Sign in to follow this  
NewsFeeder

Is Hyundai really considering full-size pickup truck?

Filed under: Truck, Hyundai

Ram 1500

Is Hyundai about to repeat the mistakes of Toyota and Nissan? PickupTrucks.com reports that Hyundai has been showing off a modified Dodge Ram pickup at some consumer clinics to gauge interest in such a product. This wouldn't be the first time the Koreans have looked down this road. A midsize pickup based on the new Kia Sorento had been considered before being killed off two years ago. Tackling the full-size truck market could be an even more perilous endeavor.

Nissan never made a significant dent in the big truck segment with the six-year-old Titan. The enormous resources that Toyota has poured into the development and production of the Tundra are considered by some analysts to be one of the causes of the automaker's recent spate of quality problems and recalls. While many of Hyundai's recent introductions have done well, not everything has been a hit. The Veracruz hasn't been particularly successful in the larger CUV segment and the Genesis Coupe, while getting good reviews, is still very much a niche player against the likes of the Ford Mustang and Chevrolet Camaro.

[source: PickupTrucks.com]

Is Hyundai really considering full-size pickup truck? originally appeared on Autoblog on Sat, 08 May 2010 21:05:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=I-Ex7l6N9Vc:hBctJSPu9QQ:wF9xT autoblog?i=I-Ex7l6N9Vc:hBctJSPu9QQ:V_sGL
I-Ex7l6N9Vc

View the full article

And the good news is that the people impressed with the truck can buy one right now at a Dodge dealership!!

Even if the design team for the 1992 Hyundai S-Coupe had sole responsibility they'd make a better truck than the TOY-OTA Tundra & Hon-duh Ridgeline!

Even if the design team for the 1992 Hyundai S-Coupe had sole responsibility they'd make a better truck than the TOY-OTA Tundra & Hon-duh Ridgeline!

+1 big Time!

I think my biggest question is why are they showing a modified Ram?

Well, Hyundai has had a relationship w/ Chrysler in the past...(an Accent rebadge was/is sold as a Dodge in Mexico)..maybe they are cooking up a JV similar to what was being talked about w/ the Ram and the NG Titan a while back?

It wouldn't surprise me if Fiat wasn't looking at JVs w/ Hyundai or other Asian mfgrs.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

I hope Hyundai/Kia are not expanding too quickly just to have an entry in every segment. It seems like they are just now getting some of their car/CUV offerings on course. If I were Hyundai/Kia, I would focus my resources there instead of trying to jump in a segment that has not been very successful for Asian automakers in general.

With Hyundai trying to move a little upscale, is this really the proper brand to offer the truck? It seems like Kia would be the more appropriate choice since they are supposed to be the more mainstream brand. At least, that was the way I thought the arrangement was supposed to be.