Top speed...

Northstar

I think we've had threads like this before, but maybe not on the new forum. Anyways, last night I took out four of my friends on a country road with no one around and we went 132MPH in the GTO before we had to shut it down (stop sign). I could tell a noticealbe difference in acceleration with 600 extra pounds of weight in the car, but it still picked up pretty damn quickly. Somewhat amazingly, the GTO still felt totally under control and stable at that speed. We also did some sweet donuts in a parking lot with plenty of smoke, but that's another story.

On a side note, I think I've been at 115+ 4 times now.

So, what's the fastest everyone's gone in a vehicle?

I went 210 Km/H in my 9-3...... not shure how much that is in MPH.... hang on....

ok here: 210 kilometers/hour = 130.4877 miles/hour

that was on the 401 heading to Ottawa in the midle of the night on a long stretch of road. I had to shut'er down due to a curve or bend comming up in the road...

Edited by TurboRush

Lets see....the fastest I have been....127.8 in my truck, clocked over a 1/4-mile, and since the speedo stops at 100 on my 1976 chevy, I had no clue until a friend of mine did the e/t vs the length of the track. In my wife's Cobalt, 105, in my Impala 118, crested a hill, saw the Alabama State Trooper, slammed on the brakes, killed the headlights, ducked off onto a side road, stopped and hid for a little while.....(thank goodness for black cars)

110 in the Olds

129 in the SSEi

Or...you know...so I've heard.

I must say, GM did a fantastic job engineering the G-cars because you don't feel like you're travelling at those speeds at are. I remember doing 90 in a Corolla rental and 88 in an Elantra rental.

Never.

Ever.

Again.

100 MPH in the Dodge Ram 3500, wouldve gone faster but it was a cummins which is a v-6 and did not wnat the truck parts splattered across the road.lol.

Been up to a bouncy, indicated 130+ in my buddy's (later mine) '65 Catalina- he was driving. Another time I had it up to around 120 (I wasn't studying the speedo- I was watching the Ford I was chasing). God that car would fly: Hi-comp 389 & 2.41 gears. Had my '64 Catalina up to 105. No OD on any of these bruisers, folks!

'59 -according to the slide rule- will be good for 143 (again: no OD). Bad gears for it (3.73s) but plenty of HP to overcome that. ;)

My truck is supposed to only be good for 97- never took it over 85-90.

Too populated anymore (vehicles & deer), plus I think the top end bug has stopped biting for me some years back. I never used to think of things at speed... like tires...

plus I think the top end bug has stopped biting for me some years back. I never used to think of things at speed... like tires...

I never realy had the top end bug...... its always about acceleration and torque for me.... the sprint from 0-60 and/or 60-100 has always been the reason for my desire to drive

Well, I dont really remember that dayin the 572, but i know i was in the 150's on a road. at a legal track with a profeesional driver (well kinda) it hit 167.57. I only got it to 158.83 on the track. Silverado 92. the Caprice according to a hand held GPS 107. I have lost my excitment for speed. I only do a burnout off a light or race to 10 over against other people. I have seen a accident that changed me reason. I like Parking lots and dounuts better. Once in a while i will push a car.

And others will tell you like 68 in a car thats not really meant for speed like his dutson or my caprice its scary, you think of evry thing that can go wrong. Plus you have to keep both hands on the wheel scaning constantly. I dont know its not fun anymore.

But your GTO can handle stuff like that not a land yacht like mine

"cummins is an inline 6"

gemme htis willya...i knew it had 6 cylinders..lol...yea i know its an inline 6, just said v6 oops

Edited by Charger4U

And others will tell you like 68 in a car thats not really meant for speed like his dutson or my caprice its scary, you think of evry thing that can go wrong. Plus you have to keep both hands on the wheel scaning constantly.  I dont know its not fun anymore.

But your GTO can handle stuff like that not a land yacht like mine

Yeah, with my Alero is would shake once you got close to 100, so the fastest I ever went in it was 102 (and that's the only time I ever took it over 100). With the GTO it's not even funny how fast you can get up to 60 or 100, and it feels perfectly stable at any speed I've had it at.

I would never go very fast in a populated area, but we were out in the country at 11:30 at night and hadn't seen a car for 2-3 minutes.

I've had my car up past what the speedo reads... (Only goes up to 155 and my car has Dinan engine software so the givernor is removed)...I'd say I was in the 160's somewhere...I believe my car tops out around 167-170.

Shake ya butt.

No, really.. I want to try out the Camaro in a top speed situation on some backroads after I get the gears/cam/headers/springs/rods installed and a tune.

Is it a v6 or an v8 since the fastest i got my brothers was around a 105 its a 95 v6

The Solstice saw 105mph tonight..but it has just a tick over 2000 miles on it so I was a bit aprehensive on it and it was just for a minute. Some moron wanted to test me on the e-way...he was in an '05 Grand Am SE.

I never realy had the top end bug......  its always about acceleration and torque for me.... the sprint from 0-60 and/or 60-100 has always been the reason for my desire to drive

I've got a adrelaine-hungry brain that craves both... but I'll definately rather blow the doors off a BMW at the lights 0-60 in my Camaro than be trying to sustain 130 or whatever.

You guys are going to yell at me for saying such a sacriligious thing but the fastest I've ever actually driven (MYSELF BEHIND THE WHEEL) that I can confirm wiht a good spedometer is 135 in a '96 Mustang Cobra. That little DOHC is not half bad.

I'm pretty sure I've gone faster than that in my Camaro and I'm almost positive I hit 140-something in it the time I walked away from a 1990-96 Vette. I eased up shortly after since the car's 190,000 mile, 38 year old suspension is so worn and tired that anything above 70 is scary.

The STS would be a good car to try 150+ in but the damn gvernor shuts off at just below 130. :yuck: