Review: 2010 Acura ZDX is a space (challenged) oddity

NewsFeeder

Filed under: Crossover, Acura, Reviews, Luxury

lead1acurazdxreview2010.jpg
2010 Acura ZDX - Click above for high-res image gallery

Needless to say, the 2010 Acura ZDX is a peculiar beast. And after a week's worth of testing, we're still not sure what to make of it.

But just for some context, let's begin with the fact that despite a similar fastback, five-door body style, the ZDX is not related to the Honda Accord Crosstour. Honda's jacked-up hatch is substantially larger than the ZDX and far more useful. Instead, it's best to think of the ZDX as a rake-roofed version of the MDX - a high-riding four-door coupe (assuming you buy into the marketing spiel) akin to its closest competitor, the BMW X6. Both models share similar designs and purposes - although the ZDX maxes out in price and performance where the German starts off - and both possess some of the attributes of a two-door layout - compromises and all.

Photos by Sam Abuelsamid / Max Abuelsamid / Copyright ©2010 Weblogs, Inc.

Continue reading Review: 2010 Acura ZDX is a space (challenged) oddity

Review: 2010 Acura ZDX is a space (challenged) oddity originally appeared on Autoblog on Thu, 29 Apr 2010 11:58:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=uLDOg0JQ61E:hVWvi4xznoE:wF9xT autoblog?i=uLDOg0JQ61E:hVWvi4xznoE:V_sGL
uLDOg0JQ61E

View the full article

Dumbest vehicle on the roads today. I don't care if I don't 'understand' the purpose, or market for this vehicle or that an MDX will accommodate my height instead. The ZDX should never have been conceptualized: they sacrificed practicality for style, and even then, the style is lacking.

There are a lot of articles where the authors are coming at the ZDX with the mindset of "MDX". Such is the case with this Autoblog article that starts off with: "it's best to think of the ZDX as a rake-roofed version of the MDX." No, I think it's best to think of the ZDX as a coupe with some of the advantages of an SUV. Compared to a coupe, it has more space, more ground clearance, better off-road capability, and a more upright, commanding driving position. Not to mention easier access to the rear seats, which are typically small and seldom used, as they normally are in coupes. Keep in mind the ZDX is significantly shorter (in height) and more coupe-like than the X6, which it tends to be lumped in with consistently.

It amazes me how much hate is flung at the ZDX. I think it's the most attractive vehicle from Acura's new styling direction. It's no Audi, but I wouldn't mind being seen in this. It's very capable, and it's only flaw is that it doesn't have the passenger or cargo room of the MDX. Some people don't need the extra room, but want some of the things I pointed out above.

Edited by siegen

I think it's the most attractive vehicle from Acura's new styling direction. It's no Audi, but I wouldn't mind being seen in this. It's very capable, and it's only flaw is that it doesn't have the passenger or cargo room of the MDX.

This I agree with, although the more I see the TSX, the less it bothers me as well...