Toyota's most influential/revolutionary?

Nothing revolutionary at Toyota....

Besides the checks from the PR department....

Seriously though, all they do is improve on already introduced technology. Their real advantage is 'walking on water' in the eyes of the media.

But, if I HAD to pick a vehicle... The Camry, because of it's broad opportunity for exposure to the brand.

I do. I want to spend more up front for a doorstop-looking shopping-cart-handling hatchback so I can claim I earn back the money with my fuel savings. Makes me better than you and everyone you know.

I can't adress any issues people may have with feeling inferior to Prius owners, but until GM produces something better (or at all, for that matter), that doorstop-looking shopping-cart-handling hatchback is more or less your only choice. :AH-HA_wink:

In all honesty, if the Prius were a Chevy, the cool-aid bunch here on C&G would be all over it.

In all honestly, if Chevy made it and it looked like that and underwhelmed in the MPG department like that and dealers were charging $$$$ over MSRP like that, I'd still call it what I do.

Truth is, in the scope of simple rote fuel savings, there are far better choices than the Prius, even within Toyota itself.

I can't adress any issues people may have with feeling inferior to Prius owners, but until GM produces something better (or at all, for that matter), that doorstop-looking shopping-cart-handling hatchback is more or less your only choice.  :AH-HA_wink:

In all honesty, if the Prius were a Chevy, the cool-aid bunch here on C&G would be all over it.

GM produces Hybrids where it matters most. ONE GM Hybrid bus equals the fuel savings of about 30* Toyota Priuses.

* number aproximate of course.

Edited by Oldsmoboi

Man, I thought yall were car enthusiasts. :P They started the entry level cute utes with the Rav4. They also started the car-based SUV with the RX300. The Landcruiser was one of the first SUV's but I think the Range Rover and Jeeps where b4 it, not exactly sure though. But they basically started or jump started(the Range Roverwas out then, but not a must have back then) the luxury SUV craze with the first LX450. The Pruis is the first hybrid. Its been on the market in Japan for years before it came stateside. The Insight was the first hybrid introduced in the US.

Most influential....I guess that would have to be the Corolla and Camry. And the LS400.

Edited by magneto112

Was the Blazer really that big back in the day that the RAV4 was something revolutionary?

Supra screamed pony car to me. It seemed like Toyota was just copying Firebird/Mustang's idea, even if I do *gasp* like the styling.

So... that leaves the Prius, Land Cruiser and MR2 for me to agree with. I'll give them those.

Toyota invented the entry level cute utes?????????????????

Where was the Suzuki Samurai for, what 10 years before the Rav4? Hell, the Chev Tracker/Pontiac Sunrunner was around LONG before the Rav4.

More Toyota doublespeak.

Twin Turbo Supra. inline six, "semi-exotic" styling and no compromise performance oriented mechanicals. Sucks that manual trans. was nearly non-existant.

Toyota has never been a trend setter, just a company with the ability to identify trends and leverage their technology to maximize the results...

The RAV4, RX300, LS400 and MR2 are all good examples of the above...obviously there were cute-utes, car based 4x4's, luxury 4 doors and affordable mid-engine cars before...but rarely has any single company been able to take these ideas and convert them into segment defining products.

To criticise Toyota for being unoriginal is hypocritical for this site. GM hasn't been at the forefront of a trend in 30 years....A new car/truck is a multi million dollar gamble, thus those that are nimble and accurate trump those that are slow-witted and preoccupied...

Where was the Suzuki Samurai for, what 10 years before the Rav4?  Hell, the Chev Tracker/Pontiac Sunrunner was around LONG before the Rav4.

More Toyota doublespeak.

The RAV4 was the first unibody cute-ute with the drive and the economy of a car.

Where was the Suzuki Samurai for, what 10 years before the Rav4?  Hell, the Chev Tracker/Pontiac Sunrunner was around LONG before the Rav4.

More Toyota doublespeak.

and yet none of them you listed was based off of a car platform. It had a truck latter frame body that I think was derived from the Chevy S10. The Rav4 was based on a Corolla with suspension tuning from the Celica. And the same goes for the RX300. Now you have every luxo make with their interpretation of a luxury car based SUV.