Column vs. Floor Shifter

mjdecker

Column vs. Floor  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Column vs. Floor

• Column shifter
    • Floor shifter
    • Who gives a shift? (I don't care)

Both cars I've drivin on a daily basis have been floor shifter so I'm used to it. That one week I had my car in the shop for repair on the head gasket I was going between my dad's 2000 Impala and my bro's 94 Park Ave (both have column shifters). The following week after I got my car back, I remember one point I was backing up and when I went to put it into drive I reach up and hit my windshield wiper switch as if it was a column shifter :blink:

Idk.. I must have been pretty tired or something that day.

But anyway, for those of us who are stuck with/perfer an auto over a manual, wich do you guys perfer?

What's an auto?

Once I learn what one is, I'll probably prefer a floor shifter. The Blazer has a column shifter and it feels completely unnatural to me. It's like... where's the clutch? How can I not shift? Why must I play with the lever that usually controls the windsheild wipes? Why do I have to pull it then rotate it up or down the column? What the hell is this wierd thing? I hate it. Atleast in the old 00 GASE, it more natural even if you still couldn't shift and use a clutch. In other words, less weird. :lol::D:P

Edited by blackviper8891

Floor shifter for me. I despise column shifters.

I rode in friend's old Buick Park Ave. a few times and when you put it in drive, it would get in the way climate control system. I would have to change it for her sometimes.

Plus, I just prefer floor shifters from an aesthetics point-of-view.

I, too, despise the column shifter. It's Geritol Central.

I ordered the Regal so it would have buckets, console and gauges on the inside and alloys on the outside.

I will always drive an automatic and, hopefully, I will always have a console floor shifter.

column on large cars and land yachts.

See, I disagree even here. I think that the floor shifter and console on an Impala, a Lucerne or a Bonneville makes for a completely different driving experience...one that I like better.

Bobo, too, has a point. The "hybrid" combination of column shifter with a console with all kinds of neat niches and such can be palatable. It all depends on the execution, though.

I, too, despise the column shifter.  It's Geritol Central.

I ordered the Regal so it would have buckets, console and gauges on the inside and alloys on the outside.

I will always drive an automatic and, hopefully, I will always have a console floor shifter.

Floor shifters ALL the way. I don't care what kind of car or truck it is.

I used to get so pissed that Buick would offer a console and "buckets" (Park Avenue Ultra and I think recent LeSabre) but still leave the shifter up on the damn column!!!!!!

:duh:

In fact, I think GM is the only mfgr still offering a column shifter in its cars (except Grand Marq/Town Car/Crown Vic.) Heck even many of Ford's trucks are going to floor shifters. HECK you can even order a floor shifter in the Crown Vic and Grand Marquis....!

One of the very few things I dislike about the new GMT-900s is the column shifter (ESPECIALLY on the Escalade.)

For me, it's a total asthetic thing....as well as a "feel" thing. It feels more natural, sportier, more upscale for me to utilize a "floor" shifter versus a "column" shifter.

In fact, I think GM is the only mfgr still offering a column shifter in its cars (except Grand Marq/Town Car/Crown Vic.)...HECK you can even order a floor shifter in the Crown Vic and Grand Marquis....!

And there's not a single GM car on which you can't get a floor shifter...

And there's not a single GM car on which you can't get a floor shifter...

True....except when designing a car to accomodate both, you end up sacrificing a few things.....

Like the design/fit of the dashboard center stack to the floor console.......(because you have to engineer the center stack to be self-standing a'la Lucerne/DTS.....compared to a seamless design from center stack down into a flowing console.....a'la almost any import....)

....and the ability for proper use (IMHO) of column stalks for wipers and cruise (on the right....with cruise like Toyota's at 3-4 o'clock)

True....except when designing a car to accomodate both, you end up sacrificing a few things.....

Like the design/fit of the dashboard center stack to the floor console.......(because you have to engineer the center stack to be self-standing a'la Lucerne/DTS.....compared to a seamless design from center stack down into a flowing console.....a'la almost any import....)

Hmmm...like the 2002 Camry?

Posted Image

Why was a car that would never see a column shifter apparently designed with one in mind?

....and the ability for proper use (IMHO) of column stalks for wipers and cruise (on the right....with cruise like Toyota's at 3-4 o'clock)

This is a very, very large IMHO. I can't even see why you'd make that statement.

And, as Oldsmoboi said, column shifters are apparently hot again with BMW and Mercedes. In fact, those shifters are worse because they're extremely counterintuitive (7er had 'valet instructions' on the sunvisor) and non-tactile. Name someone who has trouble figuring out a standard column shift and I'll show you someone who should be in the care of the state.

It's seldom a 'make or break' issue for me.

Still; in way too many cars, stuffing a fat console & a floor shift in an already cramped & intrusive interior does nothing for 'sportiness' whatsoever.

In a full-size truck, a column shifter not only frees up interior room for bulky items or an occasional 3rd (or 6th) passenger, but allows the treasured cat nap once in a blue moon. Nothing like putting yer feet up on the window sill and pulling yer cap down over your eyes. A console-shift auto in a truck is much like a wing spoiler on a truck- useless claptrap.

On many cars tho, it can be a nice ego crutch for those daydreaming about driving a sports car. No harm in that. ;)

I have a console/ floor shift in my '64 GP and I love it there. I have the opportunity to choose either set-up for my '59 but am going to stick with the bench/ column, even tho this car is many times over in sportiness & performance. IMO, if it wasn't offered from the factory- it feels 'wrong' to me.

Have you guys tasted the new Kool-aide yet? Column, shifters are back in. BMW and Mercedes are putting them back in their cars?

.....and the joke's on Benz.

BMW just announced that the next-generation 7-series ('08?) returns to a floor-mounted shifter. All other BMWs (even 5-6 series with IDrive) have a floor-mounted shifter.

This is a very, very large IMHO. I can't even see why you'd make that statement.

Uh....NO....

As we all saw in a rather large thread awhile back.....there is not universal LOVE for the old GM "smart stalk."

I don't want to start another "smart stalk" tirade....but many people don't like having all those functions on only one stalk.

....and I wasn't particularly fond of Camry's dash-to-console design either. But even you have to admit the old Camry's design is a rarity in an import....most are way more seamless.

Uh....NO....

As we all saw in a rather large thread awhile back.....there is not universal LOVE for the old GM "smart stalk."

I don't want to start another "smart stalk" tirade....but many people don't like having all those functions on only one stalk.

Um....YES....

I don't see anywhere where I said the Stalk was superior. I said its a manner of preference. There is no universal love for Toyota's positioning either; if there were, every car would've adopted it in much the same way the majority of cars have adopted headlamp controls on the left portion of the dash behind the wheel.

It all depends on the vehicle. I like a 60/40 split bench in a truck (like mine), so if it were an automatic, it would need to be on the column.

In a car, a floor shifter is better, unless it's a sweet cruising boat, then column.

No big deal either way.

.....and the joke's on Benz.

BMW just announced that the next-generation 7-series ('08?) returns to a floor-mounted shifter.  All other BMWs (even 5-6 series with IDrive) have a floor-mounted shifter.

Why can't we just have push button shifters with paddle control on the steering wheel.

i could careless

floor shifters are cool in sproty cars since you can hold on to ot like its a manual and shift in to neutral at lights and rev.

But trucks and passenger cars are good with column shifters.

and what did happen to 3 on tree?????????????????????????///

Edited by capriceman

There is something very singular about a standard 3-on-the-tree transmission......I love it.  It's a whole other experience.

I've driven a car ('67 Cougar) with a 3-spd manual floor shift (no console), manual steering (giant '60s steering wheel), manual drum brakes, bucket seats w/o headrests, lap belts only, no A/C, and an AM radio, 1 outside mirror..

It was a very strange but fun experience--so far removed from my everyday reality.

Edited by moltar

Olds did a good job between the interiors in the LSS :floor shift/console and Regency which was the same as our 50th anniversary with the column shift. It did not create any awkward dash or console or "center stack" issues. In fact the Regency interior was more comfortable and airy.

3 on a tree was a long throw but very common when I learned to drive. Our HS DE car was a Granada with three on the tree. Back then they wanted everyone to know how to drive the hardest method, which was a standard w/column shift. I also put alot of miles on a 71 hard worked HD3/4 ton Chevy w/307 limited slip and column shift. That thing would leave some pretty nice hooked "patches" :lol: yea, I was immature.......but Im over that now :unsure:

direct top mount standards are the best shifters, nice tight short throw. Linkage shifters are inferior. The best shifting tranny I have driven yet was in my Alpine, nice and light, very short throw, with easy but definate click click. Of course a Fuller 9 speed or 10 or 13 or 8 or 15 is something to master.......till you get tired of shifting the damn thing.......constantly

floor shifter has more sex appeal

column shift is more airy, less conjested

lastly

as I recall owners of GM's were highly favorable of the single stalk

and

whats he crying about now ?................. :lol:

I think the placement of the shifter may be the only "detail" that I'm picky enough about to make/break a car choice. I like my dad's Sierra and my mom's Impala...but I ABSOLUTELY hate column shifters. They are meant to be on the floor...it just feels natural to reach down...not to my wipers!

I voted "don't care" since I prefer 4-on-the-floor or some other form of manual trans. I only deal wiht automatics because it's so damn hard (or in some cases impossible) to find a car wiht a stick.

But just for $h!'s and giggles let me break it down for you:

There's some cars that should only have column shifters.

- Cadillac/Olds/Buick Land Barges

- Pickup trucks, esp. reg cab.

- any car wiht a bench seat... *duh*

And some cars are the opposite, they MUST have floor shifters otherwise it's retarded, like those Honda shifters that come out of the dash... :puke:

- Small econoboxes

- 2-seaters

- "sports cars"

What, no options in the poll for push buttons in the center of the steering wheel, or an auto shifter that pokes out of the dashboard ...

Who gives a rats where it's located ... It's an autotomatic!. It's not as if it was a transmission that you'd purposely put in a driver's car.