Sign in to follow this  
NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

2011 Chevrolet Cruze to use new cartridge-style oil filter

2011 Chevrolet Cruze to use new cartridge-style oil filter

05/10/2010, 4:22 PM BY DREW JOHNSON

The 2011 Chevrolet Cruze promises to deliver at least 40mpg on the highway, but the compact sedan will also come packing some other green features. General Motors has announced that the new Cruze will feature a cartridge-style oil filter, making oil changes and recycling efforts much easier.

Replacing the industry-standard steel canister-style oil filter, the Cruze’s cartridge-style oil filter promises to make vehicle servicing much easier, and will also help in the recycling process. The cartridge-style oil filter is made of only paper in plastic — versus the metal structure of a steel canister-style oil filter — eliminating the need to separate the metal housing from the rest of the oil filter during the recycling process.

Another advantage of the Cruze’s cartridge-style oil filter is the ease of service. The filter is located at the top of the engine, allowing for easy access and the reduced possibility of an oil spill.

The housing for the filter is part of the engine and is designed to last for the life of the car. A screw-on cap replaces the typical canister-to-engine mating surface, further reducing the possibility of a leak.

The cartridge-style oil filter will be standard of all 1.4L and 1.8L Cruze models.

link:

http://www.leftlanenews.com/2011-chevrolet-cruze-to-use-new-cartridge-style-oil-filter.html

Sounds like 1962 all over again with the old canisters but now mounted up high to leak all over the WHOLE engine & bay.Turns cynicism off

The sludge collects in the can & MUST be scraped out if you miss any or it gets past the filter it will plug up the ports on your hydrolic lifters/followers or any other actuators & fail really bad on lifters or piston crown oilier jets.

As they say a picture is worth a thousand words Chevy-Cruze-Cartridge-Filter.jpg?1273503950

I had to Google it it was bothering me I like the design of it but stand by my previous post about the sludge been there done that the fleet owner didn't like it either

Edited by 67impss

BMW has been doing this for a while, and it makes oil changes a cinch. I use an extractor and don't need to crawl under the vehicle. It's mounted high up... very easy to reach. Less wasteful, too, as it's a paper cartridge, not some hard-to-recycle metal canister.

Gee I must have been doing advanced development work they last few years. I have been changing these for a good while now on Eco's

These work fine and are very easy to change. Never really had any sludge issues in the Eco.

They make a special short socket for these and Delco has two part numbers. One with a cap one with out.

This is just GM's way to kiss up to the tree huggers with something that they were doing to save money anyway. I like how they say they are doing many things to make more MPG but it also adds more perfromance too.

I love the cartridge style oil filter in BOTH my '84 Mercedes 500SEC & wife's '88 BMW 7.

It's easier, cleaner & more logical, I'm all for it.

I must be missing something here....and it's new! Wow!

Wait, all of my Ecotecs have this.......Hmmm.....

Thing that bothers me is that quite a few auto part stores "oil specials" only use the can filter, not the cartridge in the deal...

Edited by daves87rs

This is both good and bad.

Good because the filter is accessible topside meaning it is easier to change and the cartridge is generally cheaper to manufacture.

It is bad because it precludes the after market addition features like bypass filtration where a bypass valve opens if and when the filter gets clogged to guarantee oil flow. This is important for extending drain intervals beyond what is recommended by the manufacturer and/or for finer efficiency filter mediums which remove >99 % of impurities because such applications and articles are more likely to get clogged and a bypass valve serves as a necessary safety measure.

BTW, most good synthetic oils have additive packages that are good for 10,000~25,000 miles, so it is all about having good filtration if you want to change your oil every 15,000 miles or even longer. That, and either having an oil level sensor or checking the dip stick with a reasonable enough frequency to make sure you are not running low on oil due to leakages or oil consumption.

Edited by dwightlooi

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We  Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook