Sign in to follow this  
NewsFeeder

BREAKING: BMW X3 prototype reportedly causes bomb scare outside NY museum

9 posts in this topic

NewsFeeder    9

Filed under: Spy Photos, Government/Legal, Safety, Crossover, BMW

bmw-x3-3-630op.jpg
2011 BMW X3 prototype - Click above for high-res image gallery

Note To Self: Don't leave camouflaged prototypes parked with the engine running next to Central Park in Manhattan. Just a week after a failed car bomb attempt in Times Square, Manhattan is understandably still a bit jittery. An apparent error in judgement by Martin Birkmann, head of product planning for BMW North America, reportedly triggered a bomb scare and the resulting evacuation of several blocks along Central Park West near the American Museum of Natural History this afternoon.

Birkmann was out evaluating a prototype 2011 BMW X3 covered in camouflage when he stopped to enjoy a bit of fresh air in the park. He inadvertently left the engine running and a woman walking her dog rightly thought the vehicle looked suspicious - particularly understandable given that New Yorkers are not as used to seeing such prototypes out and about as much as, say, your average Detroiter.

Police responded to investigate, and after clearing the area of bystanders, found no reason for alarm. Everyone was safe, although the back window of the X3 prototype was apparently shattered in the process. No doubt Birkmann will think twice about where he parks such vehicles in the future. Hat tip to Michael!

[source: New York Daily News | Image: CarPix]

BREAKING: BMW X3 prototype reportedly causes bomb scare outside NY museum originally appeared on Autoblog on Sun, 09 May 2010 18:18:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=vczOzNaApa8:F5mkhzRcDNE:wF9xT autoblog?i=vczOzNaApa8:F5mkhzRcDNE:V_sGL
vczOzNaApa8

View the full article

:palm:

:palm::palm:

i just read this on autoblog before coming here, reading the comments i realized that quite a few people criticized the BMW driver for leaving the X3 running, WHO would steal a camo car, would it be that difficult to find, and in the same idea if someone would bomb a place, would they paint it like that?

I'm w/ Canadian Bacon.

FAPTurbo    1,096

It was a dumb reaction, but he was also dumb to keep it idling. That's just useless, extra pollution.

loki    286

note to automakers, don't let dumb$h!s drive your camo'd cars.

lol

my first response to this was a facepalm in the other thread 98 posted

Z-06    493

Who gives the finger with the -front- of the hand facing out? That just looks wierd. This guy needs to learn how to properly give the finger! LOL

That is the European way.