Busy Hyundai reveals next Elantra at Busan show in Korea [w/Video]

NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Hyundai unveils Elantra replacement

04/29/2010, 9:04 AM BY ANDREW GANZ

Hyundai used its home-market Busan Motor Show to unveil the replacement for its world-market Elantra. Known domestically as the Avante, the new sedan follows closely in the automaker’s more shapely style that was introduced in the Sonata.

Introduced just days after Hyundai took the wraps off of its sub-Avante Verna (known in North America as the Accent), the Avante was by far the biggest premier at the Busan show.

Expected to go on sale in early Fall in South Korea, we’ll likely have to wait a few months before Hyundai unveils the North American-specification Elantra.

Powered by Hyundai’s latest 1.6-liter direct-injected Gamma-series four-cylinder, the Avante also features a new six-speed automatic transmission. Hyundai says the motor is good for about 138 horsepower and will help the sedan be about 10 percent more efficient than its rivals, which include the Mazda Mazda3, Honda Civic and Ford Focus.

Hyundai has yet to release any images of the interior of the car – and those on display in Busan were exterior mock-up models only. Our spy shots below were of a North American-specification Elantra testing late last year.

Look for the production world-market Elantra’s formal debut to likely occur in late September at the Paris Motor Show, with a North American on sale date of late 2010 or early 2011 as either a 2011 or 2012 model. We don’t expect many styling changes between the North American variant and the Korean domestic market Avante, although North America is slated to receive a 200-horsepower turbocharged four-cylinder as the top powertrain offering.

link:

http://www.leftlanenews.com/hyundai-elantra-2011.html

I like it, especially in profile. It flows better and looks less thick in the middle than the Sonata does. The profile is especially well done. Front looks less busy and droopy than the Sonata's too.

Hyundai is going all out with these sort of organic curves and lines. Certainly gives them more of a design language than Toyota or Honda.

Filed under: Budget, Sedan, Hyundai, Misc. Auto Shows

177058-copy.jpg
2011 Hyundai Elantra / Avante - Click above for high-res image gallery

Hyundai has been very busy lately as it progresses through round two of its 24/7 product renewal program. Just days after unveiling the new Accent/Verna in Beijing, Hyundai has revealed its next generation Elantra/Avante at the Busan Motor Show in South Korea. Like the smaller Accent, the Elantra has picked up the "fluidic sculpture" styling cues of its big brother the Sonata. By virtue of its larger size, the Elantra retains more of the sleeker profile of the Sonata and doesn't look as stubby as the Accent.

Like the Sonata, the new Elantra gets a direct injected inline-four, in this case a 1.6-liter based on the Gamma engine family. For the Elantra the GDI 1.6 generates 138 horsepower and 123 pound-feet of torque. In combination with a new six-speed automatic transmission, the Elantra should get about 10 percent better fuel economy.

The Avante will go on sale in South Korea in the second half of this year and we'd expect to see it state-side with Elantra badges early in 2011. No word yet on whether we will get a hybrid version of the new Elantra. High-res images below, official press release and video available after the jump. Thanks to everyone for the tips!

[source: Hyundai]

Continue reading Busy Hyundai reveals next Elantra at Busan show in Korea [w/Video]

Busy Hyundai reveals next Elantra at Busan show in Korea [w/Video] originally appeared on Autoblog on Thu, 29 Apr 2010 10:57:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=zCMfxrQz2j4:3nWgLmAXt6s:wF9xT autoblog?i=zCMfxrQz2j4:3nWgLmAXt6s:V_sGL
zCMfxrQz2j4

View the full article

I like it, especially in profile. It flows better and looks less thick in the middle than the Sonata does. The profile is especially well done. Front looks less busy and droopy than the Sonata's too.

Hyundai is going all out with these sort of organic curves and lines. Certainly gives them more of a design language than Toyota or Honda.

:yes: agreed

That seems to be a growing trend in recent years.

I agree, a lot of car makers are doing it, and I don't care for it that much. It looks especially bad on the 2002-2006 era Lexus ES. The Cruze pulls the headlights way back along the hood too.

I'm on the opposite side of the spectrum.

I still prefer the Sonata over both the Accent and this new Elantra. This is one of those designs I'll have to see in person before I can appreciate, most likely. It's certainly aggressive. I just think I would have taken a different route with the front fascia as well as the head and tail light designs.

like the accent exterior, the elantra is nice, but i don't think its as nice as the tucson, sonata or the accent. its a bit generic. its not at all bad. but the long tail makes no sense in this class of car. i think that i like the focus over this. the crisp shape of the Cruze is nicer than this too. i think Hyundai probably went a little too far with its new theme here because it just doesn't gel as well as it does on the other ones.

still better than (insert random toyota design here)

i actually really like the current elantra. this sort of changes the personality of it. not a bad thing, just really seems like its being a bit too aspirational on the outside now. a little too mazda6 ish also.

Edited by regfootball

Pretty nice looking for a compact economy sedan, like the projector headlights too. I like it (will know more when the tint is lifted and they show the interior) but I still think I like the Focus more..

The GM deltas are a little too conservative so far.

Edited by frogger

Wow! This looks great! It has that annoying black plastic fakeout on the C-pillar, but it's so small in this application that I think I could almost overlook it. I think Hyundai has just raised the bar as far as compact sedan styling is concerned.

Wow, I think this looks great. Better than the Focus and Cruze IMO.

I agree. It looks better than anything in its class. I hate to say it, but I think it is even going to make Buick's upcoming compact sedan look very dated and outclassed. It's scary how far Hyundai has come. Everyone should be watching their back.