Sign in to follow this  
NewsFeeder

Spy Shots: Next Volkswagen Passat caught towing

11 posts in this topic

NewsFeeder    9

Filed under: Spy Photos, Sedan, Volkswagen

passat-2-copy-2.jpg
2012 Volkswagen Passat - Click above for high-res image gallery

A fresh batch of photos has turned up in our inbox of the next generation Volkswagen Passat, which will be debuting next year. The only problem is that we are not certain if this is the larger North American specification Passat that will be built in Chattanooga Tennessee or the slightly smaller European model.

The new sedan does feature many of the same styling elements that we've seen on the sketches that Volkswagen has released of the new mid-size (NMS) sedan, as well as other recently introduced models like the Golf, Polo and Touareg. The new horizontal bar grille is visible through the front camouflage along with the rising rocker panel crease that flows into the rear wheel arch.

When the U.S. Passat arrives, it will be offered with a choice of the 2.0-liter TDI diesel found in the Jetta, a hybrid and probably at least two gas engines. Check out our gallery of high-res spy shots below.

[source: Carpix]

Spy Shots: Next Volkswagen Passat caught towing originally appeared on Autoblog on Wed, 12 May 2010 14:57:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=rltrML21YF4:_MqB2y59s2w:wF9xT autoblog?i=rltrML21YF4:_MqB2y59s2w:V_sGL
rltrML21YF4

View the full article

Looks like a generic FWD sedan w/ the predictable long front overhang and short wheel to door length. Meh.

regfootball    252

Looks like a generic FWD sedan w/ the predictable long front overhang and short wheel to door length. Meh.

IOW, a lot like the next gen Malibu, too!

give GM credit, the current malibu is a Phaeton rip off. the next one is a next gen / this gen Passat ripoff too.

except GM is going to shorten the wheelbase and add to the overhangs this time around! Exactly what they tried to get away from for the 08 model!!!!!

The key for the Passat is always going to be how does it drive and how nice is the interior. Passat must maintain its main attributes, even if they cheapen it.

regfootball    252

Malibu doesn't have an obscene front overhang IMO.

the current one doesn't. i am talking about the next one, that does. The front's huge OH is disguised well because the rear's is even more obscene.

my apologies if I can't share Mr. Doanes excellent photo....permission asked? if need be....

chevymalibu2012.jpg

now look at the top Passat photo and look at this chevy. Now see my comment above. GM is in love with pilfering VW design.

To be honest, in this photo, the Malibu looks quite attractive.........maybe it will grow on me......

With a Malibu that nice, why make the next iMpala FWD? next IMP should be zeta2....

Edited by regfootball

So many of these designs (mid size FWD sedans) have a very similar shape and proportions, can't really call one derivative of the other...the brand differentiation is in the details--placement of swage lines, greenhouse openings and shapes, trim, etc..

regfootball    252

Isn't it kinda hard to pilfer a design that is being developed in parallel?

this Passat spy photo is really an evolution on the current Passat. Kind of a tapered egg shape. The next Malibu really just stretches it out and has a longer hood and trunk, and has more of a defined shape to the deck than a teardrop. I guess the Bu does sort of miss the hofmeister kink here....but the door panels look sort of close...with the bottom edge of the door rising slightly and the back edge of the door kind of swerving up at a simple one line angle...

Edited by regfootball

regfootball    252

I am also referring to the bottom door edge, which is straight now, but appears to rise on the next gen, just like it does on the current passat. Most of the lines on the current gen Malibu are fairly horizontal. The lines on the new Malibu rise more and then taper back towards the trunk lip, which is more like the current passat. Current passat is more of a tapered egg shape.. Current malibus lines and greenhouse are more upright and blocky like the phaeton and last gen passat.

Edited by regfootball

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this