

XLR-V

Is there any clear date?!?!

Absolutely nothing is clear. This thread is like 90% speculation. :) Sure is fun, though. Plus, with how the general look of the Aura and the current Opels is so incredibly aligned, plus the sharing of the Sky/GT, I'm getting to the point that I'd be suprised if they don't start doing more Opel/Saturn shared cars.

I'll take that hatch quad-coupe style, please! Dang, that'd be sweet... *drool*

Edited by PurdueGuy

Absolutely nothing is clear.  This thread is like 90% speculation. :)  Sure is fun, though.  Plus, with how the general look of the Aura and the current Opels is so incredibly aligned, plus the sharing of the Sky/GT, I'm getting to the point that I'd be suprised if they don't start doing more Opel/Saturn shared cars.

I'll take that hatch quad-coupe style, please!  Dang, that'd be sweet... *drool*

Well, I'd say a bit of confirmation rather than speculation. Our insiders here did hint that the Astra is coming as a Saturn.

I may be a huge nerd but the fact that you said the "ion doesn't have a POSITIVE image" is completly ironic....LOL....ions being the positively charged atoms that they are..... :lol:

Ions can be negatively charged. Depends on what substance they are from.

The Astra would be the most logical replacement for the ION, and exceptionally attractive. As long as there is a similar options spread between the NA and Euro versions (HID's, Continuous Damping Control (CDC), and other nifty items) then this will truly be an amazing automobile. let's hope it doesn't get dumbed down or cheapened too much.

Ions can be negatively charged. Depends on what substance they are from.

The Astra would be the most logical replacement for the ION, and exceptionally attractive. As long as there is a similar options spread between the NA and Euro versions (HID's, Continuous Damping Control (CDC), and other nifty items) then this will truly be an amazing automobile. let's hope it doesn't get dumbed down or cheapened too much.

Well...of course it won't have power accesories standard...thats a fact...but it will be beaut.

That doesn't mean much. I work at the Tech center and I see people driving Opels, Holdens, and Vauxhalls to work everyday. They may just be registering it like the brands I just mentioned for further studies or brand comparison...who knows. I wish though that they would bring the Vauxhall VXR Astra here, damn that car is sweet!! See...

http://www.vauxhall.co.uk/vx/vxr/ontheroad/astra.do

Well...of course it won't have power accesories standard...thats a fact...but it will be beaut.

Oh that wouldn't bother me any. I wouldn't mind driving another car with manual steering. People who complain about not having power this or that or air conditioning sort of bother me.

But, something doesn't add up with your statement- GM is moving Saturn upmarket to where Olds used to be, so, in this case, it would be HIGHLY unlikely for anything to not be power operated.

Oh that wouldn't bother me any. I wouldn't mind driving another car with manual steering. People who complain about not having power this or that or air conditioning sort of bother me.

But, something doesn't add up with your statement- GM is moving Saturn upmarket to where Olds used to be, so, in this case, it would be HIGHLY unlikely for anything to not be power operated.

They really should make power standard....it's not the 50's anymore

I love the new Golf/GTI, but the Astra blows it away in terms of style. GM needs to gain their own Euro perspective here in the States.... small cars are becoming much more vitally important. A lot of customers are seeking a more premium small car. Why give up looks, features, fun-to-drive character and quality to gain the handy size and better economy of a smaller package? Mazda 3, Golf and Mini (3 sold here of many that are available in Europe) prove that a nicer small car will sell. I believe the Astra has a better chance here than any of the three I mention above. Edited by ocnblu