Trademarks (December Update)

Variance

• 1 month later...

July update (these will now be coming either bi-weekly or monthly, TBD):

Nissan

Vikon: Concept?

Toyota

Swoop Cut/Sweep Cut: Obviously not a car name (at least I hope to God it isn't because it would be the worst one ever). Probably for a design element.

Honda

Destination Wellness: Probably has nothing whatsoever to do with cars but thought I'd post it anyway. The description states it has to do with promoting healthy behavior.

GM

LSX: An engine name. Can't determine whether it's read "LS[ecks]" or "LS[ten]". It's more likely the latter. Pure speculation: "Blue Devil" Corvette engine?

I fuel good: Likely for further flex-fuel marketing. Kind of corny, IMO. (No pun intended.)

Fiero: The return of Pontiac's mid-engined roadster in the cards?

Ford

Warriors in Pink: Something to piss off the AFA further? :P

Boss 302/351: Now the description specifically says the trademarks are for insignias but why have the insignias if the cars that go with them aren't coming? This shouldn't come as a shock anyway; we know how Ford loves to milk the pony.

DCX

Edition 10: I'm going to take a stab and assume this is for Chrysler.

ML300/550: New engines for the ML on the way?

Attention Assist: Radar/laser guidance system for Chyrsler Group products?

Latitude/Liberty Latitude: I would assume that this is a special edition of the Liberty but the fact that the "Latitude" name is also listed separately leads me to believe that this is a somewhat different model or at least a spinoff.

Great River Road: The description states they are for badges. I have no idea what it is or means, though.

Ram 1500/2500 Thunderroad: WTF?

Attention Assist: Radar/laser guidance system for Chyrsler Group products?

Maybe lane departure control or one of those things that alerts the driver when he's not looking ahead? Jesus, lets hope its neither.

Ram 1500/2500 Thunderroad: WTF?

This is already a preferred equipment group package on the Ram since at least 2003, perhaps earlier. Adds a tow package, alloys, and some other things. Its sometimes signified by THUNDERROAD script mounted just below the regular RAM 1500 badging on the door panels, though not always. One of the project managers at work has one.

July update

Fiero: The return of Pontiac's mid-engined roadster in the cards?

This excites me, if only for the prospect of Pontiac getting new product (the pipeline is pretty barren right now).

Just as an aside, DCX did sell 10 Tomahawks - non-running - through Neiman Marcus for $550,000 - just a half-of-million dollar paperweight.

Neiman Marcus invites you to own the Dodge Tomahawk, a hand-built reproduction of the widely acclaimed concept vehicle unveiled by DaimlerChrysler at the 2003 North American International Auto Show in Detroit. This piece of automotive sculpture was commissioned by DaimlerChrysler and fabricated by the original builders. The single passenger Tomahawk is sculpted of aluminum around a 505 cubic inch, V-10 Dodge Viper engine. The Tomahawk is a concept only; it is not a fully operational vehicle and cannot be legally operated on public roads. It's a collector's display piece, a true gem with cutting edge design and Art Deco-inspired style. ($555,000, page 61)

Thanks for this topic! I'm thinking Lincoln MKV is the edition of the Fairlane-but who knows-sounds like Lincoln's getting new product and Mercury nothing. Also to note for DaimlerChrysler-if it says 'AG' at the end-it is for Mercedes-Benz; if it says 'Corporation' at the end, its for The Chrysler Group/Mopar (Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep). Great River Road is probably a limited-edition Jeep package, you know-like Rocky Mountain and Columbia Editions.

I'm confused-on the uspto.gov site, how do you search for Automobile names/trademarks? I was searching and it was all just very confusing and got me everywhere but where I wanted to be-you know, kind of like that teacher you ask a simple question but get anything but a direct answer from....I'd appreciate it, thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

August Update

GM

Astro Body: ?

Ford

"Life is calling, where to next?": Slogan, cheesy.

GTX1: (Published for opposition -- August 29, 2006)

DCX

"Disciplined pizzazz": OMG...

GLK220/280/350: Mini-me GLs on the way.

722 Edition: Discussed before.

GL65: GL AMG-style.

CLS55: Ditto.

Honda

Mon Pal: Too ridiculous not to be a concept name.

I'm confused-on the uspto.gov site, how do you search for Automobile names/trademarks? I was searching and it was all just very confusing and got me everywhere but where I wanted to be-you know, kind of like that teacher you ask a simple question but get anything but a direct answer from....I'd appreciate it, thanks!

164273[/snapback]

Basically:

Go here: http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/gate.exe?f=logi...nglish&p_d=trmk

Use "Free Form (Advanced) Search".

Type search in this format: (First word of company name)[ON] AND (Second)[ON] AND 2006????[FD]

i.e....

General[ON] AND Motors[ON] AND 2006????[FD]

• 1 month later...

September Update

GM

Seneca: Listed as a name for a truck.

DCX

Snakeskin: ?

Trailhawk: ? again.

Nissan

Bevel: ?

PX/WX/EX/DX35: Pontential names for Infiniti's entry-level SUV.

M40/50/55/60: The Infiniti M's getting the new VQ35HR and a new V8 possibly for the 2008 model year. However, if they've registered as high as "M60" could there be a high-performance version?

All-Mode 4x4: Nissan's 4WD system name.

Toyota

Highrunner: The lovechild of the Highlander and 4Runner??

Drams: ?

"The Pursuit/Passionate Pursuit of Potential": New Lexus tagline?

Honda

Gen MX: ?

September Update

DCX

Snakeskin: ?

Trailhawk: ? again.

189552[/snapback]

Snakeskin is probably yet another Viper powered/Viper wannabe concept a la the Copperhead, Sidewinder, that Chrysler thing that looked pretty cool from a couple of years ago but whose name I cannt recall.

Trailhawk sounds like an SUV concept.

Could this be the GMC LambdaVan?

Astro Body is a van body for the Colorado and Canyon.

So would this be a conversion/coachbuilder or would GM be offering a true replacement for the Astrovan?

189615[/snapback]

It's a conversion body based on the two-door chassis-cab, built by a third party but orderable through GM Fleet, something like a panel-van. You can find it in the 2007 MY Fleet guide.

It's a conversion body based on the two-door chassis-cab, built by a third party but orderable through GM Fleet, something like a panel-van. You can find it in the 2007 MY Fleet guide.

192158[/snapback]

I found where it was talked about, the pic in refrence on the page was a Izusu box-truck, but no pic of the Colorado Astro body. I am kinda curious about this now. Edited by 91z4me

• 3 weeks later...

Time for my first "Denali Member" post:

October Update

Ford

Trilogy: vehicle name

Flex/Ford Flex: listed for automobliles

Territory: This is an Australian Ford crossover SUV based off of the Falcon. Coming here, perhaps? Although, it must be recognized that it wouldn't be the first time Ford simply used the name of a overseas product that otherwise had nothing in common (Fusion).

MKR: Guess who?

Galaxie: Another revival of a classic nameplate.

Nissan

Aprio

Time for my first "Denali Member" post:

October Update

Ford

Trilogy: vehicle name

Cool name! Suprised it hasn't been done before.

Maybe this is what Ford will call its Hybrids or flex fuel vehicles?

Territory: This is an Australian Ford crossover SUV based off of the Falcon. Coming here, perhaps? Although, it must be recognized that it wouldn't be the first time Ford simply used the name of a overseas product that otherwise had nothing in common (Fusion).

Territory won't be coming here unless Ford decides to spend the dough to get Falcon made LHD, which they SHOULD!!!, but haven't yet.

I think it's a good idea to list the trademarks that have been (or are being) published for opposition recently (in September and October). Being published for opposition is good indicator of which trademarks have a good chance for being placed on production models (and as a result, give clues as to what future holds for a brand and/or its models). The USPTO can explain it better than I:

If the examining attorney raises no objections to registration, or if the applicant overcomes all objections, the examining attorney will approve the mark for publication in the Official Gazette.

The USPTO will send a Notice of Publication to the applicant stating the date of publication. Any party who believes it may be damaged by registration of the mark has thirty (30) days from the publication date to file either an opposition to registration or a request to extend the time to oppose.

If no opposition is filed or if the opposition is unsuccessful, the application enters the next stage of the registration process. A Certificate of Registration will issue for applications based on use, or on a foreign registration under §44, or a Notice of Allowance will issue for intent-to-use applications.

So with that...

Ford

Lincoln MKT: September 5, 2006

Aviator MKA: October 24, 2006

Toyota

Auris: October 31, 2006

Nissan

Cube Cubic/Cubic Cube: September 5, 2006

DCX

Sportsman: October 31, 2006

OK, I am really bored. Before you guys start beating me up for putting posts everywhere about the same thing, I'll just move all the stuff here for now.

I've found other names of interest that has been registered by GM in US:

Astra

BLC

BLS

BRX

BLW (dead)

G5

G8

Serrano (dead)

Tigre (dead)

Invicta

Moab

There's more (like 900 in total).

Interestingly some of them are being registered recently.

And another:

Enclave

This one isn't registered under GM, but a company called Enclave Corporation, which has the same address as GM. Maybe something there as well?

89173[/snapback]

A clerical error. The entry is actually something like

trademark: ENCLAVE

owner: ENCLAVE

owner type: Corporation, Address: etc.

I think it's a good idea to list the trademarks that have been (or are being) published for opposition recently (in September and October). Being published for opposition is good indicator of which trademarks have a good chance for being placed on production models (and as a result, give clues as to what future holds for a brand and/or its models). The USPTO can explain it better than I:

If the examining attorney raises no objections to registration, or if the applicant overcomes all objections, the examining attorney will approve the mark for publication in the Official Gazette.

The USPTO will send a Notice of Publication to the applicant stating the date of publication. Any party who believes it may be damaged by registration of the mark has thirty (30) days from the publication date to file either an opposition to registration or a request to extend the time to oppose.

If no opposition is filed or if the opposition is unsuccessful, the application enters the next stage of the registration process. A Certificate of Registration will issue for applications based on use, or on a foreign registration under §44, or a Notice of Allowance will issue for intent-to-use applications.

So with that...

Ford

Lincoln MKT: September 5, 2006

Aviator MKA: October 24, 2006

Toyota

Auris: October 31, 2006

Nissan

Cube Cubic/Cubic Cube: September 5, 2006

DCX

Sportsman: October 31, 2006

201003[/snapback]

Auris is the new Corolla hatch (already called Runx/Allex in Japan rather than Corolla). Introducing Auris space concept

Cube Cubic (or Cube³) is the lwb 7-seat (3-row) version of Nissan's B-segment box-MPV.

• 4 weeks later...

November Update

GM

Chevrolet Spark: Consideration for U.S. sale to substitute now missing Aveo hatch?

Published for Opposition

Skyscape (Oct. 26, 2006): Listed for sunroofs, likely a panoramic unit.

Ford

F-150 Platinum: Looks like Hyundai won't be the only one with a coming Platinum Edition.

SVTOA: Listed as "Association services; namely, promoting general interest of and education regarding automobiles."

Ford/Lincoln/Mercury Sync: Listed as "electronic interface modules for wired and wireless interface of mobile phones and electronic media players with an automotive electrical system."

Published for Opposition

Supreme (Dec. 5, 2006): Listed for windshield wiper blades. (???)

Lincoln MKR (Nov. 14, 2006)

DCX

Published for Opposition

Westfalia (Nov. 21, 2006): "MOTOR HOMES, CAMPER VANS, AND THEIR STRUCTURAL PARTS, EXCLUSIVE OF COUPLINGS AND TRAILER COUPLINGS FOR LAND VEHICLES"

Sportsman (Nov. 7, 2006): Description of logo: The color(s) gray, black and red is/are claimed as a feature of the mark. The color(s) gray appear in the lettering, black in the backgrounds and red appears in the crosshairs design. The mark consists of the word "SPORTSMAN" with a cross hair over the letter "O".

Nissan

CX25 and CX35 have been declared "dead". That is, either Nissan cancelled the registration process or the USPTO denied the patent. This likely happened because of Mazda's CX SUVs.

Toyota

F: It's basically a badge design, a stylized "F".

November Update

Westfalia (Nov. 21, 2006): "MOTOR HOMES, CAMPER VANS, AND THEIR STRUCTURAL PARTS, EXCLUSIVE OF COUPLINGS AND TRAILER COUPLINGS FOR LAND VEHICLES"

211085[/snapback]

I think we've done this when it came up before

Westfalia is DCX's in-house conversion company, but they do more than just Mercedes Van conversions.

http://www.westfalia-van.de/

Here's are the recent trademarks that have been through the entire process and are officially registered:

Ford

"It begs to be driven" (Oct. 24, 2006): Tagline

DCX

Steer Control (Oct. 24, 2006): "sensors for measuring speed, power and momentum; data processing apparatus"

Jeep 65 (October 17, 2006):

Posted Image

Street Cruiser (Oct. 3, 2006)

• 3 weeks later...

http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/gate.exe?f=doc&state=vg3b6i.4.72

Just in for Dodge Demon (filed October 11th), Hemisfear was filed 2 days later; also one under Ford for MKF, but only seeming to denote a trim level or badge. These are the only new ones I saw.

• 3 weeks later...

December Update

Ford

Registered

Tough Bed (Dec. 5, 2006}

Nissan

M20/25/48/56: More names files related to Infiniti's executive-class sedan. An "M25" is already sold in Japan (Fuga with a 2.5L VQ V6). That and I believe the "M48" have a realistic chance of coming to fruition here. Infiniti does not currently have a 4.8L V8 but I wouldn't be the least bit suprised to learn they have one in the works. "M56" suggests that Nissan's 5.6 V8 used in the Armada, Titan and QX56 would be crammed into the M's engine bay but I don't see that being feasible. I believe "M20" was submitted to more or less cover their bases.

---

Lean month, oh well. That wraps up 2006.

Starting in 2007, I'm probably going to make monthly Feature Articles out of these so I can...well...actually start writing them again... :ph34r:

I may use this thread in the future as a notifier to when I post one up.

Thank you for your patronage. :CG_all: