Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Thinking abou a Lucerne CXL

gm_rocks

I'm thinking about getting a Buick Lucerne CXL V6 model for my next car.

I've read some reviews (not too detailed though) and it seems it is a good buy. I'm very interested in it's features, comfort and of course the quietness.

The other car I was looking at was the Impala LTZ, but this does not offer the features that I like.

I was wondering if anyone else own a CXL or if they had any comments on it?

I'm thinking about getting a Buick Lucerne CXL V6 model for my next car.

I've read some reviews (not too detailed though) and it seems it is a good buy. I'm very interested in it's features, comfort and of course the quietness.

The other car I was looking at was the Impala LTZ, but this does not offer the features that I like.

I was wondering if anyone else own a CXL or if they had any comments on it?

The ONLY LaCrosse I'd consider is the CXS. (3.6L HF V6, tighter suspension, 17-inch wheels/tires.

The best way to learn about a car your interested in is to drive it and look at a few.

I think I will be doing this Saturday, which should be fun :P

On another note, I went to this one local dealer down the street from me to look at it and they didn't have the CXL I wanted (with my options and floor shifter).

Well the guy said that the Lucernce CXL doesn't come with the floorshifter and only the CXS does (liar) then he took me into the showroom to show me an ugly color Lacrosse (umm.. this isn't a Lucerne) and it was a base model at that.

I just thought I had to add that in there :)

My advice is to wait until GM puts some incentives on the car or holds another fire sale at year's end.

Well from all the automotive "hype", if you would call it, suggests that GM doesn't plan on doing this for the Lucerne.

Not to mention I will need to make a decision and put it in my driveway within 2 months (current old Grand Prix won't last).

I priced it at $31,175 with all the options I want.

I have heard that the 3800 base models move along pretty well but the CXL versions weight almost 200 lbs more than the CX versions. They all use the 2.86:1 axle and have the 197 hp engine. I'm curious to see how a Lucerne responds with this setup. I have driven many 2000-2005 LeSabres and Bonnys with this same setup with the slightly more powerful 205 hp series II motors. They get up to speed in first gear pretty well but feel quite tame on the highway or in second gear in general. I heard that the LaCrosse was getting the 3900 and the Lucerne the 3.6 HF. Not sure if this is true.

Um...

:P

OH damn sorry.....

Thanks Fly.....

LUCERNE CXL......well, I'd vote for a CXL NorthStar. I'd have to drive it first as AutoWeek just had a short drive and someone said it was a bit too wallowy for them. (CXL V8 chassis is a bit softer than CXS with MagnaRide.)

Ulitmately, I'd go CXS because of 18-inchers, MR, bit tighter suspension, more attractive front fascia (with foglamps) etc., etc.

anyone that cant get the 3800 to move needs a driving lesson, the '99 I had was very quick

fine print

It is absolutely wrong for Buick not to offer the SC L32 260/280 in its last years of production. It will smoke the 3900, the 3.6 and nearly competes with the N*. It is an advanced engine and it is a Buick "based" engine. Its also in production and is not that much more expensive in hardware anymore from the NA3800. It should be an inexpensive option on all Lacrosse and Lucerne models. How in the hell did it become a Pontiac engine only !!!!!! Damn it !!!!!

Furthermore a suspension upgrade option should be available without buying the CXS. Call it what you want, it used to be F41 option. GM is blowing it with these "base" model cars and mandatory "packages" to upgrade a car.

OH damn sorry.....

Thanks Fly.....

LUCERNE CXL......well, I'd vote for a CXL NorthStar.  I'd have to drive it first as AutoWeek just had a short drive and someone said it was a bit too wallowy for them.  (CXL V8 chassis is a bit softer than CXS with MagnaRide.)

Ulitmately, I'd go CXS because of 18-inchers, MR, bit tighter suspension, more attractive front fascia (with foglamps) etc., etc.

I understand your thinking, but at $39,000, a little less mpg and higher insurance cost.. I dunno.

The CXS does offer the front looks, turn signal indicators in the mirrors, tighter suspension (I don't really care about this one, I rather have the other suspension.. I like the "lux" feel). The things I care the most about (UltraSonic, Quiet, Features) are all in the CXL V6 :)

Edited by gm_rocks

Tell you the truth I would be happy with the 3.8, I'm not really thinking buy a car for it's "total" performance. As long as it has some power and it is smooth.. I'll like it :)

That's all I needed to hear... Go for it. My only advice would have been to wait if you wanted a bit more power. But if that really doesn't concern you, go for it.

You'll still get great economy with a 3800 CXL - reports of naturally-aspirated 3800 IIs in Bonnevilles and LeSabres netting 25-30mpg+ as a mixed average isn't unheard of. Plus, there's a world of aftermarket mods if you choose to go the performance route in the future.

Lucerne CXL is perhaps the best trim for most people since it offers so many a la carte options of the CX and CXS for an attractive price.

I say, go for it and let us know! :)

anyone that cant get the 3800 to move needs a driving lesson, the '99 I had was very quick

fine print

It is absolutely wrong for Buick not to offer the SC L32 260/280 in its last years of production. It will smoke the 3900, the 3.6 and nearly competes with the N*. It is an advanced engine and it is a Buick "based" engine. Its also in production and is not that much more expensive in hardware anymore from the NA3800. It should be an inexpensive option on all Lacrosse and Lucerne models. How in the hell did it become a Pontiac engine only !!!!!! Damn it !!!!!

Furthermore a suspension upgrade option should be available without buying the CXS. Call it what you want, it used to be F41 option. GM is blowing it with these "base" model cars and mandatory "packages" to upgrade a car.

The only problem was that your 99 model was considerably lighter and had a bit more power and torque than the 06 model. I presume you had the LeSabre. Those cars typically weighted in a little over 3400 lbs. A 06 CXL Lucerne weights a touch under 4000 lbs. That is going to considerably blunt performance in the Lucerne I would think. I agree with your thoughts about the s/c engine. Why Pontiac should have exclusive rights to it makes no sence. This would have been a perfect engine for the V6 CXL model which weights nearly 200 lbs more than the base CX version. Really wish GM had thought of doing that.

The only problem was that your 99 model was considerably lighter and had a bit more power and torque than the 06 model. I presume you had the LeSabre. Those cars typically weighted in a little over 3400 lbs. A 06 CXL Lucerne weights a touch under 4000 lbs. That is going to considerably blunt performance in the Lucerne I would think. I agree with your thoughts about the s/c engine. Why Pontiac should have exclusive rights to it makes no sence. This would have been a perfect engine for the V6 CXL model which weights nearly 200 lbs more than the base CX version. Really wish GM had thought of doing that.

When I drove the Lucerne with the V6 I felt it had more power than my 2000 Regal LSE. I really think the 3.8 can really do well with power. 10 years ago most cars didn't have 200 HP and you were a pretty powerful vehicle if you did. Now so many people try to make it sound like 200HP is like 115 HP in '96. But the truth is the 200 HP engines of today are a lot more efficient and can move faster than the 200 HP of just 10 years ago. I have passed plenty of people/got on to on-ramps just fine with my 3.8, I see no real problem with its power abilities. Those who fall in to the mindset that HP should be at least 250 now will probably never really use it that often anyway.

Thanks Ponchoman, Im glad someone agrees with me about the L32, I mean Buick never even got it but stayed with the L67, and now nothing and the engine is in its last years. Such a shame, to me that would be the ultimate Lucerne or Lacrosse with the last run of the engines and its its best form (L32). How about a sleeper Lacrosse with everything the comp G came with ? Tap shift, best suspension, special facia, three ports, nice 18" wheel and tires.....in a two door.....geeze :(

My 99 Anniversary was an Eighty Eight. The 50th (49-99) was a fully loaded car. around 3700lb I think ? They used NOS Regency memory seats, a different 16" wheel from the LSS. It was a sweetheart. We also have a 97 LSS.........and a 90 Regency with the LN3-C,winter car &.......a 90 Ciera Cruiser with the 3300,winter car ........and :lol: the origional..1986 LeSabre 2dr Limited with the origional FWD 90* Buick engine...the 3.0 LN-7, restored and pampered, and........I once had a 90 Regal Limited with the L27.

Thanks Ponchoman, Im glad someone agrees with me about the L32, I mean Buick never even got it but stayed with the L67, and now nothing and the engine is in its last years. Such a shame, to me that would be the ultimate Lucerne or Lacrosse with the last run of the engines and its its best form (L32). How about a sleeper Lacrosse with everything the comp G came with ? Tap shift, best suspension, special facia, three ports, nice 18" wheel and tires.....in a two door.....geeze  :(

My 99 Anniversary was an Eighty Eight. The 50th (49-99) was a fully loaded car. around 3700lb I think ? They used NOS Regency memory seats, a different 16" wheel from the LSS. It was a sweetheart. We also have a 97 LSS.........and a 90 Regency with the LN3-C,winter car &.......a 90 Ciera Cruiser with the 3300,winter car ........and  :lol: the origional..1986 LeSabre 2dr Limited with the origional FWD 90* Buick engine...the 3.0 LN-7, restored and pampered, and........I once had a 90 Regal Limited with the L27.

Your not thinking razoredge. If Buick put either of the two supercharged 3800s in the Lacrosse or Lucerne, it would probably outperform both the 3.6 and Northstar. Buick was always punished because their engines were just too damn good. Remember the Grand National vs Corvette? :angry: Buick would be a much better car company if they didn't have to deal with GM's bull$h!.