NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Buick GL8 in China spied

30 posts in this topic

PONTIAC06    22

wow...call me crazy, but I actually like that...

Minivan's may not be in GM's North American plans, or Buick fans's hopes, but I think that could actually do well here...

Z-06    493

Wow! Spending all that money to develop it for China only and we aren't even getting a Chevy version for this market, which has already been developed, tested and going to be produced elsewhere. *shakes head*

Fixed.

ZL-1    160

We don't know what platform this is on. IIRC the concept was based on the Uplander/Opel Sintra platform, so... Unless this thing moved to a newer architecture such as Epsilon, I wouldn't get too crazy about it making it to the US.

ZL-1    160
Do we care what platform it's on as long as it looks good and performs well?

Yes, we should care, because if we didn't we'd still have the J-body Cavalier, 1980s Toyota Corollas, and so on... Consumers (or potential consumers) caring about these things forces automakers to do better, because those that improve benefit over the long term.

Also, IIRC the Uplander/Sintra platform was criticized for being too narrow. If this new GL8 rides on the same platform, the question becomes if that width issue (important one in the US) was fixed and if that fix makes the car compliant with US safety regs.

Edited by ZL-1

Drew Dowdell    5,159

Platforms can be improved... witness Epsilon and Sigma. I don't care if this is on the Uplander platform as long as GM took the appropriate steps to improve it to the current market norm. That is certainly not a Terazza interior there.....

ZL-1    160
Platforms can be improved... witness Epsilon and Sigma. I don't care if this is on the Uplander platform as long as GM took the appropriate steps to improve it to the current market norm. That is certainly not a Terazza interior there.....

That was certainly not a STS interior on the Chinese SLS either, yet streching Sigma made it unable to comply with US side impact standards. My point was precisely that.

Edited by ZL-1

That was certainly not a STS interior on the Chinese SLS either, yet streching Sigma made it unable to comply with US side impact standards. My point was precisely that.

I'm sure they could have made the LWB Sigma comply with US side impact standards, GM was just being cheap and didn't want to spend anymore on a dead-in-the-water product.

Platforms can be improved... witness Epsilon and Sigma.

Or they can be ignored, witness the W-body that goes on and on...

Drew Dowdell    5,159

Well... I think it made it unable to get a 5 star rating.... I don't think stretching it turned it into a Chery or something.

Drew Dowdell    5,159

You're going to have a hard time convincing me that the W-body wasn't improved over it's lifetime. It has to have been the one platform that got more engine variations than any other GM platform out there, 2.3 DOHC, 2.5 iron duke, 2.8 V6, 3.1 V6, 3.1 Turbo V6, 3.4 V6, 3.4 DOHC V6, 3.4 VVT V6, 3.5 DOHC V6, 3.5 VVT V6, HF3.6 V6, 3800, 3800 s/c, 3.9 VVT V6, 5.3 V8. It's gone through 4 major revisions, offered in 3 body configurations with multiple suspension setups. The packaging may not be up to current standards as the platform gets phased out, but you can't say GM didn't improve it over the years.

I'm not a fan.... but then again I like Coupes, hardtop 4drs, fastbacks & Dual Cowl Phaetons.

You'll never see me excited about a minivan.

I find pop-tarts & scientific calculators to be much more exciting than the nicest of minivans.

Z-06    493

It is Delta II.

It's a "van" does the US market need it?

Vans still command 15% of the market share in US. That is close to 1.2 million vehicles for a 11M per annum market. If GM gets even a 10% of that market, that is a lot of vehicles they will be moving. The main idea of GM's streamlining was to have presence in each segment without too much of fuss. If GM should be believed, then the mass W-Body styled vehicles, dependent on plant capacity should be irrelevant and vehicles like these should get priorities.

If business case was made for CTS wagon, then this one certainly demands one.

Z-06    493

Moltie, W-body has been a red-headed step child of the media. Since 1989, it has seen no less than 4 revisions, that is one every seven years - not bad for GM's lethargic standards. No one complains about the Camry platform which has not gotten a serious clean sheet overhaul since 1994/5. Everything has been updated to be called "brand new."

RjION    59

It is Delta II.

Vans still command 15% of the market share in US. That is close to 1.2 million vehicles for a 11M per annum market. If GM gets even a 10% of that market, that is a lot of vehicles they will be moving. The main idea of GM's streamlining was to have presence in each segment without too much of fuss. If GM should be believed, then the mass W-Body styled vehicles, dependent on plant capacity should be irrelevant and vehicles like these should get priorities.

If business case was made for CTS wagon, then this one certainly demands one.

It's a VAN does the US market want another one?

Drew Dowdell    5,159

If GM has already invested in the design and production of this van for China, what's the hurt in selling another 70,000 - 100,000 here in the U.S. also?

Paolino    99

If GM has already invested in the design and production of this van for China, what's the hurt in selling another 70,000 - 100,000 here in the U.S. also?

I still can't believe people buy them. I've thought they were ugly since they first debuted about 3 decades ago.

Intrepidation    848

I still can't believe people buy them. I've thought they were ugly since they first debuted about 3 decades ago.

Nothing is more practical than a minivan.

we may yet see this in Canada... as an FYI to those wondering why the Orlando lives in Canada and not the USA, it's worth pointing out that the Uplander/SV6 were in the top ten best selling vehicles in Canada thru 2008.

Can't argue w. that logic.

Z-06    493

Paulie, who would you chose? A blonde handsome young man who is just for show, fights with you and does nothing; or a not so pretty man who does your laundry, makes you food, takes care of your daily business, gives you a bath, and after a tiresome day is ready to give you an awesome BJ? :P

Van practicality cannot be beaten by any vehicle for the people who need them. Too bad the design the vehicle is generica special.

Z-06    493

It's a VAN does the US market want another one?

Which GM van is currently on sale in this segment to call this Buick another one? :rolleyes:

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.