Sign in to follow this  
NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

GM Woos Google: Collaboration Would Compete with Ford/Microsoft's Sync

GM Woos Google: Collaboration Would Compete with Ford/Microsoft's Sync

May 7 2010 05:45 PM by Todd Lassa

General Motors is negotiating with Internet search behemoth and new smartphone marketer Google to develop in-car telematics to compete with Ford and Microsoft’s Sync/MyFord systems, sources say. One says Google would sell its Android operating system for in-car use. The operating system supports Google’s Android smartphone, the new competitor to Apple’s iPhone.

Like Sync, Google’s Android would allow GM customers to pair their vehicles with almost any brand of smartphone. While Android would offer GM serious competition for Ford’s popular Sync, which was recently expanded into a set of services now called MyFord, MyMercury, and MyLincoln, the Google hookup wouldn’t be an entirely parallel competitor with the Microsoft system. For example, Android could allow GM vehicle owners to open, start and/or adjust their cars and trucks, something Microsoft hasn’t done for Ford.

Google would allow better two-way communication between a smartphone and the car. Google’s operating system also would render useless GM-owned OnStar’s turn-by-turn navigation system, because Android would use its own GPS map navigation. This could be a sticking point in negotiations between Google and GM.

How soon could it happen? We’re unlikely to get confirmation from either GM or Google earlier than 2011.

Read more: http://wot.motortrend.com/6646652/technology/gm-woos-google-collaboration-would-compete-with-ford-microsofts-sync/index.html#ixzz0nXQeFeFw

This is the key

Would allow GM customers to pair their vehicles with almost any brand of smartphone.

The more the better and if they can make it work well with any Apple IPhone or Pad it will be a home run.

Apple Fanboys on Motortrend are already bitching. Personally Apple would have segregated GM crowd. Google is really the better solution and a middle of the road way.

POLL: Would anyone here buy a GM with Apple?

Apple Fanboys on Motortrend are already bitching. Personally Apple would have segregated GM crowd. Google is really the better solution and a middle of the road way.

POLL: Would anyone here buy a GM with Apple?

Before I even finished reading your comment I thought to myself "Oh hell no. I would never buy a GM/Apple collaboration."

Before I even finished reading your comment I thought to myself "Oh hell no. I would never buy a GM/Apple collaboration."

Same here...

Like stated Apple is not the best system in many areas but it is the best selling.

Too many others have tried to take the lead but Apple is like Toyota and people line up to buy no matter what anymore.

Like stated my Sandisk MP3 Fuse is light years ahead of the I pod but Apple sells 1000 to 1 units more. In todays world of electronics it is not always the best systems that wins it is the one who markets and license's the best.

I would love to see the Droid take the lead but no matter how hard they try it will be difficult even with a better product.

I hate I tunes so much!!!! But like Apple or not there millions upon millions of their products out there and if the public can intergrate them into their cars it will sell help sell the vehicle. Lets face it they already bought a Apple even with the flaws and stood in line many times to do so. this is the kind of loyalty GM needs.

Report: GM in talks with Google to develop Ford, Microsft Sync rival

05/10/2010, 6:46 PM BY MARK KLEIS

Inside sources have suggested that General Motors is in the process of negotiating with Google to potentially develop an all-new telematics system – aimed at competing with Ford-Microsoft’s highly successful Sync system. Rumors suggest that the telematics system would be based on the Android operating system from Google’s recent foray into the wireless industry.

According to a report from Truck Trend, GM has hopes to team up with Google to create a telematics system capable of rivaling the highly popular Sync system being offered by its cross-town rival, Ford.

Should the report be accurate, a GM-Google partnership could provide for one of the most anticipated four party rivalries in the industry, with GM and Ford squaring off with the help of already intense rivalries existing between Microsoft and Google. The net result, however, could be an edgier telematics system for GM that would offer the user-friendly benefits currently found in Ford’s Sync technology.

Truck Trend also suggests that the GM-Google program would potentially provide for advanced and exclusive abilities such as remote access to vehicle for opening, and/or starting vehicles – a technology not bundled with Ford Sync. The system would also potentially conflict with GM’s current system, OnStar, as the two programs would compete for priority for navigation. Due to GM’s fee-based service for OnStar, the issue could potentially stall or kill talks completely should a compromise not be found.

Ultimately, the partnership could provide for a renewed sense of urgency for Ford and all other automakers to remain vigilantly committed to continuous development of advanced telematics interface systems.

link:

http://www.leftlanenews.com/report-gm-in-talks-with-google-to-develop-fordmicrosft-sync-rival.html

This is a cool development, though didn't the Volt interior designers specifically channel the iPhone?

Yesterday, I read that Android OS is outselling iPhone now.

Could be...it's on several different phones from Motorola and HTC, on Verizon and other carriers.

Like stated Apple is not the best system in many areas but it is the best selling.

Too many others have tried to take the lead but Apple is like Toyota and people line up to buy no matter what anymore.

Like stated my Sandisk MP3 Fuse is light years ahead of the I pod but Apple sells 1000 to 1 units more. In todays world of electronics it is not always the best systems that wins it is the one who markets and license's the best.

I would love to see the Droid take the lead but no matter how hard they try it will be difficult even with a better product.

I hate I tunes so much!!!! But like Apple or not there millions upon millions of their products out there and if the public can intergrate them into their cars it will sell help sell the vehicle. Lets face it they already bought a Apple even with the flaws and stood in line many times to do so. this is the kind of loyalty GM needs.

Android is gobbling up marketshare right now. Palm, Windows Mobile, and Blackberry seem to be the first casualties (in that order). But simple numbers mean that Android is likely to eclipse iPhone in the near future. iPhone is still locked to AT&T in the U.S. (despite rumors that it will expand, it hasn't happened yet), but Android is available on any cell network. There are multiple styles of Android phones... some are touch screen only, some have a rollerball, some have a keyboard verse iPhone being a singular design. If you're an iTunes user, you can still sync non-copyprotected songs to your Android via a free app.

There aren't the development limitations on Android that Apple slaps on the iPhone/iPad app market. There is one iPad.... there are about a dozen similar Android devices coming to market. The B&N Nook runs android and they have another device called the Que also running Android that is coming soon.

Speaking of Android, I've been going to the local Android developer group meetings since Jan, been playing around w/ the APIs...liking what I see. I got my Motorola Droid last week from Verizon to replace my 2yr old LG Chocolate. Liking it so far...

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Android is gobbling up marketshare right now. Palm, Windows Mobile, and Blackberry seem to be the first casualties (in that order). But simple numbers mean that Android is likely to eclipse iPhone in the near future. iPhone is still locked to AT&T in the U.S. (despite rumors that it will expand, it hasn't happened yet), but Android is available on any cell network. There are multiple styles of Android phones... some are touch screen only, some have a rollerball, some have a keyboard verse iPhone being a singular design. If you're an iTunes user, you can still sync non-copyprotected songs to your Android via a free app.

There aren't the development limitations on Android that Apple slaps on the iPhone/iPad app market. There is one iPad.... there are about a dozen similar Android devices coming to market. The B&N Nook runs android and they have another device called the Que also running Android that is coming soon.

Till someone comes out with the next new thing.

Most now are buying the pad till the 4th gen phone cones. The speed of the next and HD will one up everyone till the do their next upgrade.

The 3s is old already and wll be replaced as soon as Apple gets the prototype back they lost in the bar. Lol!

Edited by hyperv6

Just a hypothetical question - what will happen to Apple if Steve Jobs succumbs to cancer?

Just a hypothetical question - what will happen to Apple if Steve Jobs succumbs to cancer?

It will be interesting to see eventually how the company thrives w/o him...I wonder what kind of succession plan they have in place. It's such a cult of personality there. The years when Jobs was gone from Apple in the '80s and '90s the company languished.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Till someone comes out with the next new thing.

Most now are buying the pad till the 4th gen phone cones. The speed of the next and HD will one up everyone till the do their next upgrade.

The 3s is old already and wll be replaced as soon as Apple gets the prototype back they lost in the bar. Lol!

Android is an OS. The next new thing can still run it. People didn't stop using Windows XP just because Windows 7 came out.... but when they buy their next computer it will more than likely have Windows 7 on it.

Android is an OS. The next new thing can still run it. People didn't stop using Windows XP just because Windows 7 came out.... but when they buy their next computer it will more than likely have Windows 7 on it.

I understand that but my point is people blindly run to apple if Jobs sneezes about a new product that often does not use anyone elses system. In theroy Apple should fail for not confotming to a degree but with their marketing they could sell millions on buying a Beta Video player anymore.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We  Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook